• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes mil-dot Reticle off?

Hook Creek

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 7, 2010
Catskill Mountains, NY
I am new to using mil-dots to range out my targets, but I have tried a few different formulas to get inaccurate readings. it seems like I'm off 15 yards for every hundred, 115 when its 100, 230 when it 200, etc. are the reticles sometimes off a little?

Re: mil-dot Reticle off?

Something that I've done in the past was draw lines spaced 1 mrad, 2 mrad and 3 mrad apart at 100 yards. Then from a distance of 100 yards compare the mil-dot spacing to the distance between the lines.

First off it depends whether or not you are using a Front Focal Plane or Second Focal Plane scope... with a Second Focal Plane scope the mils only work on one power and the magnification ring may not be right, so you have to map the reticle.

Part of this is why with the new SH Training Target I included a scale down the sides that can be used to calibrate the Mils and test tracking

221431_10151155061267953_1005464137_o.jpg

There is a post on that, they are shipping now and will be here in a few days.

They will be available through Mile High Shooting and once they hit the loading dock I will make an announcement regarding pricing... figure about a $1 a piece