• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Miele dishwasher intake/drain fault code....

pmclaine

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Nov 6, 2011
    MA
    I figure you people are smart have varied backgrounds and after getting advice for a DIY appendectomy here and succeeding I know everyone is cheap trying to save their money to buy more ammo.

I have a Miele dishwasher ( Miele is not my wifes name. She will shoot you in the face for thinking so).

Generally Miele makes a great product but this DW has sucked.

In 11 years of ownership I have had to fix it myself three times due to a shitty design water valve control.

Miele pretty much acknowledges their shit sucks on this design and sales guys etc have said "Yeah we have a lot of problems with that".

Seems there is a fix online with replacing the Miele valve control with a $40 part GE valve control. There are vids on the web for doing this and my skill level is up to task on it.

Still though its "jiffy" rube goldberg.

Any appliance guys familiar with this issue?

Anyone have opinions on Bosch DW because I think that where Im going instead.

I figure you people are smart have varied backgrounds and after getting advice for a DIY appendectomy here and succeeding I know everyone is cheap trying to save their money to buy more ammo.

I have a Miele dishwasher ( Miele is not my wifes name. She will shoot you in the face for thinking so).

In 11 years of ownership I have had to fix it myself three times due to a shitty design water valve control.

Miele pretty much acknowledges their shit sucks on this design and sales guys etc have said "Yeah we have a lot of problems with that".

Seems there is a fix online with replacing the Miele valve control with a $40 part GE valve control. There are vids on the web for doing this and my skill level is up to task on it.

If you buy new go to Best Buy. they 100% finance for up to 18 months with nothing down. Why pay cash when you can live on their money and have it auto deducted monthly. Also look at scratch and dent for a good discount. I got $2000 worth of washer/dryer for $800.

Reactions: pmclaine
    If you like how it washes and dries, fix it.

We went through several dish washers a while back; all sucked at drying, including the Bosch that we ended up keeping. We tried about every brand. Ordered a Miele, but canceled after finding out the short delivery time started after it shipped to NY, then to Atlanta. ~3 days was more like 30.

After 11 years I think you have gotten your monies worth.
    The problem with the new machines is that they are like a lottery ticket. Buy one and hope it's a winner.
    I bought a Whirlpool a couple years ago. It's been good at washing but the dry cycle sucks. The utensils go in a basket on the door. They didn't come clean so now I or the woman clean them before putting them in the dishwasher. <----- I guess it's not a utensil washer.
    Good luck picking a winner.

If you like how it washes and dries, fix it.

We went through several dish washers a while back; all sucked at drying, including the Bosch that we ended up keeping. We tried about every brand. Ordered a Miele, but canceled after finding out the short delivery time started after it shipped to NY, then to Atlanta. ~3 days was more like 30.

With kids the drying function always sucks......too much plastic stuff.

Once they get passed the age of dropping shit I want china, glass and stainless steel only in there cause that stuff dries great.

Reactions: Sean the Nailer
    The problem with the new machines is that they are like a lottery ticket. Buy one and hope it's a winner.
    I bought a Whirlpool a couple years ago. It's been good at washing but the dry cycle sucks. The utensils go in a basket on the door. They didn't come clean so now I or the woman clean them before putting them in the dishwasher. <----- I guess it's not a utensil washer.

The nice thing about the Miele is utensils get a dedicated flat tray that forces seperation so they cant "nest" like in a basket. The only things coming out dirty are things that were allowed to sit all day and "dry on" that should have been rinsed off when fresh soiled.

I had sent my wife a couple cut sheets on Bosch dish washers and told her the other option was me trying to Rube Goldberg a different valve in. She said give it a try.

Its probably about a half hours work and maybe $50.

If it works I will be buying my case of FGMM 30-06 AND my new Thuls data book.

I also have a Miele washer and dryer I bought back in 2000 and both are still going strong with what I would say are above average useage hours. They have had their issues but in each case I have been able to order parts and repair on my own without have to pay a guy $200 just to walk through my door.

Miele used to be much better at steering the homeowner to DIY repairs but about three years ago they must have changed policy to assist their service techs. Now you might be able to get them to email an exploded diagram of an assembly but they wont walk you through the repair. Im turning to the internet now for videos or blogs of the same problem and with Miele because they dont do a lot of "sealed unit" type manufacturing their machines are actually pretty easy so that even a caveman can do it.

Reactions: DarnYankeeUSMC
    Miele seems to be one of the best rated brands but way too expensive for me.
    I've had Bosch before and they worked well, but the circuit board went out twice on it
    The Bosch ones do get some of the highest ratings in Consumer Reports.

