• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Mighty Armory dies quality?

JR1200W3

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Apr 21, 2020
I just ordered a 9mm sizing die and taper die from Mighty Armory. I was pretty excited to get some Gucci pistol dies for my 1100. I've been using a Lee two die set and while there's nothing wrong with them, I figured the 1100 could be smoother with some nicer dies. I installed the sizing die and it required too much force to size a case. I pulled the die and saw the decapping pin was not centered in the die body. I disassembled the die and saw the decapping stem was bowed. Showed up that way.

I only have one other Mighty Armory die. A 223 sizing die. I stopped using it for some reason; don't remember why. For some reason I thought highly of MA. Am I wrong? Is this normal? Lee can make a die right but MA can't?

1000004383.jpg

I just ordered a 9mm sizing die and taper die from Mighty Armory. I was pretty excited to get some Gucci pistol dies for my 1100. I've been using a Lee two die set and while there's nothing wrong with them, I figured the 1100 could be smoother with some nicer dies. I installed the sizing die and it required too much force to size a case. I pulled the die and saw the decapping pin was not centered in the die body. I disassembled the die and saw the decapping stem was bowed. Showed up that way.

I only have one other Mighty Armory die. A 223 sizing die. I stopped using it for some reason; don't remember why. For some reason I thought highly of MA. Am I wrong? Is this normal? Lee can make a die right but MA can't?

View attachment 8376166
What did Wayne at MA say when you called him and asked him about it?

What did Wayne at MA say when you called him and asked him about it?
Lol, that would be impressive if he answered the phone at 2100 MST. I emailed him. I'll see what he says. I expect he'll take care of it. But I'm just asking people if they think highly of MA. Not sure why I did, but I did. Now I'm wondering if I just assigned a quality mistakenly.

What's your experience with them? What dies do you own? Are they top-notch in your opinion?

Lol, that would be impressive if he answered the phone at 2100 MST. I emailed him. I'll see what he says. I expect he'll take care of it. But I'm just asking people if they think highly of MA. Not sure why I did, but I did. Now I'm wondering if I just assigned a quality mistakenly.

What's your experience with them? What dies do you own? Are they top-notch in your opinion?
Call him, he answers the phone. I have three MA dies: 6.5 Cmoor fl sizer, a 223 sizer and decapper and all work well for me. I did have an issue with my 6.5 die upon receipt, called him on the phone and he agreed to deal with it. Took him about two weeks and when i got it back, it worked as it should.

Call him, he answers the phone. I have three MA dies: 6.5 Cmoor fl sizer, a 223 sizer and decapper and all work well for me. I did have an issue with my 6.5 die upon receipt, called him on the phone and he agreed to deal with it. Took him about two weeks and when i got it back, it worked as it should.
So what's your opinion? High quality stuff? Or better off with another company?

Do I just have a one-off? Like you did? Or is there a pattern that consumers should know about?

So what's your opinion? High quality stuff? Or better off with another company?

Do I just have a one-off? Like you did? Or is there a pattern that consumers should know about?
I'd get that one either fixed or replaced then decide for yourself if they are high quality or not once you have some time with it.

Since its your die that you paid for with your hard-earned money, it's your opinion that ultimately counts, not mine or anyone else's. If you end up not liking it you can can dump it in the PX to recoup some $$.

I've had a 223 sizing die for 3 years and it has been great. Love the built in mandrel.

Get it fixed and then decide? If it shows up botched isn't that called a clue?

Are you and I having some passive-aggressive disagreement about the very nature of this thread? Do you not believe consumers should have a place to share reviews and experience with companies, manufacturers, or retailers? Isn't that the very purpose of online reviews? 4 star, customer testimonials, "pls leave feedback", etc. If we find that multiple people have issues with their product because of this thread, isn't that a good thing? That we came together to share this info? If no one else has an issue, then we can see that's it's a one-off. And those do happen from time to time.

I really don't understand the purpose of your posts.

