• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Mid-range Tactical Scopes

Re: Mid-range Tactical Scopes

Well done.

I agree with your assessment of the monarch. I run two of them on a pair of 308's out to 1000 and back. Adjustments have always been spot on and zero's never moved. Mine are pre-X, Tactical’s (one with a gen-2 copy reticle and other is mil-dot) the turrets have 10 moa per turn. Everything else appears to be the same. They are a great value, used, at around $600 but dont think I would pay full price for them. Throw in mil based turrets and I might change my mind...

Very nice, does this mean there is a part 2 on the way?

Great write up , just like your others . I do appreciate your candidness and honest thoughts , As it seems as many of the reviews I've read lately are full of nothing but fluff and praise .

Ilya,

Well done! Thanks so much for sharing your expertise in evaluating these scopes.

If I can ever help you with anything, please get in touch! Hope to see you at SHOT again.

Ceylon

Good Info, Glad I went with the Monarch (non-X though) 3-12x42. And for a price of $320 thanks to a going out of business sale, I was more than happy, and this article made me feel that much better.

Very nice! Thanks

On the side note, Bushnell Elite series deserves a spot there too

Nicely done! I'm still reading through the High End Tactical series as time permits, but this was a great review. Frankly, I was a little surprised at your assessment of the PST, as many rave about them. I still hold high hopes for the PST line, but the constant setbacks seem to have many (including myself) a little worried. Given some more time, I'm certain they'll get the bugs worked out. Luckily, time is something I have lots of.
laugh.gif

As for the SS 3-9x42, I'm not surprised that it's at the top of your list. I have one right now, and will soon be purchasing another with the new mil-quad reticle. I may end up selling whichever one I least prefer, but we'll see about that. I was really hoping I could afford the 5-20x50HD, but recent events made that impossible for now, so the 3-9x42 will continue to be my trusty go-to scope for now.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lennyo3034</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Very nice, does this mean there is a part 2 on the way?</div></div>

Not yet. However, it is an interesting class of scopes and I think it is worth my while to keep an eye on it and do another article with a couple of different products. Perhaps, I will use the 3-9x42 SS with the new reticle along with a couple of models I have not tested yet.

ILya

Nice review, I always enjoy your work.

Do you have any plans to reviews some of the newer sub $1000 higher magnification FFP and SFP scopes like the 6-24 PST, Bushnell elite tactical, Sightron, etc? That seems to be the corner of the market that is generating the most interest right now and I'd be interested in one of your thorough reviews of that market segment.

Thanks again!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Notso</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice review, I always enjoy your work.

Do you have any plans to reviews some of the newer sub $1000 higher magnification FFP and SFP scopes like the 6-24 PST, Bushnell elite tactical, Sightron, etc? That seems to be the corner of the market that is generating the most interest right now and I'd be interested in one of your thorough reviews of that market segment.

Thanks again!</div></div>

Maybe later in the year.

Great write-up. After doing my homework on optics for a lightweight "utility" bolt gun, the SS and the PST were on my list. After using my SS 3-9 on leave, I was really glad I went that route. FFP mil/mil is definitely the way to go.

On the AAD mount: have you considered doing a write-up comparing various rings and mounting systems? Everyone says "These three or four brands are good rings" but what makes them good and what, besides aesthetics, makes one a better choice than another? I think there would be a very positive reception to a review like that, assuming you have representative products from the major manufacturers laying around.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: stiletto raggio</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Great write-up. After doing my homework on optics for a lightweight "utility" bolt gun, the SS and the PST were on my list. After using my SS 3-9 on leave, I was really glad I went that route. FFP mil/mil is definitely the way to go.

On the AAD mount: have you considered doing a write-up comparing various rings and mounting systems? Everyone says "These three or four brands are good rings" but what makes them good and what, besides aesthetics, makes one a better choice than another? I think there would be a very positive reception to a review like that, assuming you have representative products from the major manufacturers laying around.</div></div>

I have considered doing a comparison specific to scope mounts, but chose against it. Bottom line is that I prefer playing with scopes than with scope mounts, and with the limited time I have, I might as well stick with things that are more interesting to me. That having been said, I have been asked to write an article on scope mounts that is kinda similar to the "Riflescope Fundamentals" I put together last year, aimed at people new to this. That I might do.

ILya

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ILya</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Notso</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice review, I always enjoy your work.

Thanks again!</div></div>

Maybe later in the year. </div></div>

That would be awesome, thank you again.

Nice article...the SS reigns again! I also pondered about getting a monarch before I broke down and just bought my 10x42HD I have right now.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shane135</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice article...the SS reigns again! I also pondered about getting a monarch before I broke down and just bought my 10x42HD I have right now.</div></div>

I like the SS and it would probably be my overall choice. However, I can think of some application where the Pride Fowler scope might be more suitable.

On the other hand, the SS is now available with a more sophisticated reticle as well, so it all might change.

ILya

I wish nikon would make the 2.5-10 tactical in a FFP Mil Mil version. I've used a couple of them and the overall construction was very good and the image was really clear.