My Whirlpool dishwasher went out last week (broken seals on the pump assembly) and I'm getting a new one this week as it's not worth reparing.

I'm not sure if it's worth trying the really expensive ones, because all the ones I have tried seem to have major problems at the 5 year mark, or before, so I'm thinking about just spending the extra $150 for the store 5 year warranty and getting a mid priced one and living with that.

spent $50 on the rube goldberg parts.....I really want that data book and another case of FGMM 30-06.

This is what lies ahead.....

edit ------- my bad looks like Scott the Fix it Guy requires you watch his vid at Youtube.

The Bosch we have has a separate tray at the top for utensils.

Most things that go in ours are china and SS. Drying still sucks compared to the 15 y/o cheap GE that we had.

Forgot to mention earlier, the new washers we tried all take twice as long or longer to cycle.

Forgot to mention earlier, the new washers we tried all take twice as long or longer to cycle.

Thank the government for that.

If you do some reading from any of the manufacturers they will openly admit that they take much longer than they could and wash slightly less good than they could & dry like crap, in order to meet the current "Government Standards".

Same reason why your new washing machines don't wash properly and your new toilets don't flush properly.

The government pretty much makes everything it touches suck.

If you choose the "Quick Wash" or "Pots & Pans" cycles the dishwashers will wash with the expected time and performance.

Bosch makes the best machine around. Every house I have ever owned gets one and they last forever and are silent. No need to get the super fancy $1,200 one either. Even their lower priced machines are near silent and last forever. The only other brand I know of that is of equal quality is the ASKO ASEA machines

Don't EVER buy a GE Profile or KitchenAid...junk

Reactions: JBELL74
    Bosch makes the best machine around. Every house I have ever owned gets one and they last forever and are silent. No need to get the super fancy $1,200 one either. Even their lower priced machines are near silent and last forever. The only other brand I know of that is of equal quality is the ASKO ASEA machines

So which Bosh model would you suggest, assuming the $800 and up range?

I was not wanting to try another one, since the last one ($500 range) didn't have a very long trouble free life.

sent my wife a cut sheet of two $750 Bosch units. Same machines only difference being the door handle design/control panel location. Only thing Im looking for is full stainless tub and quiet.

It will be Bosch if my attempt at poor doesnt work out.

I was not wanting to try another one, since the last one ($500 range) didn't have a very long trouble free life.

These are the two I sent my better.....

I use the Bosch SHX878ZD5N. It is truly the best one I ever bought

After going through two dishwashers in four years at our last house, I said fuck it and bought a Bosch. I loved it, and more importantly, my wife loved it.

Moved a few months back and by chance, there is a Bosch in the new house also. It's even the same model. It's quiet, works well, but it takes almost two hours to run a cycle.

I'll never buy a Fridgadaire, Whirlpool or Maytag piece of shit ever again.

Other than taking too long and not drying very well, I also don't like that you can't tell how much time is left on the cycle w/o opening the door. That said, we bought several and sent them back. Bosch sucks less.

I have had the same luck as you.
    My Bosch unit is 5 and started to sound like a jet engine.

I'm over the dishwasher thing in this house as it's going up for sale soon.

Success...........

image.jpg

image.jpg

I'll be using the money saved to buy more ammo.

I'm getting a sweet deal on FGMM 30-06 right now at $185/case. PM me if any of you helpers want in on it.

PS...........I know power is in a shitty place in relation to a live water valve with plumbing done by a non plumber.

Surprised it wasn't GFCI in the initial install.

I had a Miele and now have a top of the line Bosch.
    The Miele was better in every regard except for the drain mechanism. I'd have to clean that out once a month.
    I hate the quality of the dry on the Bosch. But as mentioned above, blame the gov.

On edit, both are equally quiet.

No matter how much I try to focus on your question, I can’t get past your “successful DIY appendectomy.”

WTF is up with that???????

We have some Miele dish washers in the labs where I work...........high end, very high priced......$10K plus........parts are priced accordantly.............

We have some Miele dish washers in the labs where I work...........high end, very high priced......$10K plus........parts are priced accordantly.............

This one was about $800.

Miele became a name to me stationed in Switzerland.

The Marine House had their standard Maytags or whatever top loader US machines replaced by a bank of Miele commercial machines.

They were beasts!

I remember we had to run em off of a computer punch card type "key".

Nothing cleans clothes like a Miele.

So far my dishwasher fix is kicking ass.

I've been in a bad mood for two weeks hand washing shit.

That fuck Bezos certainly punishes people that don't join Prime.

My wife, a Prime member, hits send and the door bell rings with the package.

A mere customer waits two weeks for shit to show up.

Fuck Bezos!

