• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Midweight Hunting Scope

Quackaddict

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 7, 2009
Minnesota
I recently placed an order for a hunting rifle in 6.5PRC. The intended usage is on game out to 500 yards and steel to 6-700. I have a stable full of so so rifles and scopes I have hunted with over the years and an upcoming pronghorn trip has spurred me to purchase a complete rifle and scope capable of shooting to distance.

I have been reading about scopes since the order, and I would like the groups input on the following choices:

Nightforce ATACR 4-16x42
Bushnell DMR II Pro 3.5-21
Leupold Mark 5 HD 3.6-18

The intent is to put together a rifle that is close to the 10lb mark. Ill huff some more weight for a quality setup I believe in. Once the rifle is setup I have access to a normal 350 yard range and we can run targets out to 600ish when the conditions are right. The plan is to work up a load and become as proficient as possible with the gun/scope to mid range distances.

From what I have read, the Leupold seems to be a distant second to the other two in terms of quality. It does have some following and is the lightest of the lot. The ATACR seems to be well reviewed and enjoys a sizable fanbase, and the Bushnell is newer without a ton of solid in depth reviews. I don't have a ton of experience in this level of scopes, and my local area has very few "high end" scopes to even look at. If I had to take a stab, I would probably err to the ATACR, the Bushnell keeps drawing me back with a larger mag range and a lower overall cost...

Cost is a concern but not the ultimate factor.

Last edited:
Which Leupold model are you interested in? If you plan to shoot out to 6-700 yards the ATACR is MORE than enough to get you there. I take my Leupold Mark 6 3-18 out to 1400 no problem, remember that if it is really warm you will have more issues with mirage the higher the magnification.

No dog in this hunt but not knowing the particular Leupold model its hard to say where that fits in with the others.

I'm sorry, I forgot to add it would be the Mark 5 HD, ill edit the original post.
That’s what I figured but wanted to make sure. I do not own a mark 5 but there are a lot of people really impressed with them. Only concern on some of these scopes is the weight relative to what you are hoping to achieve for overall weight.

That’s what I figured but wanted to make sure. I do not own a mark 5 but there are a lot of people really impressed with them. Only concern on some of these scopes is the weight relative to what you are hoping to achieve for overall weight.

Yes, and that is why I don't have a vortex on the list, they are just to heavy or lack the low end power I want on a hunting rifle. I realize the scopes im looking at are heavier than something like a VX-6, but the tradeoff is much better odds that they will work every time. That's a tradeoff im willing to make.

What kind of reticle are you after?

Im not particularily hung up on a specific type. I don't really want a Christmas tree style but I would like something with matching turrets and reticle. I would also prefer a FFP scope so I can use the reticle for quick windage instead of dialing. Just looking at the options I would say nightforce has an edge over the others. Some have commented that the Bushnell reticles are a bit thicker, but those comments were directed towards the GAP 2 reticle. I do not know how the GAP 3 fares here.

Reticles are so much a preference thing. I like christmas tree, as long as they are not too cluttered, Horus are too much for me, others are not bad at all. Look at them and figure out how your eyes deciper the markings, some might be .2mil subtensions but if your eye thinks they are .1 or .5 you will have issues. Some like subtensions both above and below the horizontal stadia, others all on top. Again Look at them and figure out what is easiest for you to decypher.
I know guys will complain about it but a used Mark 6 3-18 would great size and weight and mag range for what you are wanting. That is what I have for my hunting rifle and really like it. No issues with my scope at all.

I just bought another NF 4-16x42 for nearly the exact purpose.

Steel to 600 and game out to the same.
It's on top of my Sako and it was able to stay light enough to sheep hunt with.

