• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes mid range coyotes

skeetlee

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 13, 2008
Central Illinois
Any advise on a scope for mid range coyote killin? Problem I have here in Illinois is not knowing if the dog is 350 yards or 430? One never knows, and I don't have a range finder good enough to bounce a coyote. My question would be this. Is there a reticle that would help me determine how far out the coyote is? Maybe I just need a better range finder? Any ideas on what I might need? I like the votex line of scopes.
Im thinking maybe a mil mil scope? Ill cut a piece of steel the size of a coyote and learn to range the dam thing. I just need the right scope to start with. Thanks men! Lee

Any quality scope with mil or moa reticles will do what you want. When I get on stand I get my rangefinder out and range different landmarks before I even start to call. That way when one does come in there is no time wasted figuring yardage. I just adjust dope and squeeze.

Last edited:
^ This. When it comes to minute of coyote, most any good scope with a decent reticle does the trick. Speaking of tricks, knowing where they will pull up and pose for the picture is the real trick. I never seem to range that particular spot, but having a good flat shooter usually eases the pain. :)

We have several farms we can hunt on around here where I live. Most of these farms are row crop sections in mile squares. These dam coyotes hang out in the middle of these sections all the time. They just sit and look at ya. What I like to do is crawl up the waterways to within 200-500 yards "The closer the better of course" and then take my shot. tuff hunting but it does work, when the wind is right. We call some, but it doesn't prove all that effective. Night time calling is best. we use 12ga buck shot for that.
I haven't hunted for several years now. but this is how we used to do it anyway. There are lots of coyotes here in Illinois, but they are smart. I want to surprise one or two this fall. Looks like the corn will be out early. and the early hunting was always the easiest. Im buying parts as I speak, so I will soon be ready. I just need a decent scope. 3x9 is all I used in the past, nothing fancy. I have killed several with a 3x9 but I sure missed a lot of them two. I am getting older now, and if im going to crawl through a cold wet waterway, I want to have the best gear I can to improve my odds.
I build and shoot benchrest rifles, so im not all that up to date anymore on the varmint/tactial side of optics. I didn't know if there was a scope out there one might suggest. thanks again. Lee

Instead of ranging the coyote.....range your environment.

Preferably in advance.

This.

Chances are for coyotes you are going to have to move into a stand/hide and wait while you call or just observe. While you do this, draw a basic range card of everything in front of you concentrating on your largest lanes of fire. Range easily identifiable objects and plot those points on your card.

Now when something appears, you'll have a good idea of distance.

This.

Chances are for coyotes you are going to have to move into a stand/hide and wait while you call or just observe. While you do this, draw a basic range card of everything in front of you concentrating on your largest lanes of fire. Range easily identifiable objects and plot those points on your card.

Now when something appears, you'll have a good idea of distance.

Yep. Good enough for minute of coyote (MOC).

Yep. Good enough for minute of coyote (MOC).

Yep or at least something to check a more accurate ranging against on the fly. If you know that big rock is 530 yards and you do some reticle math on a coyote way in front of it and it comes out at 700 yards, you're doing something wrong.

ETA - I've actually drawn a range card at night in the pitch black with a LumiPen. Well, I've tried, because its like writing with a vasoline stick but it worked :D

Last edited:
Get a good Mil/Mil scope and better rangefinder. You will then be able (depending on your ability and equipment) to shoot any range you desire. Then standing yotes will then get laid down.

Last edited:
A good scope, for not a lot of money, is the Vortex 6.5-20x44 with mil. dot. Doug at Cameraland has these for $329.00 including shipping. I hunt varmints with a couple of other old guys and I think we're up to six of these. It sounds like your method of reaching your firing point would preclude the use of a range card. I would recommend a new range finder. There are lots of good threads on the LRFs and I would recommend buying the best you can afford. If you're shooting UKD they are an extremely useful piece of equipment. I finally bought the Bushnell 1-mile Arc 10x50s to replace my old Bushnell 800 Yardagepro Compact. Both the guys I hunt with are using Leupold 1000s of some sort. They are adequate to well past 350yds. on much smaller targets than coyotes. Check these out Leupold RX-1000i TBR DNA Laser Rangefinder 1000 Yard True Ballistic.

Good luck and good hunting.

G7 BR2 rangefinder and an illuminated scope are all you need . Spend the $$$$$ on a great rangefinder .

Fast bullets and center mass yield a lot of compensation :D
Any marked reticle and some ranging practice will certainly take care of the rest. As per usual I always steer towards SWFA SS first, but almost every manufacturer offers something that will get you where you're going.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My preference: Range Finding Bino's. Range the environment and expected routes when you sit down prior to calling... Know where your limits are....

The reticle will always work. I'd hate to drop a grand on a "better" rangefinder to find that it won't always get the job done. A rangefinder is great for precision work, but coyote killing ain't exactly precise. Having to switch between the RF and the rifle scope may blow your cover, or not work fast enough to range one on the move. I don't see how anyone would consider anything to be quicker/easier than reticle ranging. You don't have to be precise and waste time with calculations. Simply have a general idea of the coyote size relative to the range and reticle and you can range almost instantly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk