• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Mil GAP or GEN II XR for my new USO

pklin1297

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 10, 2008
Fontana, CA
Hello all,

Jeff @ USO is waiting for my answer on which reticule I want since they are ready to install the erector in my new USO. Which reticule would you prefer and why?

Scope is SN3 3.2-17x TPAL, 44mm objective, 35mm tube.

I've had a USO in Mil-GAP and liked it for its simplicity and "cleaniness" if that makes sense. It does get a little thick on high magnification...

I'm however looking into shooting with a local club on tac competitions where there will be some stages where holding for elevation and wind will be required, or recommended, and I'd like the features of the GEN II XR to train with. Does this reticule get "busy" sometimes?

Rifle will be Howa heavy barreled .308, 26" 1-10 twist in either B&C Medalist A2 or Manners T4 with CDI DBM.

Thanks much!

Re: Mil GAP or GEN II XR for my new USO

I like the Gen II XR. How it stacks up against the GAP I have no idea. But I will say that given the choice I go back with the Gen II XR because it blends well with how I use the scope. I try not to dial any corrections thus leaving me holding for both wind and bullet drop. So the design of the reticle fits me well.

In a USO, GAP Mil.

The GenII XR isnt exactly like the one in the Premier 5-25, does not have numbers and what not. and in the 17X SN3, it looks a lot finer than in the Premier.

YMMV,

Vu

I still have much to learn about long range shooting, and haven't really had my own equipment to learn whether I prefer to hold, or dial. I have tried both methods with my friend's R&D rifle with USO and have no preference from one to the other. But with the time restraints and rules of competition whichever one will give me the edge would be preferred, but I'm sure with diligent practice the proficiency and speed with either one could be achieved...

Is my reasoning correct, or am I just making up stuff to make my decision even harder?
laugh.gif

<span style="font-size: 26pt">MPR!!!</span>

Those who say "too busy" usually haven't shot one, just looked on paper...

I'm with Vu, the GenIIXR is best left to the 25X topend scopes.

Hey Pete, thanks for asking this question, you saved me the trouble
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-size: 26pt">MPR!!!</span>

Those who say "too busy" usually haven't shot one, just looked on paper...

I'm with Vu, the GenIIXR is best left to the 25X topend scopes. </div></div>

This would get my vote too.

My original order was for MPR, but a mishap by the reticle manufacturer pushed my delivery date back over a month so I wanted to decide between these two.

Just emailed Jeff and chose the GAP. I've used it and liked it, and they are able to get right on it and put it in today so I said what the heck. I put in the order late January and I think 8 - 9 months is long enough wait, for me.
laugh.gif

J-Ham, you're welcome! I know most of the guys here are tired of these "which reticle" questions but I searched and couldn't find the answer I needed.
smile.gif

Thanks all!

There is certainly a wealth of knowledge here. I just try to keep my eyes & ears open and my mouth shut.

I used a GAP mil reticle for the first time at ASC in a ST-10. I really liked it at 10x.

For a practical reticle you can't beat the Gen II XL, but the XR has its limitations. Maybe go GAP Mil for a competition gun.

GAP would be my second choice.
But I'd use a borrowed first gen SWFA SS until the MPR's came in personally, I like it that much!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SoCalPete</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My original order was for MPR, but a mishap by the reticle manufacturer pushed my delivery date back over a month so I wanted to decide between these two.

Just emailed Jeff and chose the GAP. I've used it and liked it, and they are able to get right on it and put it in today so I said what the heck. I put in the order late January and I think 8 - 9 months is long enough wait, for me.
laugh.gif

J-Ham, you're welcome! I know most of the guys here are tired of these "which reticle" questions but I searched and couldn't find the answer I needed.
smile.gif

Thanks all! </div></div>

I wonder if that is why my 3.8-22 is taking so long...........

Probably Falar, I ordered some new features that just became available for my scope which took longer to complete, but the last info I got from Arnold two weeks ago was that the latest batch of MPR reticles were missing some numbers on the reticle (not sure how the Manuf. could miss that in QC) so my scope hasn't even started.

Jeff asked me if I wanted to go with MPR today so maybe the new batch came in and ready for install? I try not to bug them too much but I got anxious. Still went with GAP though.

I tried a SN3 with the GEN 2 XR reticle and found it was to busy for me. I run GAP on my other SN3's and have the matching USO spotter with GAP reticle. I have become a big fan of this reticle. The Gen 2 XR reticle would be very effective for quick holds and movers ... and given some time behind it im sure one would get used to it ... I personally didn't like it. GAP is simple and effective ... has nice big numbers so my dumba$$ doesn't mess things up!

FWIW...I went with a GAP reticle. It seems to work great. I do not find the reticle to be too thick, even on 17x.

Thanks John, but I think the Erector for my scope was completed yesterday, at least that's what Jeff was trying to get done.
smile.gif

Do you have reticle information for 121? And what part of it gets illuminated? I'm also wondering how well those hold-over dots can be seen at low magnifications?

Personal preference really. I prefer the larger has marks on the full value vs. the other way around with the Gen II XR. Between the GAP and MPR, I prefer the GAP. Tried the MPR. Just didn't like it.

No Mil GAP experience so consider the input...

I have the Gen IIXR in my 3-15 PH and it's ideal for the types of matches that I shoot. Tac LR matches; dial elevation, hold for windage.
I agree that on lower powers that it's so fine that using the mil hashes for windage holds would be tough. I find that I use it on courses at low power when I'm locating targets but always zoom up to 12-15x when engaging targets 100-1000 yds.

Have the USO SN-3 1.8-10 in 1/10 Mil W&E with JNG-Mil Reticle. It's excellent. It's not "too busy" to me.

The Mil-GAP is similar to the JNG-Mil, minus the circumferential ring. Recommend the Mil-GAP.

Jeff's configuring my future SN-3 T-PAL 3.2-17 with the Mil-GAP reticle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JBW#3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We also have this one for the 17X. If you want it they are the 121 reticle, we made these for Barrett.
391902278.jpg

John III </div></div>

Very nice! Do you have a drawing posted of that reticle on your website? Asking cause I couldn't find it.

The USO website is being renewed and it currently does not have a lot of their available options listed. I tried looking for that reticle and could not find it either.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JBW#3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We also have this one for the 17X. If you want it they are the 121 reticle, we made these for Barrett.
391902278.jpg

John III </div></div>

I got one of these from a friend in a trade any place to find details on this reticle, I have searched a bunch with no luck

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SoCalPete</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hello all,

Jeff @ USO is waiting for my answer on which reticule I want since they are ready to install the erector in my new USO. Which reticule would you prefer and why?</div></div>
I owned and used a 35mm tube, 3.2-17X 44mm Lo Pro ERGO with 0.1 MIL EREK, 0.1 MIL LH US#3 M40 Windage, and Green GAP reticle for a couple of years. Great scope and reticle. The clean design of the GAP reticle allows a nearly unobstructed view of the target area, allowing easy spotting and adjustments if necessary. Part of this "clean" design are the short full MIL hash marks and short 0.5 MIL hash marks that do not bisect the main lines (the hash marks don't pass-through the main lines, they "T" into them). The only improvement I would add to the GAP reticle I would be a 5th MIL added at "9", "12", and "3" broken-down into 0.2 MIL increments for easier size estimation/milling.

