• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Midwest Powders Discussion

whatsupdoc

Old Salt
Minuteman
  • Dec 12, 2017
    Started this thread to spread Information and share data/information on Midwest Powders. So what Midwest Powder are you using what caliber and what are your results.

Has anyone compared a particular Midwest Powder with is "similar to" type, how close was it?

Reactions: bdubmkg
    Just so any uninformed members reading this thread don't get confused, "Midwest Powders" is a smokeless powder line sold only through the "American Reloading" web site. These powders are used by commercial reloading companies and are not usually available to the public.

If you Google " Midwest Powders", you will get a SCAM site. There's a lot of info on the web about people getting scammed on the "Midwest Powders" site.

American Reloading is a legitimate site. Currently, they have no Midwest Powders in stock.

Glad to see a thread starting for this!

Bought an 8 Lb jug of MP636 that was advertised as being similar to N555 in february. Played around with mostly in 22GT but also a bit with .270 Win. About 100-125fps slower than N555 with a 35 gr charge and 88 ELDM in 22gt.

Did some testing against H4831SC and H1000 and its about 40% of the way from H831SC to H1000 looking at velocities. This sent me on a wild goose chase trying to figure out what powder was being rebranded here until I took a much closer look and found a small amount of ball/flattened ball powder in it as well and reaized it was likely a mix. Looks to be primarily a mix of some VV/RL powder with a bit of some ADI yellow powder kernels.

I'm curious how other approach load development with these midwest powders when there is a somewhat significant different in advertised comparable powder and actual results. Not thrilled its a bit off but it seems consistent with good accuracy. Just worried that if I look at it from pure velocity numbers and split the difference between H4831SC and H1000 min loads to start with, I may still be in dangerous territory since velocity isnt always a true indicator of burn rate or pressure.

I have used the MP450 for 75-77 bullets in a couple of 223's , first time I tried the Midwest powders
    and I have no complaints. 24.0 gr MP450 got me the same velocity as 23.0 gr of IMR8208 2830fps
    and accuracy was just as good as the 8208 even though the MP450 is a ball powder.

I just grabbed some MP580 that is "similar to IMR4451" that I need to test. Around a year ago you
    could go to American Reloading's web site where they usually had a bunch of powders in stock,
    unfortunately that is no longer the case and that presents a problem where you buy a jug of powder to
    try and never see the same powder again.

You could grab a few jugs but if the powder sucks, well first world problems.

Reactions: simonp
    I have some mp 501. I got up to 29.5g under a 40g in my 18" 20 practical for about 3600fps.

Charge weight vs velocity was.very close to lever in my 18" 6mm arc. It seemed to pretty easily drive 105s 2550.

31.6g was 2480-2500 in my 18" grendel with a 123 eld. It shot quite well around 2300. I haven't loaded the brass many times to see if the primer pockets hold up or if I am pushing it to far.

I loaded 5 rounds of MP580 similar to IMR4451 to get some sort of baseline on where the velocity numbers
    fall. Rifle is a 6.5 creed barrel is a Kreiger with over 2800 rounds through it and although it has slowed down
    it still shoots fantastic.

Tested 40.0 41.0 41.5 42.0 and 42.5 grains of MP580, 140 ELD, Lapua case and CCI 450.
    All 5 rounds with different charges went into a .401 group with 4 grouping into .195.

The velocity numbers that my labradar recorded are gone due to some issue with a USB to SD card adapter
    that corrupted the file system on the card but I remember the velocity of the 42.5 charge, it was 2764 FPS and
    no signs of high pressure were encountered. Annoying loosing the data.

1712342390474.png

Reactions: simonp
    Bump, anyone else have data?
    I've got 555 and 605 to try (so far!)

Last edited: