• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Mike R. and Tac Ops

FALex

Headmaster of Romper Room
Minuteman
Feb 5, 2011
USA
Stumbled into a local fun store. Great shop, great dudes (and the owner's wife is sometimes there too)...anyhow, I was looking at a couple cans when I caught the glimmer of a unicorn dancing atop one of the display cases. Light shone down upon her. She was perfect and I didn't even know what the hell she was...

Sitting on top of this display case is a black barreled action, resting inside a McMillan A5. I could see the "Remington 700" from several feet away, but when I got closer, the "Tactical Operations...M40A1" really caught my attention. I've been doing this precision rifle thing for around 12 years now, and have read about Mike R and Tactical Operations, but I had never known anyone who possessed any of the hardware where I could handle it myself. Obviously, Mike's rifles look amazing in pictures, but putting hands on this rig was an entirely different experience. This thing is not a rifle, it is a work of art. It's insanity. Now, although I knew of Tac Ops and how bad ass their rifles are, I only knew of the Tango's, Sierra's, etc...I never knew they made an M40A1, so I told the shop dudes I wanted to go home and do some research and would possibly be back to grab it.

Now, if I am being 100% honest, I didn't really have the money, but just knowing over these 12+ years about Mike and Tac Ops, I couldn't let that sucker fall into someone else's lap, so the following day, I pulled the trigger. Here is where things get super cool...

Although Mike builds M40A1's, I knew this one was not correct 100% only because it was in an A5 and not in an HTG, so I reached out to a few dudes here on the Hide who I know are the Tac Ops gurus. I knew @MikeRTacOps was on the Hide, but I figured he was going to be too busy to talk, let alone talk to a dude who did not even buy the rifle directly from him, so I refrained from messaging him. At the time, those two gentleman, @kthomas and @OutlawTen5, were both gracious enough to contact me and speak with me about the rifle. We discussed the fact that it was probably going to be a great rifle, but that Mike most likely would not have built an M40A1 and put it in an A5.

Fast forward 3 hours and I'm driving home from work. I glanced down at my phone and had a missed call from Beverly Hills, CA. That is not a part of the world where FALex gets calls from, and there's not many telemarketers in Beverly Hills, so I called the number back. @MikeRTacOps answered that bad boy and said, "I heard you might have bought a rifle I built..." from that conversation forward, Mike has been 1000% dedicated to helping me learn the history of the rifle, informing me on things to check to see if the rifle has much wear and tear on it (on it's face, the rifle was in damn good condition), and he also advised me on things my local smith could check to see if she's been shot to shit or not. And of course, he offered to have me send it down to him and he would look it all over himself.

I know all of the more premier rifle builders are beyond busy these days, especially given the dramatic rise in popularity of the precision rifle shooting sports, but I gotta admit, the amount of time Mike has spent on the phone with me; answering my questions, analyzing pictures of various parts on the rifle, explaining certain processes, is nothing short of amazing. Here's this guy, one of the best gun builders on the planet, talking to some dork who bought a rifle of his secondhand, and yet he has gone way out of his way to ensure this thing is going to be the shooter he knows it can be. Mike will forget more about rifles in 5 minutes than I will ever know in my lifetime, but he was more than happy to convey his expertise on this build. The precision rifle community has many, many great people in it, but Mike's level of customer service is astounding. Shit, the simple fact he answers the phone a lot of the time is pretty fucking nutty. I don't even answer my phone as often as he does and I get less than 1% of the volume of calls! HAHAHA!!

Longer story getting shorter, I just wanted to hop on and put a post up about Mike and his company, because we need to give credit where and when it is due. Mike and I's adventure is far from over. I gotta get the rifle out and stretch it's legs, see how she does, but having the comfort of knowing that Mike is willing to assist if there are any issues, definitely alleviates a lot of "what if's." And to answer everyone's question, no, Mike did not initially build an M40A1 and put it in an A5 stock. LOL.

If there is anyone out there who is contemplating a Tac Ops build, give Mike a call. I promise you, after that phone call, you'll be holding that sweet, sweet rifle system, and you will have zero regrets. This dude is so solid, you could end up not even buying a damn thing from him, not even a t-shirt, but you'd still have a friend for life.

I figure Mike's going to read this, so cheers to you, my friend, words won't do justice how much I appreciate your help. You're more than a credit to this community and your profession.

very cool
it always impresses me the lengths and frequency with which Mike R goes to help people on the forum

Stumbled into a local fun store. Great shop, great dudes (and the owner's wife is sometimes there too)...anyhow, I was looking at a couple cans when I caught the glimmer of a unicorn dancing atop one of the display cases. Light shone down upon her. She was perfect and I didn't even know what the hell she was...

Sitting on top of this display case is a black barreled action, resting inside a McMillan A5. I could see the "Remington 700" from several feet away, but when I got closer, the "Tactical Operations...M40A1" really caught my attention. I've been doing this precision rifle thing for around 12 years now, and have read about Mike R and Tactical Operations, but I had never known anyone who possessed any of the hardware where I could handle it myself. Obviously, Mike's rifles look amazing in pictures, but putting hands on this rig was an entirely different experience. This thing is not a rifle, it is a work of art. It's insanity. Now, although I knew of Tac Ops and how bad ass their rifles are, I only knew of the Tango's, Sierra's, etc...I never knew they made an M40A1, so I told the shop dudes I wanted to go home and do some research and would possibly be back to grab it.

Now, if I am being 100% honest, I didn't really have the money, but just knowing over these 12+ years about Mike and Tac Ops, I couldn't let that sucker fall into someone else's lap, so the following day, I pulled the trigger. Here is where things get super cool...

