• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Mighty Armory 6.5 CM

want to be

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Aug 3, 2018
Has anyone had any issue with MA 6.5cm FL die. This is the second time I have used these dies and the cases were lubed with Imperial and was the 3rd firing on Hornady brass. When sizing it felt very rough and hard to close the ram on a RC 4 and when using a Lyman case gauge the case would not enter completely after sizing. I don't remember this being this rough the first time I used these dies, but then I was FL sizing new Nosler brass. I changed to my old Lee dies and didn't have this issue. I am not sure what going on just looking for your thoughts.

I think if you search the forum you’ll find that there are/were quite a few of us who’ve had issues with the MA dies. Mostly it seems to be bottleneck rifle cartridges that are wonky, their pistol dies, and their decapping dies (what put them on the map), are generally proven and good to go.

The usual issue with MA dies seems to be shoulder-bump (or them lacking the ability to get a proper shoulder-bump without the dies being modified), but there are a couple other issues IMO too (like, if the tip unscrews from the decapping shaft your brass and/or primer pockets can get fucked up, so watch out for that, even if you used Loctite).

Not sure any of this is your issue… just letting you know that, yeah, you’re probably not crazy 😜, there could be something wonky going on with the die.

I think if you search the forum you’ll find that there are/were quite a few of us who’ve had issues with the MA dies. Mostly it seems to be bottleneck rifle cartridges that are wonky, their pistol dies, and their decapping dies (what put them on the map), are generally proven and good to go.

The usual issue with MA dies seems to be shoulder-bump (or them lacking the ability to get a proper shoulder-bump without the dies being modified), but there are a couple other issues IMO too (like, if the tip unscrews from the decapping shaft your brass and/or primer pockets can get fucked up, so watch out for that, even if you used Loctite).

Not sure any of this is your issue… just letting you know that, yeah, you’re probably not crazy 😜, there could be something wonky going on with the die.
I use a Lee decapping die before sizing, I know that extra step but that's what I do. My problem is when closing the ram it is very hard, like to the point something could break. I like the die just for the ease of cleaning. I completely cleaned and lubed the inside with Balistol and it did not help. The inside of the die looks very smooth and highly polished. I think it's best to contact MA.

I have one and had to have it trimmed .003” so that it bumped the shoulder. Other than that, its been a solid performer for me. Wayne at MA will work with you to resolve any issues.

What are the measurements of whats happening?

Take the expander decapper rod assembly out and see if you are still having issues. If not then I would assume that you have the expander too high and are trying to drag the ball through the neck material before its released enough by the die neck. Cant expand whats still being compressed very well.

Call and was told make sue the shoulder of the case was well lubed. Did so and was still rough and hard to close the ram. No more fired base now will have to wait for the next outing. While I wait are there any more suggestions?

There is a possibility the die was over-polished…

Wayne at MA polishes the inside of his dies with Scotchbrite and a little oil, a smaller piece wrapped around a chamber mop or something, then chucked up in a drill. I know this because this is how he told me they do it and how I could polish the inside of my dies if they ever seemed like they needed it.

Well, found out the hard way that if you polish the inside of a die too much this way, it actually can ruin it, because the inside surface can actually become too smooth, and then there’s no place for the lube to do its job.

Becomes tough as hell at the handle, similar to what you’ve described experiencing.

Luckily I only fucked up one ~$20 Lee die learning this lesson…

Hey all, Contact me if you have questions.
I’m happy to answer what to do questions.
Wayne
Mighty Armory
401-575-1288

Morning All, I hope that my problem has been solved. As I had stated I was having some issues with my 6.5 CM FL die. was very ruff when closing the ram and needed to apply a lot of pressure to the point of feeling like something was ready to brake on an RCBS single stage press and later found that I was having trouble closing the bolt on a Tikka CTR. After a conversation and email to Wayne, He said to return the FL for an FLsh. Then I received an email from customer service and they and I started to get an attitude. But after passing a few emails back and forth we got on the same page and everything got worked out. I guess things are changing these days and some of us are having a hard time thinking about how customer focus was in the past from a supplier, by the past I mean I am 79 yr young. I see that Wayne is online today and is looking to help any of his customers that he can, that is the way all suppliers should be, also we customers should be a little more tolerant. Sorry for the long post, just wanted to vent, and hope that this will correct the problem I was having.
Thanks, Wayne and have a GOOD DAY