• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes mil dot readings

macv

Private
Minuteman
Sep 16, 2004
no. wisconsin. USA
Hello, well yesterday I rec'd my first Super Sniper 20x42 scope. It looks and feels great. But this is my question. On my Bushnell Elite 4200 MD scope, I must have it set on 12X in order to figure out my distance. With the SS, do I just take the reading of the amount of mils Im reading and figure out the distance on my Mil Dot Master? There was nothing in the manual to sugest this. Thank you.

Re: mil dot readings

If its fixed power then yes the reticle is the right scale for the magnification that the scope is.

I am not trying to challenge you here, but can you figure out the distance without the mil dot master? I highly advocate working with the equation first, and then after you feel confident with your math, go ahead and plug away with the master.

Yes, I can figure out distances without the MD Master. That is how I started before buying the MDM. But you know how that goes, we always have to have more things to play with. I started out with the "Ultimate Sniper" book from my neighbor (80 miles away) John Plaster, and learned alot about mils from it. That was before I even had a mil dot scope. But thanks for asking, and I believe also that one should know how to figure it out in more ways than one.