• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Mil based Lightweight Hunting Scopes

Airw4ves

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Oct 10, 2014
Canada
www.youtube.com
Hello all,
First off, if I missed a thread discussing this already please let me know and I’ll delete.

Im looking for a lightweight hunting optic to go on a Sako A7 in 6.5 CM. I wont be doing any 1000yard shots with this thing, so optical clarity doesnt need to be S&B worthy. The problem Im having is that all the optics I find in the $1-1.5k price range are MOA based or weigh a fair amount, and being that I already use a Minox ZP5 5-25 for my LR build, Id prefer to keep it the same Mil based system.
Im not set on the $1000 range, but would like to keep it under $1500. This will be my first hunting rifle, and from what I read, MR4 reticle Im used to may be a bit too busy for the hunting application.
I had heard Bushnell was coming out with a new line this year but have no knowledge of what or when.
No rush on this either, just wanted to see whats out there that I may have missed.
Thanks all!

So by "hunting optic" do you mean SFP vs a FFP? I ask because any optic can be used for hunting (within the law), I can use a red dot as a hunting optic if I so choose, may not be the best application, but you get the point. So if you're looking for a FFP optic that is lightweight I'm sure you've already realized there is slim pickins out there (depending on the definition of lightweight). For FFP I consider anything 30oz or less to be lightweight. I would give serious consideration to the Bushnell LRHS 4.5-18x44 deal that GA Precision has going on right now, I don't think you'll find a better scope at that price and I like the G2H reticle for hunting with the circle of death feature. The Leupold Mark 5HD 3.6-18x44 might just fit within your budget if you shop around for a TMR reticle. ILya has given high praise to the Vortex PST II 3-15x44. Now, if you want SFP then that opens another door with more 30oz or less options. If you're willing to go over 30oz then there are other options of course.

I have heard that SFP is better suited to hunting, but Im not partial to one or the other. I do like the look of that Bushnell reticle! Very clean and useable. The Vortex PST was also in my mind, but having never held one I wasnt sure how heavy it was.
As for the Nightforce, I will have to take a look, but had always thought them a bit on the heavy side.

I shoot PRS and hunt. I would not hunt with my amg or swafa where I thought I was going to take a close shot because when turned the ffp magnification down it makes the reticle to small for my taste. I use my Nightforce or actually a lot of my rifles wear Nikon monarch 5s. The PST lacks field of view in my opinion. This is my observation from using one on my practice rifle and switching back and forth from the PST to the AMG. If I can keep my scope on 10 power or above when hunting I would use one my FFP especially where holdovers or hold offs are needed.

Reactions: stwcattle
I have heard that SFP is better suited to hunting, but Im not partial to one or the other.
It's all subjective and comes down to what do you prefer. Yes a FFP reticle gets small, by design, but for the type of hunting you're going to do you have to decide whether or not that will be a limiting factor. If you have the right reticle I think a FFP scope can be very usable for hunting, especially if it offers illumination. Some of the more competition oriented reticles might struggle a bit in this area but only at the lower end of the magnification. If you are never going to holdover and always going to dial elevation then maybe SFP makes more sense, but being limited to one specific magnification setting to holdover with a SFP scope I find more limiting. Like I mentioned, the G2H has a great reticle for FFP because the circle of death helps when you're at bottom magnification, I'd like to see more manufacturers offer something like that in their FFP rets.

2.5-10x42 NXS meets all of your requirements. It is a fantastic little scope. They go used around here for $1400-1600

If you can find one of the discontinued 10x fixed power S&B’s you have a great set up.

I have heard that SFP is better suited to hunting, but Im not partial to one or the other. I do like the look of that Bushnell reticle! Very clean and useable. The Vortex PST was also in my mind, but having never held one I wasnt sure how heavy it was.
As for the Nightforce, I will have to take a look, but had always thought them a bit on the heavy side.

If you think the NF is on the heavy side, then your search is done and you are out of luck! It is 20oz, making it the absolute lightest option mentioned in this thread. Many of the suggestions here are much heavier than that. I use several variations of those 2.5-10, and love them. AFAIK, the only lighter mil option is the NX8 or NXS 1-4.

Reactions: silentheart
Find a March 3-24x 42 or 50mm FFP. Either Mil or Moa. They show up used here on occation. You will pay for it, but they are a fantastic option. I have used one as a hunting and match scope for the past 6 years. Many don't like the reticle thickness, but I have never had an issue with it. The Mil version subtends to .05 mil. It is usable in the lower power ranges and works just fine on the upper end.

My favorite hunting scope is the NF 4-16x42 but I have more hunting rifles and AR's outfitted with NF 3.5-15x50's than anything.
If your hunting range is 400 yards max, a NF 2.5-10x42 would be my suggestion.

As far as SFP vs FFP, SFP is really advantageous if the hunter needs to dial power down for a up close shot. If i got to turn the power down, its likely I'm so close to the shot wind isnt much of a factor to make a ethical shot and with the full sized SFP reticle, I can easily/quickly hold the a few inch's of the vitals with the center crosshairs if some wind is present.

With that said, I do prefer FFP on higher powered scopes lik a 25x. Reason being I might need to make a 500 yard shot on say 18x. At 500 yards on 18 power and with a wind of only half value, a accurate hold is a must.

I have bushnell 3-12 lrhs scopes on almost all my rifles. Imho it is one of the most verstile scopes made under 1k.
It is ffp but the reticle is very usable down to 4x even in low light.
I prefer mil/mil and ffp and like to keep all my optics as similar as possible.

Thinking about selling my NF 2.5x10x42 scope.... Seems like I need more magnification

That Bushnell LRHSi looks like the ticket! Im going to have to start saving up for one. I love the reticle and having a Bushnell DMR II prior, I know the glass is good and turrets not too bad.

Thanks for the suggestions all. And by Nightforce being heavy I meant the ATACR, as thats the only one Ive looked through.

Athlon Argos BTR in Mil may fit the bill, easy on the wallet too.

That Bushnell LRHSi looks like the ticket! Im going to have to start saving up for one. I love the reticle and having a Bushnell DMR II prior, I know the glass is good and turrets not too bad.

Thanks for the suggestions all. And by Nightforce being heavy I meant the ATACR, as thats the only one Ive looked through.
Just for reference, the ATACR 4-16 is 2 oz heavier than the LRHSi. The F1 referenced above is the same weight as the 4-16. I don't consider any of those to be lightweight, but everyone has their own requirements. The 5-25 ATACR is 38 oz, and the 7-35 is like 39.

You might take a look at a Leica ERi 2.5-10x42 or 3-12x50 with their "Ballistic" reticle. The Ballistic reticle is MIL based, and as long as you get the illuminated models (designated by the "i" in the ERi) the turrets will also be in MIL. (On the ER models, the turrets are MOA based.)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Leica-...828156&hash=item467d091fa5:g:HSAAAOSwbYdasRCi
This one has capped turrets, but you can also find a few around with exposed turrets. Awesome glass, weighs in between 18 and 19 oz, and is a great hunting scope. Only limitation is the elevation adjustment -- should be enough to take a 6.5 CM to 1000 yds though (barely).