• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Mil-C or Mil-XT

I have both in my ELR guns and prefer the MIL-C for the reason you asked. My .416 will be topped with a MIL-C. Although this becomes a mute point if you have a good dedicated spotter.

Reactions: chiroz
Having had both I like the Mil-XT better and still own Mil-XTs. Nothing wrong with the Mil-C I can just have more precise hold overs with the Mil-XT when the wind is blowing.

All my NF are mil-C, my guess is most shooters have plenty of time to dial for elevation and you can hold for wind or dial it if you choose. I like the clean open reticle. Just my 2 cents!

Does the Mil-XT “tree” ever make spotting bullet splash difficult at distance?

At 1 mile or better, I prefer less clutter to make splash easier to spot. 1k and in, I like tree reticles, as splash is easier to see and they provide more utility. In between, take your pick depending on the round fired.

Mil XT for me.

I always hold wind, except on movers, and can see splash at 1400 easy. Anything past that in the matches I shoot have target indicators.

I have the MilC and wish I had XT but it's on a Blaser r8 as a huting rifle so not a huge deal

MIL-XT. You can see your splash and then make the required corrections precisely using the tree. If you like a clearer view then the MIL-C is for you. IOW, if you use a tree, get the XT. If not, get the C.

Reactions: Junco Grande
I have had both and prefer the Mil-XT. I feel it’s easier to pick up on the lower magnification and obviously like using the tree on the higher end.

You are only giving up versatility going to the C over the XT. Not gaining anything. The simple tree styles like the XT will not cover splash or cause issues seeing it. What they do is allow you to easily and quickly adjust for the splash. I have shot to a mile with my Vortex 7C reticle and could see splash no problem out there. The XT is similar is style.

You are only giving up versatility going to the C over the XT. Not gaining anything. The simple tree styles like the XT will not cover splash or cause issues seeing it. What they do is allow you to easily and quickly adjust for the splash. I have shot to a mile with my Vortex 7C reticle and could see splash no problem out there. The XT is similar is style.

That depends on the material surrounding the target, bullet weight, etc. I've been in plenty of situations at mile+ where I had a hard time seeing the splash of a 230gr Berger out of my 300 PRC because the dirt was moist, or there was vegetation near the target. The wind would shift somewhere down range, I'd miss, and I didn't know how to correct. I've done that with both x-mas tree (7C) and non. I vastly prefer a clean reticle in those situations. Shooting into dry dirt? It doesn't matter, but then do you always know ahead of time what your backstop will be?

That depends on the material surrounding the target, bullet weight, etc. I've been in plenty of situations at mile+ where I had a hard time seeing the splash of a 230gr Berger out of my 300 PRC because the dirt was moist, or there was vegetation near the target. The wind would shift somewhere down range, I'd miss, and I didn't know how to correct. I've done that with both x-mas tree (7C) and non. I vastly prefer a clean reticle in those situations. Shooting into dry dirt? It doesn't matter, but then do you always know ahead of time what your backstop will be?

Tough time seeing splash due to vegetation or ground condition has nothing to do with the reticle. Would happen with any reticle. Having a good reticle to see the splash and make a good correction is key and the tree reticles will not block splash. That was the point.

Reactions: Secant
Tough time seeing splash due to vegetation or ground condition has nothing to do with the reticle. Would happen with any reticle. Having a good reticle to see the splash and make a good correction is key and the tree reticles will not block splash. That was the point.
of all the grid reticles, i agree the XT is the best. The Hirus is not only busy but the dots are not opaque enough. they actually block what u r seeing.

Yeah I don’t consider Horus reticles as Christmas tree style like the XT, 7C, MPCT3 etc. Horus are in their own group. Not a fan myself either.

A xmas tree reticle covers more of the area around the target under the horizontal. If you impact in an area where the xmas tree lines are covering after the shot, then they make it more difficult to see the lesser visible splash. This is especially true in wetter/moister dirt, where the splash is a very small black "dot" that appears for less than a second. The clutter on many xmas tree reticles draws your attention and makes it more difficult to identify the splash "dot."

It's a fundamental usability tenet - the more there is in your field of view, the harder it is to concentrate on what matters, especially if the ancillary items obscure it.

A xmas tree reticle covers more of the area around the target under the horizontal. If you impact in an area where the xmas tree lines are covering after the shot, then they make it more difficult to see the lesser visible splash. This is especially true in wetter/moister dirt, where the splash is a very small black "dot" that appears for less than a second. The clutter on many xmas tree reticles draws your attention and makes it more difficult to identify the splash "dot."

It's a fundamental usability tenet - the more there is in your field of view, the harder it is to concentrate on what matters, especially if the ancillary items obscure it.

Have to agree to disagree as I have not had that experience. If you can see splash then you can see it and the small lines/dots of the tree reticles haven’t gotten in my way seeing it.