I have a few. They’re very nicely finished on the inside and size very smoothly.

You didn’t notice the bow until after you ran cases? Not when you cleaned the die before tossing it in the press?

I’m not saying it was you, but MA CS was good to me troubleshooting an issue I had (self induced).

Reactions: FuhQ

Are you and I having some passive-aggressive disagreement about the very nature of this thread? Do you not believe consumers should have a place to share reviews and experience with companies, manufacturers, or retailers? Isn't that the very purpose of online reviews? 4 star, customer testimonials, "pls leave feedback", etc. If we find that multiple people have issues with their product because of this thread, isn't that a good thing? That we came together to share this info? If no one else has an issue, then we can see that's it's a one-off. And those do happen from time to time.

It seems as though you're the one that is "passively-aggressively" just surfing for people to say shitty things about MA/Wayne.

I have MA dies, have been happy with them and would buy more. I've spoken with Wayne numerous times and have been happy with his customer service. He's a good guy. Call him, he'll take care of you.

Was one of the first users, and he took the spring design from FW Arms..

Not a fan. His stuff is all over the place for quality

After about a decade of testing 9mm pistols in the ransom rest. I now load all my 9mm using a Lee 9mm U (undersize) die .

After about a decade of testing 9mm pistols in the ransom rest. I now load all my 9mm using a Lee 9mm U (undersize) die .

Proper rollsized and a normal die works wonders, and isn’t as hard on the press

(From someone who used to swear by the U die as well)

When loading for lots of different pistols . Some more finicky than others. I just settled on a U die works in every chamber every time. Point is that a Lee die will work perfectly fine wether a u die or a standard Lee die. I only use pricey custom dies for the rifles where I don’t want to overwork the brass.

I have a few. They’re very nicely finished on the inside and size very smoothly.

You didn’t notice the bow until after you ran cases? Not when you cleaned the die before tossing it in the press?

I’m not saying it was you, but MA CS was good to me troubleshooting an issue I had (self induced).
I wasn't able to run any cases. No I didn't notice it when I disassembled it and cleaned it because I didn't have the pin in. I screwed the decapping pin in the stem after reassembling it. The decapping pins don't come installed. 🤷

It seems as though you're the one that is "passively-aggressively" just surfing for people to say shitty things about MA/Wayne.

I have MA dies, have been happy with them and would buy more. I've spoken with Wayne numerous times and have been happy with his customer service. He's a good guy. Call him, he'll take care of you.
I don't think I'm being passive aggressive at all. I pretty directly asked people what their experience has been. And there's been a surprisingly mixed bag of customer experiences. Why do you want to discount that?

Reactions: 99mpower
I wasn't able to run any cases. No I didn't notice it when I disassembled it and cleaned it because I didn't have the pin in. I screwed the decapping pin in the stem after reassembling it. The decapping pins don't come installed. 🤷

I hope you used some red Loctite, because with Wayne/MA's design, if that pin comes loose and backs out on you, you might be buying new brass (ask me how I know).

Wayne seems like a decent dude, and while he may know how to run a CNC machine, talk to him and you'll find he doesn't know much about shooting guns or reloading.

Lee standard 9mm sizing die + Hundo, hear me now, believe me later.

tempImagenKJPYB.png

I hope you used some red Loctite, because with Wayne/MA's design, if that pin comes loose and backs out on you, you might be buying new brass (ask me how I know).

Wayne seems like a decent dude, and while he may be pretty good with a CNC machine, talk to him and you'll find he doesn't know much about shooting guns or reloading.

Lee standard 9mm sizing die + Hundo, hear me now, believe me later.

View attachment 8376868
I guess I'll just return this die and continue to use the Lee sizer. It worked fine for me.

I guess I'll just return this die and continue to use the Lee sizer. It worked fine for me.

If you want to deep dive into reloading 9mm, the benos forum is where to go... but to save you some time, there a pretty much 3 camps: Lee standard die, Lee U die, Lee FCD.

