• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Mil Dot Ranging Help

dgwelsh

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 16, 2007
Chestertown, MD
I tried the test put together by mr Thunder and well failed. I would like to be at least semi proficient at mil dot ranging. Is there a book out there that can help me. I have looked at the shooter ready software demo's but wasn't that impressed. Does anyone have the software and like or dislike it. Any help is appreciated
dgwelsh

Re: Mil Dot Ranging Help

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Get a MilDot Master! </div></div> and a LRF.... I Mill then check with the LRF when practicing....

dgwelsh,

From time to time I hold mil-dot only classes. let me know if you want to come down for one and we can set it up to help you learn.

John

Just south of Danville Va.

So its not to bad. Look up Hillsborough NC and the training location is 30 min's north of that town.

John

The Shooter Ready Software is fun, but obviously it's no replacement for practice in the field. I use it when I can't get out to shoot (like the middle of the work week) kind of like dry firing.

There aren't any secrets to Mildot range estimation. You just have to practice until you eye can break down the reticle in smaller and smaller increments. You can, quite easily get down to .1 mil accuracy.

A good way to practice would be to get a mildot scope and a LRF. Mil and range estimate with the scope then check your answer with the LRF. Use known size common objects like street signs. If you use a scope that is not attached to a rifle (or any object that even looks like a rifle) then there are gobs of places you can practice.

Bill P, I am definitely willing to cross the bridge. Mr. Boyette's operation is a little far for me alone right now but maybe this fall especially if others want to ride along.

LoneWolf, I have only tried the free demo software, and think its great for math practice, but can't seem to get the windage correct which makes me a little hesitant to purchase. Do you think the software is worthwhile.

again thanks a bunch for everyones help.
dgwelsh

What the software will do is help you to practice breaking down the reticle. The math is just math.

The wind can be tricky, but nowhere near as tricky as it is in real life. It's either 5, 10 or 15mph. and doesn't fishtail or change as soon as you dial it in.

Play with the simulation for a bit and you will be making first round hits in no time.

My mildot ranging consists of looking through the scope at the target, wondering how far away it is, then take out my Leica 1200S and press the button to find out.

I am weak.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M.45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My mildot ranging consists of looking through the scope at the target, wondering how far away it is, then take out my Leica 1200S and press the button to find out.

I am weak. </div></div>

ROFL!!! That's exactly what one of my shooting buddies does!! I gave him the math formula for converting Mil-Dot to range in yards and then we went out in a huge parking lot that was closed on the weekend and placed a 40 inch tall piece of cardboard target backing on a stick.

We both checked the target against our reticle and did the math to get the distance, then confirmed with a LR.....we were never more than 30 yards off.

The hardest part of mil ranging is estimating the size of the target. My modular sniper data book has all kinds of common objects in the back I recommend a good data book for everyone and it has wind formulas too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dgwelsh</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I tried the test put together by mr Thunder and well failed. I would like to be at least semi proficient at mil dot ranging. Is there a book out there that can help me. I have looked at the shooter ready software demo's but wasn't that impressed. Does anyone have the software and like or dislike it. Any help is appreciated
dgwelsh </div></div>
This site is helpful to practise the theory at home.
http://www.shooterready.com/mildot.html

Try not to feel too bad Welsh.

Looking at the mil-dots in RT51s exercise, they were vastly out of proportion compared to what the dots should have been. Every mil-dot scope I have ever used had mil-dots that were .2 mils in diameter.

The ones in the photos provided (if you assume the dots are still 1 mil center to center from eachother) appear to have a diameter of approximately .5 mils. Would definitely throw someone off if they are used to breaking down the mil reticle like I am.

Anyone know if there are .5 mil diameter dots on any scopes out there? There may be.

As for actually getting better, practice practice practice they way people are describing here. Understand the concept, apply it, and then check it against reality (LRF, pacecount, map, etc) to see how close you are getting.

Biggest factors are to know the size of the object you are measuring and be as precise as you can while getting your mil reading. The math is simple enough.

Ajw, could you do just that and recommend a good book?

Country, I have used the shooter ready demo a bunch. Estimating distance is getting easier but I can't get the wind worth a damn. So obviously I am blaming the software, or atleast wondering how consistent/realistic it is. Is the full version any better?

McCrazy, there is no substitute for actually shooting. I still would like to atleast thoroughly understand the theory and application, then shoot some more. I am getting there however slowly. Thank you for your service and input and come home safe.

thanks again
dgwelsh

DG- you don't need to shoot to get more proficient at using the mil-relation formula. You just need to use the formula.

Use your scope with mil-dots and start ranging things down the street from your house or work by looking through windows. Just don't let your neighbors see you or they will freak out and call the police.

Also, which form of the equation are you using? I was taught and prefer to this day to use the one that uses inches since I am used to measuring in inches anyways. No Lindy, I am not saying that mils have anything to do with the metric system
wink.gif

Anyhow: take known size of the target in inches (say standard 40 inch tall E-type silhouette), multiply that by the constant (which is a constant 25.4). So far you have 40(inches) times 25.4 (constant) equals 1016.

Now say you measure this E-type target through your mil-dot reticle from top to bottom (40 inch height) and to the best of your ability determine the target to be 1.2 mils tall.

Take the 1016 you got earlier and divide it by the 1.2 mils, resulting in 846.6. From now until the day you die, if you see an E-type that is 1.2 mils tall in your reticle then it is 847 meters away.

Hopefully that helps you understand the theory and application of the concept DG. If you already knew that much then I am sorry for wasting your time.

And thanks for your support and well wishes.

That is the equation I am using and am getting better at mil measurement. The wind is difficult without actually pulling the trigger. Should be nice this weekend. I will continue to learn. thanks again
dgwelsh

Got a chance to put the math to the test yesturday, did pretty well. Thanks again for all the help.

The one I was referring to is actually called the modular sniper data book, it is made my us tactical supply. it has common sized objects, all kinds of range cards, movers formulas and leads, wind formulas and leads, mil ranging cards and formulas, it also has ballistic data for us military sniper systems so if you are using say m118lr the data is pretty close. anyway it is another tool. like anything else practice is the best way to get better at anything.
By the way it is in a mini 3 ring binder 6x8 and is on rite in the rain paper the waterproof stuff. between $35 and $40.
Hope this helps
Adam