• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes Mid price scope comparison/questions

squirrelsnpr

Private
Minuteman
Sep 25, 2009
Oakdale, CA
Can you guys help me with deciding on a mid priced scope. I think I have narrowed it down to the following:
1. Bushnell 6500 2.5 - 16
2. Weaver Tactical 3 - 15 or 4 - 20. This is their new FFP.
3. Sightron 6 - 24 with their new MOA rectile and MOA turrets.
4. Vortex Viper PST 4 - 16 FFP with MOA recticle

I really like the idea of an MOA recticle. The FFP is a nice option but I don't mind a 2nd FP. The light recticle also is just another nice feature, but not a requirement.

Right now I am leaning towards the Sightron but have never seen one. I hate trying to judge a scope when I'm in the local gun store and not in the field. Opinions?

Re: Mid price scope comparison/questions

I have the 6500 2.5-16....It's very good as far as glass quality and tracking, but doesn't offer really any of the other features the others have. I also wish there were more reticule options. I also have a PST on order, and the reviews on the re-release seem to be very positive for the price point. The new Weaver tactical is supposed to be very good, and many of the people on here really like the Sightron as well. I would leave the 6500 out of the list, since you mentioned the others and the Bushnell kind of sticks out of the bunch as far as lack of features compared to the others. I think any of the other three will do the job for you, and it depends on what you're wanting to spend. Personally, as far as features per price-point goes, I'd go with the PST which is what I did, but it all comes down to what features you'd like to have and price. I don't think you can go wrong with any of them.

Do not forget the Bushnell Elite Tacticals. These are illuminated FFP Mil reticles. The come in 3-12 and 6-24.

Only thing about the Elite Tacticals is they are MIL/MIL. From his original post, it seems like he's wanting to stay MOA/MOA.

If you are a MOA guy disregard the Bushnell, and the weavers, as they are either MIL/MIL or MIL/MOA. Personally I think the MIL/MIL is easier to work with than MOA. The best choice out of those would be the sightron 6-24 power, simply because they have really nice glass, they are proven in that many here have abused them and know that they track well. The MOA dot reticle which looks closely to the IOR MP8 dot is a fantastic design. The Sightron has 100 MOA internal elevation adjustment which also give more adjustment range but also aids in tracking(as when you are adjusting to the upper end of the elevation in most scopes tracking starts to go a little off.) Vortex is also a very good choice but only lacks the adjustment range of the sightron. It would be a close choice between Vortex and the Sightron. If I was doing f-class I would pick the sightron, otherwise the Vortex PST.