• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Mid price spotting scope recommendations.

Texaslongshot

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 16, 2018
Looking for a spotting scope $1500.00 or less. Will be used primarily for hunting and spotting at long range shooting events 1-2 times per year. Just wanted to see what options i should be looking at.

There's many great options under $1,500.00. As a long standing supporting vendor here on the forum it is our pleasure to assist in discussing different options and opportunities with you. Please give a call, 516-217-1000, when you have a few moments

If you don't need a reticle eyepiece, you might want to look at the Pentax PF 80 ED or EDA (angled). The bodies go for around $700 new. I've seen them cheaper used. They take a1.25" eyepiece, so you can go as crazy or as sensible as you want with that. I have one with the Baader Hyperion 8-24mm zoom, and have zero complaints about the image quality. I got to compare it side by side with a Kowa (882TSN I think, couldn't swear to it though), and to my eyes the Pentax had a sharper more contrasty image. That was at 27x, because the Kowa had the fixed eyepiece. The Kowa did have more FOV and eye relief, but that's because of my choice of eyepiece. I'm sure the Kowa blows it away at higher magnification. YMMV

Razor 65/85mm or Leupold Golden Ring 60mm or Kowa non-flourite lens models would fit the bill.

Better yet, call Doug!

Living on my budget, I'm just using a 15-60x telescope. Certainly not ideal, but it does work for bench rest.

In the cheaper end of things, Vortex Diamondback 20-60 or Athlon Argos 20-60?