• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Advanced Marksmanship Mil dot - distance calculations

dudz

Private
Minuteman
Jan 26, 2010
New Zealand
Hi

I have been reading about how to calculate distances of targets by mil dots and target size. This was a good site to see ;( http://www.shooterready.com/ )

My question is. Do the calculations work with any quality mil dot scope ?, and does it make any difference if the scope is zero'd at 125yrds instead of 100yrds ? (for example)

Re: Mil dot - distance calculations

Those calculations work with any scope with a graduated reticle, provided, if the scope has a reticle in the second focal-plane, that the magnification ring is on the power where the reticle is correct.

The formulas vary, depending upon the type of reticle, the units the target is measured in, and the units the range is desired to be in - see:

Ranging Formulas

The range at which the scope is zeroed does not matter.

Great !

I am working with a SWFA SS10x42M scope, so I think I should be ok then.

Thanks

Check to see that your scope shows 10cm in 100 meters per mil. You can also do 3.6" in 100 yards per mil. Mark a target both vertically and horizontally at 3.6" increments, sight it and check to see that you have one mil per 3.6". If you do, you are right on. Be exttra careful to measure your target distance correctly. That is the hard part.

I understand the formulas and use them. What i don't understand are the constants by which one multiplies. For example...what makes 27.77 the constant by which you multiply when the target size is inches?

I know that I am showing my lack of math skills here, but my curisosity is killing me.

Thanks Bob, That is exactly what I was looking for.

Nomad, I will be ordering that soon, along with some other stuff.