• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

mil hash rimfire scope? ring height?

Nukes

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 12, 2012
Central Coast of AZ
My search has not revealed a rimfire scope with a mil hash reticle to mount on a Tactical Solutions X-Ring (Ruger 10/22 clone) with integral Picatinny rail and Gemtech MIST barrel in a Magpul Hunter stock.

The closest I have come is the Leupold VX Freedom 3-9x33 with the "Tri-MOA" reticle, though obviously not a mil hash. I am aiming (pun intended) for consistency with our mil and Christmas tree scopes.

Can anyone recommend a suitable scope—even if it involves a MOA or other compromise? Any recommendations for rings and ring height?

Thank you in advance.

Reactions: steve123
I'm surprised you haven't heard of Athlon Optics. There's the Talos BTR 4-14x44/$300MAP and the Argos BTR 6-24x50/$369MAP, that I use. They both focus as close as 10 yards, have good glass and tree reticles in .2 mil and .5 mil.

I'm surprised you haven't heard of Athlon Optics. There's the Talos BTR 4-14x44/$300MAP and the Argos BTR 6-24x50/$369MAP, that I use. They both focus as close as 10 yards, have good glass and tree reticles in .2 mil and .5 mil.

I had not heard of Athlon until you mentioned it here.
The Talos might fit the bill.
Thank you.

Anyone else have any suggestions? Or experience with the Athlon line of optics?

I have an Athlon on one 22, the reticle is nice on the Argos, not great on the Ares.. the turrets are horrific on the Argos.

The GenII PST FFP has adj parallax to 25yds and the turrets are much nicer, of course so does the AMG and S&B runs down to 10y

Also you can see a bunch of other options at places like Airgun Depot

I have an Athlon on one 22, the reticle is nice on the Argos, not great on the Ares.. the turrets are horrific on the Argos.

The GenII PST FFP has adj parallax to 25yds and the turrets are much nicer, of course so does the AMG and S&B runs down to 10y

I wouldn't say horrific by any means, unless there is something wrong with your scope, that's a big exaggeration! You are coming at this from the expensive scope feel and comparison of turrets and quality vs comparing other inexpensive scopes to the Athlon inexpensive offerings. Now are they as nice as some of the standby fixed power scope turrets, no they aren't but they aren't bad either. If I can win our State Field Target air rifle match in my division 2 years in a row using the Argos BTR 6-24x50.......

Onto other features, reticle preference is a personal choice, I prefer both the Talos BTR and the Ares BTR reticles over the Argos BTR reticle because I like .2 mil hashes round about and many others on this site would concur. The upgraded glass is often superior to most scopes in this price range, but the combination of features, like being FFP, with matching reticle and turrets, close focus, illume, etc, are very hard to beat for the price.

BTW, most of those airgun scopes at airgun depot are SFP, moa/mil or duplex and have crappy reticles as well as being lower quality. I've had some of them, which actually do have horrific turrets!

I wouldn't say horrific by any means, unless there is something wrong with your scope, that's a big exaggeration!
I was not correct on the model, so let me clarify. I had 1 Primary Arms and 3 Athlon Optics, 2 were a Talos BTR , Riflescope , 4-14 x 44 First Focal Plane (FFP) 30mm Tube, Illuminated APLR2 MIL Reticle plus 1 (that appears to be nearly the same) a Primary Arms. Yes, the reticle on the Talos is very nice.. and the glass actually good. But, the turrets are the worst I have used and not a big exaggeration, the feel is super mushy and they didn't track all that great. For the money, it is hard to beat so we still have one for reticle holds.

I also had Athlon Optics , Ares BTR , Riflescope , 4.5-27 x 50 First Focal Plane (FFP) 30mm Tube, Illuminated APLR3 MIL Reticle, On that one the reticle is thick at max power and the glass soft, but the turret feel is WAY better than the Talos. That one has been replaced with a PST GENII.

That said the GenII PST looks much better to my eyes at 25X than the Ares BTR

I wish NF would make their 5-20 SHV in Mil/Mil....

I have the Gen II PST 5-25 on my 455 and like it a lot. The parallax will focus down to 15 yards or so, but it isn't advertized that way. I'm a huge fan of the reticle ( EBR2-C) after shooting it at 200 yards and not having to dial for elevation or wind.

I was not correct on the model, so let me clarify. I had 1 Primary Arms and 3 Athlon Optics, 2 were a Talos BTR , Riflescope , 4-14 x 44 First Focal Plane (FFP) 30mm Tube, Illuminated APLR2 MIL Reticle plus 1 (that appears to be nearly the same) a Primary Arms. Yes, the reticle on the Talos is very nice.. and the glass actually good. But, the turrets are the worst I have used and not a big exaggeration, the feel is super mushy and they didn't track all that great. For the money, it is hard to beat so we still have one for reticle holds.

I also had Athlon Optics , Ares BTR , Riflescope , 4.5-27 x 50 First Focal Plane (FFP) 30mm Tube, Illuminated APLR3 MIL Reticle, On that one the reticle is thick at max power and the glass soft, but the turret feel is WAY better than the Talos. That one has been replaced with a PST GENII.

That said the GenII PST looks much better to my eyes at 25X than the Ares BTR

The Talos BTR does have some variance from scope to scope, I've had a bunch of them, my friends have bought all but two of mine, lol, that's why I run out of scopes because they want one now.

Some of those, especially the early ones had mushy turrets, but the last ones I got were't bad at all. It's normal for them to have a little lash but that doesn't hinder me making hits.

I still have a Talos BTR on my 6mmFatRat and have made cold bore hits on steel out to 1122Y, plus a bunch more at closer distances with them mounted on other rifles. I'll just say this and leave it alone, I'd rather have these than the SWFA fixed power scopes, had 3 of those, as well as many other 2-7's, 3-9's, 4-12's, 6-18's, etc, regular scopes that were higher quailty but hugely less versatile.

I haven't had the chance to compare the Ares with the PST2 yet. I'm picky about reticles and hate the line numbers just off the vertical crosshair so that's the reason I never bought a PSTG1 and won't buy a G2. Though the few PST2's I've played with did seem like nice scopes.

Reactions: literbike