• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Midway Factory Seconds

Pickle Rick

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Dec 24, 2018
In terms of safety (not accuracy) should I measure diameter of each one so I don’t blow my face off?

I've shot a lot of them in .223 and 6.5. The ones I've mic'd randomly were fine. The bigger issue would be ones that are way off by weight. I've not had any of those.

I've shot a lot of them in .223 and 6.5. The ones I've mic'd randomly were fine. The bigger issue would be ones that are way off by weight. I've not had any of those.
I picked up some 140’s and 123’s in 6.5. How did they shoot for you?

I have 140, 143's. They seem to shoot fine. They are not out of my most accurate rifle but they shoot just as well as anything else. About 1 moa. I'm going to spend time dialing the rifle in over the next month. 140's are hollow points and the 143's are red tipped

Reactions: Cody S
I've been shooting Sierra factory 2nds exclusively for years. I started off weighing and sorting them but eventually it gets old fast. Now I just pull out the obvious bad ones with missing, defective or backwards tips.

Okay this might just be me being paranoid, but any issues with stability while running a suppressor? Like off balance or something?

Okay this might just be me being paranoid, but any issues with stability while running a suppressor? Like off balance or something?
I've never had issues with Sierra 2nds, I shoot suppressed 99% of the time

The only issue I’ve had has been mixed bullets. Say .223’s and 6mm in same box.
Nothing wrong with either of them. Obvious so no issue of mixing them up loading.

Reactions: Jgault
The only issue I’ve had has been mixed bullets. Say .223’s and 6mm in same box.
Nothing wrong with either of them. Obvious so no issue of mixing them up loading.
This is the only downside I’ve had, sorting through mixed lots is just a pain. I will say value wise I’ve done a bit better lately with arm or ally bulk deals depending on the bullet.

Reactions: RTH1800
Not worked with Sierra or Hornady seconds, but have sorted and shot a couple thousand Nosler 123CC’s . Primary issue was variation in ogival length by as much as .024. Once sorted, shot fine.

Not worked with Sierra or Hornady seconds, but have sorted and shot a couple thousand Nosler 123CC’s . Primary issue was variation in ogival length by as much as .024. Once sorted, shot fine.
I believe that may be the defect on these 140’s. Midway reviews say they are match burners. Only issues I can find is ogive length and the tips a little wider

I have had really good seconds from Midway, and some that were horribly inconsistent. Some bullets are dimensionally very good but the plastic tip is a weird color. Other come from various lots with different OAL's and gives and require extensive sorting. Hard to predict.

None of the seconds have caused a safety issue and I have shot several thousand of them.

I have had good and bad. Mostly good though. I dug these out of about 700 39g 20cal bullets.
20240523_181225.jpg

Ive had the same experience with the 55gr sierra blitzkings seconds as supercorndogs about 20% had damaged or missing tips. Also experienced the same problem with 168 Amax seconds. Bthp seconds seem to have less issues.

sometimes you have little drought who made the bullet . however they had a 85 gr with cannelure i could not fine who made that bullet .even called and asked they did not know.