• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft Mil-Dot sizing at magnification

LS6TT

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 28, 2009
DFW, Texas
Question on determining target range based on mil-dot sizing.

Since the mil dot reading will be different at 3x then it is at 10x how do I do the math on different magnifications?

Re: Mil-Dot sizing at magnification

You don't......do it on 10X if that's the correct setting for your scope.

explain, if the scope is a 3-9 do you mean the manufacture will state which magnification to set it to?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LS6TT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">explain, if the scope is a 3-9 do you mean the manufacture will state which magnification to set it to?</div></div>

nope...the one you ask about...being now advertized will work at any power setting because its a 1st focal plane reticule.....thats why you are paying the big bux for the latest greatest

I guess you know what scope he's talking about, since he didn't mention it in the post...

Or are you the reincarnation of Karnack the Magnificent?
laugh.gif

Lindy said:
I guess you know what scope he's talking about, since he didn't mention it in the post...

Or are you the reincarnation of Karnack the Magnificent?
laugh.gif

[/quote

ROFL!! I was wondering where in the Hell I missed his make & model scope in the original post!!

yea im not asking about scope specific..didnt mention a model..lol

OK - going back to your original question.

If you have a second focal-plane scope, the reticle is only accurate at one magnification. With <span style="font-style: italic">most</span> scopes, it is the maximum power. If that's the case, use it for ranging - there is no reason to use a lower power for ranging.

If you want to know how to use the reticle at a lower power for moving target leads, wind holds, holdovers, and holdunders, see this article, down near the bottom, where it tells you how to calibrate the power ring for use at half power:

Optically Checking Rifle Scopes