I know this isn't much help, but also consider a Bushnell LRHS or LRTS!
This. The LRHS for sure as it has, IMO, the best FFP hunting reticle available in any scope in this magnification range. I am right at 11 lbs as you see this without the PEQ-15 and suppressor.
00100lPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20181207155832538_COVER_2.jpg

I have NF 4-16x50 MIL-R reticle its just Amazing i mean so clear shoot coyote at 686 with no problem

Attachments

• EC197E55-ED0B-454A-99B9-73A237FB7939.jpeg
    EC197E55-ED0B-454A-99B9-73A237FB7939.jpeg
    279.5 KB · Views: 46
Have had all three, decided to keep the mk5 , shocked myself for picking the leupold, but the nf rotating eyepiece drove me nuts with covers on, and i just prefered the glass on the mk5 to the lrhs, For the money though, the lrhs is perfect for hunting, only issue i have with the mk5 is the goofy choice of 35mm rings, everything ive got is 34 or 30 so findig a low set of 35’s was kinda a pain, using tps .950 right now, good luck, i dont think any of your choices will be bad, mk5 on a saum for reference

Attachments

• 87C14B91-897E-45E5-970F-AD65BDBFF9C6.jpeg
    87C14B91-897E-45E5-970F-AD65BDBFF9C6.jpeg
    668.5 KB · Views: 98
The Bushnell 3.5-21 has the greatest magnification range; however, if you look at FOV numbers the Bushy actually has less FOV than the NF so just be aware of that, the Bushy is also the heaviest of the bunch (don't go by their website specs, each DMR I've had weighed over 35oz - they really need to update that spec). The Mark 5HD 3.6-18 has my favorite turrets but I don't like their reticle choice and my copy struggled in IQ at higher mags; however, I have it on good authority that other copies don't suffer as much in IQ so it may be a sample variation situation. I've never had the Nightforce but there is usually nothing but great things said about these scopes, my only thought would be if you plan on ever hunting in low light you might benefit from the 4-16x50 vs the 4-16x42. Not sure if you can wait this long but the new Burris XTR III 3.3-18x50 promises to be a pretty amazing optic and will fall within your price range; however, illuminated models aren't expected until later in 2019. The other scope I'd say deserves serious consideration is the Tract Toric 4-20x50, for its price it is hard to beat.

I like the idea of the button lock and the shorter turrets on the elevation on the 42mm version of the nightforce (and the leupold for that matter) over the taller turrets on the 50mm version.

The bushnell is the heaviest of the bunch, the fact that it is the heaviest, and likely has the "worst" reticle of the bunch leads me to err towards the nightforce again. I'll continue to read about the leupold, it seems like there is a decent fanbase.

I know this isn't much help, but also consider a Bushnell LRHS or LRTS!

I’ve currently got a LRTSi 4.5-18 that I was running on my 6.5 SAUM until recently. For 1000 and in it’s a great hunting optic. The G3 is a simple, yet effective reticle for distance hunting. Honestly the scope is good for well past 1k, but I’m a bit snobby when it comes to glass. Past 12-14x the glass seems to get a bit hazy, which was the reason I removed it. Turrets work well and plenty tactile, and the illumination is easy to pick up with plenty of adjustment. I think it would work well for your uses.

Previous to the LRTSi I ran a Leupold MK6 3-18 with TMR reticle. I actually preferred this optic except lack of illumination. For a FFP hunting optic I pretty much require illumination. I prefer to shoot at the lowest mag possible, and in lowlight the reticle is just too thin to make out quickly. The TMR isn’t the greatest reticle for me and my uses, but it was plenty sufficient. The B2 turrets were pretty meh, but usable. The C2 turrets are a HUGE upgrade.

I now have a NF ATACR 4-16 with MILC reticle on another very similar hunting rifle. So far I love everything about it, but the weight. The glass, low light performance, reticle, turrets, and illumination more than make up for the extra few ounces though. The low light performance was the main selling point for me though.

The bushnell is the heaviest of the bunch, the fact that it is the heaviest, and likely has the "worst" reticle of the bunch leads me to err towards the nightforce again. I'll continue to read about the leupold, it seems like there is a decent fanbase.

You are looking at the wrong Bushnell. The LRHSi is much lighter than the DMR and has the best reticle of all these scopes you have mentioned if you truly want it for hunting. If you want it for a dual role optic, there are better reticles, but for First Focal Plane hunting the G2H only found in the LRHSI is hard to beat unless you are looking at maybe a H58 and even then I would argue for the G2H being better for its singular purpose.

All of the scopes you selected will work and work well. I prefer the NF. Check the wt. carefully on each. You might find it hard to hit your 10lbs target with the NF.

