• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Mid range-Mid priced optics

_Shay_

thing 2
Minuteman
Jun 5, 2009
USA
Alright, reviewing what is out there, looking at what is out there in the 3-10 range, we have

<span style="font-weight: bold">Vortex PSt 2.5-10x44</span>-$600

Mrad reticle and turrets OR MOA reticle and turrets
illumination
zero stops
fixed parallax
25 mils or 86 moa of adjustment
SFP

<span style="font-weight: bold">Leupold VX-R Patrol 3-9</span>-$600

Mil/Mil with TMR Reticle
Illumination
Fixed (I think) Parralax
Low profile turrets
Not sure on amount of travel, anyone know?
SFP

<span style="font-weight: bold">SWFA 3-9x42 </span>-$600

Mil/MIl - Mil Quad Reticle
Not illuminated
FFP
Fixed Parallax
Good amount of Adjustment

<span style="font-weight: bold">Weaver 3-10</span> $400 (easily for 300)
Mil/mil
fixed parallax
no illum.
sfp
limited adjustment and 1" tube

Now, can anyone with experience with these shine some light? Just looking at decent mid range scopes for use on an SPR type AR, AR308s, ETC.

Which would you prefer? Any alternatives?

Re: Mid range-Mid priced optics

What about the 3-10x weaver.......... I have one, glass is on par with the leupolds and vortex scopes ive got. Downside, its 1".

The lack of adjustment range also hampers that one as well, but I'm not sure what the Leupold or SWFA have either.

I posted a similar question a week ago, as I am considering the Viper PST 2.5-10 or the SS 3-9, and the SS was recommended by the majority of the responders.

However, nobody chimed in WHY they felt that the CC was a better choice.

Happy birthday

And perhaps the weaver 3-15 has a place in there? I think they can be had for $700 or $600'ish used.

I've got a Weaver 3-10x...very pleased with its brightness, clarity and repeatability. Yes, it is elevation limited compared to others but with a 20MOA base you'd probably be good to near 1000 with a 308.

Mine is on a FV-SR 22LR trainer in Burris Signature Zee rings, and with 20MOA of inserts (0 MOA base) I've got 12 mils of elevation from a 50yd zero using CCI SV.

You can add the Burris MTAC 3.5-10x to your list. I have one on the way and looked at many of the scopes you're looking at. I got the MTAC for a very good price. Since this is my first MIL/MIL scope and my first optic over 4x, I'm not sure what features I really want/need, so I'm getting my feet wet with the MTAC. There wasn't much info out there about the MTAC line, especially compared to the PST, SS, etc. If I find I never make use of the mil-dots or adjust it side from zeroing, maybe I'll get a duplex reticle scope instead.

Another scope I considered (in addition to the ones you listed) is the MidwayUSA exclusive Vortex Viper HS 5-15x. A bit more magnification than you specified, but maybe you'll like the specs.

What I found was that the SS 3-9x probably has the best reputation and resale value. I didn't read much about bad glass (most reviews say it's excellent for the price). It arguably has the best durability, best clicks/tracking. No fancy reticle or parallax adjustment either. The price reflects all of this.

You might like the following comparo:
http://opticsthoughts.com/index.php...l-part-1&catid=4:rifle-scope-reviews&Itemid=4

I have the leupold it's a decent SPR type scope. 6mils of adj in one turn I think 15-18 overall. Not a lot but still enough to get you to 600 which is about all I'd use a 3-9 w/o parallax adj for anyways. If you're interested in a used one hit me up I will be replacing it with more magnification soon.

Loved the SS 3-9x with a Mildot while I had it. Reticle wasnt too large shooting at 1" pasties at 100. <span style="text-decoration: line-through">Spotting a .308 with 9x isnt hard at all either.</span>

Edit: finding the holes at least...