A Lee standard die is all one needs, if everything on your press is dialed, then 98-100% of one's rounds will pass a case gauge, no tricks or fancy dies necessary. Some guys swear by the use of a Lee U die... but that's mostly a carry-over from guys shooting .40S&W ("Major" in competition), whereas, with .40, a U die is more or less essential/required. Then there's the Lee FCD crowd... sort of a "belt and suspenders" approach that maybe leaves a little accuracy on the table by purposely/knowingly double-sizing one's rounds in favor of getting ugly ducklings to pass the case gauge and/or knowing they'll all chamber and not slow down one's bullet hose.

If you want to deep dive into reloading 9mm, the benos forum is where to go... but to save you some time, there a pretty much 3 camps: Lee standard die, Lee U die, Lee FCD.

A Lee standard die is all one needs, if everything on your press is dialed, then 98-100% of one's rounds will pass a case gauge, no tricks or fancy dies necessary. Some guys swear by the use of a Lee U die... but that's mostly a carry-over from guys shooting .40S&W ("Major" in competition), whereas, with .40, a U die is more or less essential/required. Then there's the Lee FCD crowd... sort of a "belt and suspenders" approach that maybe leaves a little accuracy on the table by purposely/knowingly double-sizing one's rounds in favor of getting ugly ducklings to pass the case gauge and/or knowing they'll all chamber and not slow down one's bullet hose.
And here I am with standard carbide 9mm dies from Dillon. Have loaded probably 10k rounds on it and never knew I needed a LEE die lol

Reactions: Herb Stoner
And here I am with standard carbide 9mm dies from Dillon. Have loaded probably 10k rounds on it and never knew I needed a LEE die lol

The Dillon dies a fine. Most of everybody's standard/normal 9mm dies are fine. Use whatever works.

Supposedly the Lee standard die sizes the furthest to the bottom of the case (as compared to the Dillion's, which are famous/infamous for the "coke bottle" effect, ammo that still works fine).

A Lee die is practically free, like $10 to try out, if you don't like it, you can use it as a door-stop or throw it at someone you don't like lol.

Reactions: TommyD11730

You don’t… all I use are Dillon, except a Redding Micrometer seating deal

I think I’ve loaded 235k 9mm rounds so far in the last few years

I've had good luck with MA but it appears their quality is hit or miss from forum posts. I have a handful of their dies and their decappers.

I have not had such good luck with Lee dies in the last 20 years. I've had the U-Die inserts fall out. I strictly use Dillon dies and Redding micro seaters in a Dillon press.

Reactions: JR1200W3

I noticed this in the first couple posts…Seems like a weird fishing expedition to me.

That said, I have numerous MA dies, and been using them since 2018, and known Wayne since then. He’s a good dude, and makes good quality dies, and stands behind his work.

I noticed this in the first couple posts…Seems like a weird fishing expedition to me.

That said, I have numerous MA dies, and been using them since 2018, and known Wayne since then. He’s a good dude, and makes good quality dies, and stands behind his work.
I have zero issues with respectful differences of opinions. I have had good luck with MA. For those others that might not have, hopefully Wayne took care of them. And, for those that may not have, they have every bit as much of a right as I did/do to state that publicly.

Shit happens, everyone screws up sooner or later. Could that have been the case with Wayne ? Sure. But more importantly, how efficiently and effectively did he resolve the problem ? In my case, he did very well. In fact, painlessly for me.

Last edited:

What the fuck are you talking about? I gave you my opinion in my initial response, did you forget to actually read it? Here it is again in bold, italicized and underlined font, so you don't miss it this time around:

You come off like like a whiny little bitch who can't fucking think for himself to save his life. All too many of you dumbasses on forums these days...Dumber than a box of rocks who need everyone else to do all of your thinking for you.

Retarded imbecile....

View attachment 8376166
Place the spring on top of the shaft, not below it. I setup a replacement but after seeing this I’m 100% positive you have the die set up wrong. Cheers!

Last edited:
Reactions: Baron23