• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Mid range scope durability ?

shoots100

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 11, 2010
NYS Flatlands
While looking for a used mid priced (For me $600- $900) scope for a PRS rig, I've watched + read reviews about "brand X's" scopes pro's and con's when new, but can't find any updated scope reviews about their durability after said scope brand was used for awhile in the field or comps.
There's some great used but not abused mid priced scopes for sale on this site, but are they gonna shit the bed right after I get through the second stage of a match ?
Buying a brand with a lifetime warranty is a given, but I'd rather buy a scope with the intention of knowing I will most likely not have to use the warranty.
I'm not in the position to "Buy once, Cry once" now (As are probably 90% of the people reading this), but won't argue with a person who want's to "Buy once and Cry twice about buying a $3,000 dollar scope you can also use as a Ice cube/hammer/pry bar and selling it to me for $800 !
In the real world, there are a lot of used athlon/burris/bushnell/vortex scope's that all come with a lifetime warranty, yet I can find hardly anything on these scope brands durability over time.
SJC

90% of people simply aren't going to do something to their scope that would break it even if its not a super durable optic. Chances are if its rated for larger caliber recoil it should be fine durability wise and dropping your rifle is more likely to mess with the zero than actually ruin the scope itself. From what I've read on line the vortex is known for being particularly durable but so long as you buy a brand/model thats actively used in military contracts you should have something with good durability.

Durability for less than 1K:

-Bushy DMR/lrhsi/lrtsi
-Burris XTR2
-SWFA
-NF SHV

I’d never trust a vortex that isn’t a G2 or an Athlon that isn’t a Cronus.

Thanks for the replies and link, but I was looking more for the durability of a scope's functions over time, I/E turret and focus functions.
My used 4x16 PST didn't hold up as well as yours after about 800 rounds of 260 +308 and it'll be on its way to Vortex.
That's the reason why I'm looking for another scope.

Get a Burris xtr. Who cares if a scope is used if with the transferrable warranty?

Reactions: hypno02
Thanks for the replies and link, but I was looking more for the durability of a scope's functions over time, I/E turret and focus functions.
My used 4x16 PST didn't hold up as well as yours after about 800 rounds of 260 +308 and it'll be on its way to Vortex.
Www.opticsthoughts.com

As of now, I've put 2700 rounds of 6.5CM through my RPR with the Viper HST 6-24 X50. Not a single issue. I haven't dropped it or knocked it around, though. I bought it brand new for $640.

Thank You, Exactly what I was searching for.
I had narrowed it down to getting a used XTR, PSTII or BTR , As I've found some of those scope models in my price range and they have features I'm looking for.
After reading in the link provided, I procured a used BTR from a member here.
I like the HST, but I'm in need of FFP and Mil reticle.
It's good to know that it's seen a lot of use and is still ticking.
I'm not knocking Vortex, as I've had a lot of good years with my PST.
I've been looking at getting a FFP/Mil scope for awhile and I think it knew it's PRS days were numbered.
I guess it shit the bed during a match to push me over the edge.
The repaired PST will not be collecting dust.

Reactions: AMGtuned
I've got a 30 year old bushnell sportsview "Walmart special" that has been on just about every gun in my safe. It's never been a problem to get zeroed, though I don't trust the tracking- but it holds zero. So long as you remember that the scope is not a framing hammer, and don't fumble-fuck your rifle onto a concrete pad, pretty much any "mid-tier" optic from a quality manufacturer should do you well. The reports of optics going down- while real- are vastly overblown. The truism "treat me right and I'll tell my friends; treat me wrong and I'll tell everyone" is exponentially more true on the internet.

I have a couple of Bushnell Tactical Elites (DMR and LRHS) that have lasted for a long time with no issues whatsoever. Focus is still spot on, turrets still track true, glass and image quality have not deteriorated. My DMR is a first gen and I got it back in 2008ish and its been through many, many, many comps. Its a workhorse for a mid-high range scope.

Thank You, Exactly what I was searching for.
I had narrowed it down to getting a used XTR, PSTII or BTR , As I've found some of those scope models in my price range and they have features I'm looking for.
After reading in the link provided, I procured a used BTR from a member here.
I like the HST, but I'm in need of FFP and Mil reticle.
It's good to know that it's seen a lot of use and is still ticking.
I'm not knocking Vortex, as I've had a lot of good years with my PST.
I've been looking at getting a FFP/Mil scope for awhile and I think it knew it's PRS days were numbered.
I guess it shit the bed during a match to push me over the edge.
The repaired PST will not be collecting dust.
The guy that writes it, "Dark Lord of Optics" , is a member here. @koshkin has a vast knowledge of optics, and is definitely a valued, highly contributing member here. Good luck with your Athlon, I have never tried them. I'm still rocking a pile of gen 1 PST scopes, until my win mag gets new glass in another month-ish.