I keep seeing/reading how good of a scope the Vortex 2.5-10x is though as well. Haven't used one or have any firsthand experience, but I'm a fan of the idea of the ret (MOA and Mil-based options, and the design of it) though.

The SS scopes look pretty nice, but I'm just not a fan of the Mil Quad reticle. Some may flame me for this, a mil is a mil, but I just think it's a little too busy for a mil based reticle. If I could find a mil dot 3-9, that would be great.

I have a VX-R Patrol. I find the reticle to be too thick. Much thicker than the MP-8 in my IOR 2.5-10x42 FFP or the standard mil-dot in various other scopes. Heck, even the reticle in my cheapie BSA Tactical 4-14x44 FFP on my MkII is nicer. I'm going to replace it with the Vortex Viper HS 5-15x44 or another IOR 2.5-10 FFP if I can find a used one for a good price.

Would you consider the price point 650? Or 850? Or under 1k? For me a good mid range scope with mid price is less then 850.00

What about adding these:
3-12x Bushnell Mil/Mil
5-15x Vortex mil/mil
4-16x Vortex mil/mil

I have owned everyone on these scopes so I'll give you my opinion on them. These are going to be some fast ramblings as I'm pressed for time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _Shay_ ©</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Alright, reviewing what is out there, looking at what is out there in the 3-10 range, we have

_Shay_ © said:
<span style="font-weight: bold">Vortex PSt 2.5-10x44</span>-$600</div></div>

If I were doing a precision bolt gun and couldn't pony up any further with cash I would choose this scope. The reticle by far is the best offered out of all these scopes, IMO. Being able to cleanly quarter a egg at 400 yards is rather nice. As good as the PST's are they are still a pretty thin walled scope. That said I've personally seen someone fall down a steep embankment, watched the PST bounce off a large rock, then the guy landed on top of the rifle. He successfully shot a deer POA @ 100 yards two hours later. I don't like how tall the turrets sit for SPR use.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _Shay_ ©</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-weight: bold">Leupold VX-R Patrol 3-9</span>-$600</div></div>

My favorite for the "SPR" or "Truck Gun". I love the weight and ultra low profile design. Reticle is a little lacking as it's not their (Leupold's) true TMR reticle. This reticle is thick, covers a one inch dot at 100 yards. The fire dot is great for quick target acquisition when running and gunning with a SPR, or a tiny red dot for low light hunting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _Shay_ ©</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-weight: bold">SWFA 3-9x42 </span>-$600</div></div>
First I'll state I have not used the Mil-quad version of the 3-9. Being a FFP I would lose the reticle in deep timber with the Mil-dot reticle.

Very rugged scope. Another very choice for a precision bolt gun on a budget. Or truck gun. There's not much to brag about with these scopes. Nor is there much to complain about either. Although lacking in some type of illumination at least you gain FFP. Which does lend itself for being a great SPR scope. Just keep in mind it's another thick reticle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _Shay_ ©</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: line-through">Weaver 3-10</span></span></div></div> Weaver 3-15 Tactical $700
For better comparison I used the Weaver Tactical. This scope is built like a tank. Think I'm joking? Blind fold someone and hand them a NF and Weaver Tac. Locking turrets are nice. Not great, not bad. Reticle could use some work. For another $100 your getting parallax adjustment, locking turrets, illumination, and FFP. I would not run this one a SPR, way to heavy. I liked it, but wasn't blown away by it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _Shay_ ©</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Now, can anyone with experience with these shine some light? Just looking at decent mid range scopes for use on an SPR type AR, AR308s, ETC.

Which would you prefer? Any alternatives?
</div></div>

I like everyone of them. However I believe you need to match the scope to the job your asking it to do.

Which scope would I run on a AR-10? The SS 3-9 only. Listen, the other scopes are great but haven't been around long enough for me to trust them. Until someone puts 3,000 plus rounds down range with one of the other scopes on a AR-10 I'll stick to what I know will work. I've been a genie pig way to often.