Hey man, I have recently faced this problem (to be exact 2 weeks ago). My wife is constantly complaining so am thinking about new bosch dw.

Hey man, I have recently faced this problem (to be exact 2 weeks ago). My wife is constantly complaining so am thinking about new bosch dw.

Update...

Two or three weeks after my fix we noted the machine leaking.

In a fit of frustration I ordered a Bosch DW and have been running it since.

You know what............

I think my fix on the Miele would have worked and I fucked something else up that caused the leak.

After installing the GE fill valve on the Miele the fault code disappeared. Machine ran great.

About a week or two later we noted the leak and in a rash fit of pique I just ordered the Bosch and tossed the Miele.

When installing the Bosch the instructions indicated something very important. "Ensure the drain line is hung higher than the inlet into the sink drain".

As soon as I saw that it dawned on me that when I had put the Miele back together with the new valve I hadnt looped the drain line into a horseshoe to prevent "siphoning".

I think the Miele was taking water back into the machine at the end of the cycle and that caused the leak.

The GE valve fix works.

Im happy with the Bosch we have works great but it is not built as solid as the Miele was.

I could have used the $700 spent on more ammo.

If your Miele is the same era as mine the only problem is that shitty intake valve contained in that big box on your fill line.

Miele knows this is an issue and its a shame they dont support the customer with a gratis replacement of better design.

Last edited:
    Only problem I ever had with my Miele was the drain screen would clog and I would have to take it apart to clean. Otherwise it was awesome. I have a top of the line Bosch now and it isn't as good.
    That Miele was a 2005 model.

Only problem I ever had with my Miele was the drain screen would clog and I would have to take it apart to clean. Otherwise it was awesome. I have a top of the line Bosch now and it isn't as good.
    That Miele was a 2005 model.

I had a 2000, 17 inch, that worked great.

In 2008 we redid the house and put in the full size with the shit valve design.

Like others have stated. Newer dishwashers IMO all suck. They don't have the heating elements for drying like the older dishwashers used to and to my knowledge that's still the case. Only recently have the front loading washer and dryers started to not suck.

Like most things, appliances are a result of cost cutting measures. Add in PCB, Touchscreen IOT garbage that breaks regularly, or has poor designs to begin with. It doesn't matter how much you pay any more, aesthetically they look better but are still unreliable pieces of garbage.

my dishwasher sucks too! And always complains when her drain line gets stopped up!

Same here with Bosch, albeit ours works great 99% of the time. Does a fantastic job cleaning without precleaning dishes. We do use Cascade Platinum or similar pods and rinse aid though. Taking the line off the waste water Tee inlet and cleaning it out helps. Hang up with high loop to prevent siphoning.

Attachments

• High-drain-loop-Dishwasher.jpg
      High-drain-loop-Dishwasher.jpg
      62.5 KB · Views: 63
    Reactions: pmclaine
    Guys, it took a couple of days and my wife completely ate my brain so I finally decided to choose a dishwasher. Honestly, I have long thought about what to choose because there are a lot of models and brands on the market now. I wanted to make sure that the dishwasher I choose will work for at least five years and will not break, so I asked for help from consultants from ianboer who helped me choose a new commercial dishwasher. I bought Norris Madison IM5 – Underbench Dishwasher.

Last edited:
    Five years does not define "Durable white good" which is what I thought appliances were.

Green people should be shitting themselves that we design products to die rather than last forever.

Whats the carbon footprint of building a machine from scratch vs running a "less efficient" one a long time?

Im thinking build a less energy star machine in regards to power consumption in favor of "more durable" would in the long run result in a cleaner environment.

• Love
    Reactions: W54/XM-388
    Hi I had something similar. I bought a dishwasher about six months ago. For all the time that we have it, it broke down about twenty times. My wife insisted for a long time that we throw it away and buy a new one, but I didn't want to throw it away because I spent a lot of money on its repair. However, after a while we decided to get rid of this dishwasher. We first wanted to throw it away, but then we were told that we can exchange our old dishwasher for the best commercial dishwashers and of course pay a little. So ask if you can exchange your dishwasher, too.

Last edited:
    Problem with new machines is they are purposely designed/built to fail after the warranty runs out . Studies show lifetime of an kitchen appliances grows 2y shorter every decade.,
    That has been proven beyond a shadow of a doubt,the other more acute problem is they are designed so that faults cost too much to repair so forcing a new sale , for example washing machines have welded in bearing ,so when that fails you are forced to replace the machine instead of an 8$ part,here in EU we now have some new legislation coming to regulate that machines need to be designed to be fixable on all levels .(and funny thing it was not about protecting the customer but the environment ,you cant have all them discarded machines on the landfil for no reason. )

Reactions: W54/XM-388