I own both the Leupold Mark 5 3.8-18 and the NF 4-16x42

I my opinion the NF is the clear winner in every possible comparison. Some might say the Leupold has 2x more in power but the quality of the NF glass over comes the added power of the Leupold.

I forgot about this one. No experience here, but given my experience with their binoculars and where I think these are made, I would have no issue taking a chance. All the specs are right.
https://shop.mavenbuilt.com/products/rs-1

I met the guys from Maven at a Sportsmans show and like where they are headed. They hinted that they want to get to the point of having some FFP scopes but wanted to ease their way into it. As far as this scope compared to what the OP wanted I think this is slightly less features, probably good for weight but lacks features that the others have by quite a bit.

Reactions: Burdy
I met the guys from Maven at a Sportsmans show and like where they are headed. They hinted that they want to get to the point of having some FFP scopes but wanted to ease their way into it. As far as this scope compared to what the OP wanted I think this is slightly less features, probably good for weight but lacks features that the others have by quite a bit.
Not sure if you caught it but this is FFP, the RS2 is SFP. Yeah first time I ran into them was at GAOS and came away impressed. They have a good industry professional deal as well. I plan on trying one of the scopes on a Ruger #1 project. I do like the direction. There is a gap in the lightweight FFP category and like to see more optics there.

Not sure if you caught it but this is FFP, the RS2 is SFP. Yeah first time I ran into them was at GAOS and came away impressed. They have a good industry professional deal as well. I plan on trying one of the scopes on a Ruger #1 project. I do like the direction. There is a gap in the lightweight FFP category and like to see more optics there.

You are correct, sorry, I am looking at this at work (oops) and just skimmed it, at the quick glance I just took it as one of their SFP scopes. Still would like to see them take another step into more of a "tactical" scope but that may not be their ultimate desire.

My PRC came out at 10 lb 4 ounces with a zeiss v4 4-16. It’s a solid offering but I am still looking for the scope upgrade. I wish the v6 models had lockable turrets.

I have an ATACR 4-16x50. It’s really heavy for hiking all day but I like the durability and it’s a really nice scope. It replaced a Swarovski X5. My primary hunting rifle chambered in 7 SAUM has a Tangent Theta TT315M on it with a gen 2 mildot reticle. It’s damn nice and a bit lighter but may be out of the price range. I’ve seen them go used for reasonable prices though. I’ve tried a lot of hunting scopes and the ATACR 4-16 is nice if you can live with the reticle choices and weight.

Ive been doing a lot of reading about this, and I may have swung back to the Mark 5 camp. I was able to see one in the flesh and was impressed. Less weight, smaller, more top end, and at a street price $600 less than the ATACR. I still have time to make a decision so I will search for a 4-16 ATACR to look at.

I almost went Leupold Mark 5 for my project but in the end I trust NF more even though I am not crazy about the rotating ocular.

Rifle is still 8.25 pounds with the 4-16 on there which is a little compact heavy thing but totally mangable for most of my hunts. If I want anyless I would put a 3-9 SWFA on it as my LRHS are only 2 oz lighter.

I run the NF Atacr 4-16 with the mil c on a similar type hunting rig (beanland 6.5cm on game scout stock with 22” light palma). I hump this rig up and down the mountains of Wyo at 9,000-10,000 ft. The extra weight is worth it imo.

The NF works really, really well for this application. A little on the heavier side, but not a deal breaker. I don’t like the rotating eyepiece. I am getting used to it, but am still on the fence. Optically great for a hunting rig. Not as good as my S&B. No problem banging steel at 1000 yds with the NF.

If funds permit, take a look at the TT 3-15. I am considering it, but don’t know if I want to spend the extra $$ just b/c of the eye piece. That is my only issue. I feel if I am going to change scopes b/c of the eyepiece I might as well as upgrade optically.

Side note on NF: it is very durable. I have had my in rain, sleet, snow...dropped in dirt, rocks, etc. and never an issue. Never a change in zero. Nothing. This is another reason I am hesitant to change scopes. (Running vortex pmr rings).

Just my $0.02 based on my personal experience.