Some posters in this thread have mentioned the "MPR", which has 0.2 MIL hash marks to either side of each FULL MIL. However, the MPR's MIL, 0.5 MIL, and 0.2 MIL hashes are all too long and all bisect the main lines. This makes the MPR much less clean and clutters the view, making spotting impacts close to the aiming point more difficult to see and correct for. I spent a lot of time looking through various USO models configured with MPR and GAP reticles at various magnifications both before and after I bought my first GAP-equipped SN-3 3.2-17X 44mm ERGO Lo Pro. And comparing a Gen 2 XR-equipped PMII 5-25X 0.1 MIL CCW and Gen 2 XR-equipped 3.2-17X ERGO alongside an MPR-equipped USO 3.2-17X ERGO and T-PAL, I found the MPR reticle too busy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SoCalPete</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Scope is SN3 3.2-17x TPAL, 44mm objective, 35mm tube.</div></div>
Excellent scope. A friend's 35mm tube, 3.2-17X 44mm T-PAL with EREK is really nice - solidly-built, very positive "clicks", excellent image quality, and very smooth-turning magnification and parallax adjustments. Its' great, even though his scope is MOA-based (wink).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SoCalPete</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've had a USO in Mil-GAP and liked it for its simplicity and "cleaniness" if that makes sense. It does get a little thick on high magnification...</div></div>
I never had a problem using my GAP reticle-equipped 3.2-17X 44mm Lo Pro ERGO quartering and shooting 0.5 MOA targets out to almost 1,000 yards, but if you find the GAP's reticle <span style="font-style: italic">"a little thick on high magnification"</span> you definitely will not like the MPR, as the MPR's line thicknesses are the same as the GAP's. Add-in all the hashes cluttering the view and you would probably hate it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SoCalPete</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm however looking into shooting with a local club on tac competitions where there will be some stages where holding for elevation and wind will be required, or recommended, and I'd like the features of the GEN II XR to train with. Does this reticule get "busy" sometimes?</div></div>
I don't own nor have I used USO's version of the Gen 2 XR, but I have compared Gen 2 XR-equipped USO's to PMII 5-25X Gen 2 XRs' side-by-side. While the reticles did look different between the USO and PMII, John Williams (USO Owner) has told me that the USO subtensions are standard Gen 2 XR. I (and others) have had the same experience when comparing Gen 2 XR-equipped PMIIs' alongside Gen 2 XR-equipped Premier 5-25Xs' (although the reticle specifications are the same on paper, the reticles appear slightly different when viewed through the scopes in person <span style="font-style: italic">with the scopes' adjusted to the same <span style="font-weight: bold">indicated</span> magnification).</span> Obviously, there is no way to know if the <span style="font-style: italic">indicated</span> magnifications were <span style="font-style: italic">exactly</span> the same. That said, I own and use two (2) Gen 2 XR-equipped PMII 5-25X 0.1 MIL CCWs'. All of the lines of the Gen 2 XR are more fine (thinner) than those of the GAP (and MPR), providing a very clean view of the target and surrounding area. Shooting and spotting with a Gen 2 XR is very easy.

Also, contrary to what some posters like to say - some MPR proponents included, the Gen 2 XR IS NOT busy. Again, the fineness of the Gen 2 XR's lines plays a part in this as all lines, dots, and hash marks are very fine. This makes the Gen 2 XR great for shooting small targets regardless of near or far as well as for observation and correction calling.

The downside is that, aside from optical properties - reticle visibility is dependant upon line thickness, ambient lighting, terrain background, and magnification. The fine lines of the Gen 2 XR reticle make it more difficult to see than a reticle with thicker lines and hash marks. Even in good light, <span style="font-style: italic">for Hiders' who have used a Gen 2 XR and posted on the Hide'</span>, the magnification setting at which the Gen 2 XR's hash marks and dots are visible (and thus usable) seems to be around 7X or 8X. Your mileage may vary. I can see and use the hash marks and dots down to 7X but it takes me some effort. The sweet spot for me is 10X+, but I often crank up to 25X for paper and steel because I have a more exact aiming point. The 17X top end of the 3.2-17X you have on order should be enough for .5 MOA targets out to 1,000 yards with either the GAP or Gen 2 XR reticle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SoCalPete</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Rifle will be Howa heavy barreled .308, 26" 1-10 twist in either B&C Medalist A2 or Manners T4 with CDI DBM.</div></div>
Given a choice between a B&C Medalist A2 and a Manners T4 I would definitely go with the Manners T4. B & C stocks' aren't constructed nearly as sturdily, and feel hollow and cheap compared to McMillan and Manners stocks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SoCalPete</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks much!
</div></div>
You're welcome, I hope this helps.

And, just-in-case your spelling of <span style="font-style: italic">"reticle"</span> wasn't tongue-in-cheek, the proper term and spelling is <span style="font-style: italic">"reticle"</span>, NOT <span style="font-style: italic">"reticule"</span>.

Keith