• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Mil MIl vs. MOA mil

dbutler

Private
Minuteman
Mar 23, 2009
I am sure this has been discussed many time I just don't no where to look. Appreciate an addy to set me in the right direction

Re: Mil MIl vs. MOA mil

you have it all wrong, its MOA/MOA,lol

matching turrets allways makes life easier,

but with that being said, if there is not a scope in your price range that has matching turrets, i would not worry about it, non matching turrets have been used for a long time,

If you can afford it, mil/mil or moa/moa is the way to go. If you purchase a cheaper scope with a mildot reticle that adjusts in 1/4 moa, you will have to do conversion math that would not be necessary if the two matched.

More information can be found in the FAQ's section at the top to the "Optics" page.

Sorry but I was of the impression that a Mil Dot reticule is in mils and a 1/4 in adj was in MOA

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ddb</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sorry but I was of the impression that a Mil Dot reticule is in mils and a 1/4 in adj was in MOA </div></div>

You almost had it right. A Mildot reticle is graduated in Mils. A 1/4 MOA turret is graduated in MOA. You don't see many "inch" turrets unless they are IPHY (Inch Per Hundred Yards) which are different than MOA.

What you need to keep in mind is that you want the reticle to match the turrets. If you get a scope with a Mil reticle, the turrets need to be graduated in mils.

It is, no matter which one you choose, better to have the E/W adjustments to match the reticle.
If you get a Mildot, get .1 Mil adjustments.
There are many scopes out there that have the Mildot reticle and 1/4 MOA adjustments, even expensive ones. If you are ranging with the Midots or trying to make an adjustment after a shot and the adjustments don't match the reticle you will need to do some math to convert what the mildot reticle is telling you into the 1/4 MOA adjustment.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ddb</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am sure this has been discussed many time I just don't no where to look. Appreciate an addy to set me in the right direction
</div></div>

use the search im my signature, about a billion discussions on it, or look at the top of this optics forum for the sticky OPTICS FAQs

this'll get you there also http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2031843#Post2031843 with associated links and stuff

I have the same situation on my 6-24x Bushnell 4200 Elite with the Mildot recticle and inch turrets. I just learned to do the math. A small 'cheat sheet' taped to your rifle stock, or scope, works well.