Although Mike builds M40A1's, I knew this one was not correct 100% only because it was in an A5 and not in an HTG, so I reached out to a few dudes here on the Hide who I know are the Tac Ops gurus. I knew @MikeRTacOps was on the Hide, but I figured he was going to be too busy to talk, let alone talk to a dude who did not even buy the rifle directly from him, so I refrained from messaging him. At the time, those two gentleman, @kthomas and @OutlawTen5, were both gracious enough to contact me and speak with me about the rifle. We discussed the fact that it was probably going to be a great rifle, but that Mike most likely would not have built an M40A1 and put it in an A5.

Fast forward 3 hours and I'm driving home from work. I glanced down at my phone and had a missed call from Beverly Hills, CA. That is not a part of the world where FALex gets calls from, and there's not many telemarketers in Beverly Hills, so I called the number back. @MikeRTacOps answered that bad boy and said, "I heard you might have bought a rifle I built..." from that conversation forward, Mike has been 1000% dedicated to helping me learn the history of the rifle, informing me on things to check to see if the rifle has much wear and tear on it (on it's face, the rifle was in damn good condition), and he also advised me on things my local smith could check to see if she's been shot to shit or not. And of course, he offered to have me send it down to him and he would look it all over himself.

I know all of the more premier rifle builders are beyond busy these days, especially given the dramatic rise in popularity of the precision rifle shooting sports, but I gotta admit, the amount of time Mike has spent on the phone with me; answering my questions, analyzing pictures of various parts on the rifle, explaining certain processes, is nothing short of amazing. Here's this guy, one of the best gun builders on the planet, talking to some dork who bought a rifle of his secondhand, and yet he has gone way out of his way to ensure this thing is going to be the shooter he knows it can be. Mike will forget more about rifles in 5 minutes than I will ever know in my lifetime, but he was more than happy to convey his expertise on this build. The precision rifle community has many, many great people in it, but Mike's level of customer service is astounding. Shit, the simple fact he answers the phone a lot of the time is pretty fucking nutty. I don't even answer my phone as often as he does and I get less than 1% of the volume of calls! HAHAHA!!

Longer story getting shorter, I just wanted to hop on and put a post up about Mike and his company, because we need to give credit where and when it is due. Mike and I's adventure is far from over. I gotta get the rifle out and stretch it's legs, see how she does, but having the comfort of knowing that Mike is willing to assist if there are any issues, definitely alleviates a lot of "what if's." And to answer everyone's question, no, Mike did not initially build an M40A1 and put it in an A5 stock. LOL.

If there is anyone out there who is contemplating a Tac Ops build, give Mike a call. I promise you, after that phone call, you'll be holding that sweet, sweet rifle system, and you will have zero regrets. This dude is so solid, you could end up not even buying a damn thing from him, not even a t-shirt, but you'd still have a friend for life.

I figure Mike's going to read this, so cheers to you, my friend, words won't do justice how much I appreciate your help. You're more than a credit to this community and your profession.
Now you know why I told you that you had to speak with Mike personally...

Keith

What would be a ball park cost and wait time for an X-ray these days? I have been pouring over Tac Ops threads for about a week now. How should I pitch it to my wife?

Where is the "this thread is useless with pics" meme!?!
F68FC4FA-239D-4791-A24B-B86D3BA8235B.jpeg

Shit. Sorry fellas, I'll put some pics up this afternoon. I was kind of thinking the pics would have spurred the whole, "that's not an M40A1" crowd, but at the end of the day, who cares?

I also forgot to mention @Aries64 as someone who did tell me to contact Mike directly. Thank you sir.

Reactions: Krob95
@FALex I'm glad you found that gem in that shop, and that Mike was able to get in touch with you!

@MikeRTacOps is good shit, he certainly takes care of his people and his rifles. I've had nothing but great interactions with Mike, he's a stand-up guy that builds works of art that happens to do double duty as rifles :p

Enjoy the rifle, sounds like it's going to a great home!

I have two rifles from Mike and as I've said before, everything in my gun safe is for sale except those rifles. Interacting with Mike on those builds was great.

He loves what he does and and you can hear that in his voice, which makes every conversation with him just fun. He cares about his customers and in fact he called me the other night to see how I was getting along with my new Xray. Hopefully he won't retire too soon.

Reactions: FALex and kthomas
First off, I would like to thank you very much for the kind words and also for taking the time to write such a heart felt experience you had with me telephonically and posting it here on The Hide. You Definitely made a friend for life even though you did not buy directly through us. I enjoyed helping you and as I stated my comms are open from 10:30 a.m. till 2:00 a.m. seven days a week.

I would like to also thank the gentlemen in this thread that chimed in and are past and current customers of Tac Ops.

Another thanks goes out to the people that put thumbs up on the comments that's much appreciated more then you know…

Once again THANK YOU ALL...

Mike R.

So what's the story of why it is in a McMillan A5 stock instead of an HTG?
From my notes on this platform It was built in the McMillan HTG stock and I believe the gentleman sold it to another years later and the new owner preferred the A5 over the HTG and wanted a DBM system. The HTG is the Tac Ops M40A1 or Sierra and the A5 is our X-Ray platform...

Mike R.

Last edited:
Did you put the stock on?

Sorry about all the questions, I'm just curious. It's an interesting story of the rifle.

Did you put the stock on?

Sorry about all the questions, I'm just curious. It's an interesting story of the rifle.
The A5 I'd assume your speaking about? Negative, I did the original build on a HTG stock thus the nomenclature on the barreled action.

Mike R.

Reactions: JMGlasgow