• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

m1a convert

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 29, 2003
Idaho Falls
I have heard a lot of people are using Mil/Mil scopes. I am just starting the move from KD shooting like F-class to unknown distance shooting.

I tried a search to get info but if you type in Mil you get everything. Is there anywhere I can read up on how you would use a mil/mil system? I understand the process of mil-ing and object then converting to MOA and dialing it in. I am just not sure how much dialing in mils instead of MOA affects things.

I am sure this is a brain dead question, so go easy on me.

thanks

Re: Mil/Mil

Instead of writing down your DOPE in MOA, you just write it down in Mils. Then when you determine the range is xxx number of yards you look at your chart and see xxx yards = yy Mils. Dial that and send it. If you miss, you see the splash is 0.4 Mils left, you just dial 0.4 right on your turret, fire and hit. You don't have to convert anything to MOA any more, simple as that.

I went from MOA adjustments to MIL/MIL early on in my shooting journey and havent looked back. I use a mildot reticle in my USO and the math is just easier for me to do in my head. I have 1/10 mil knobs so for example if my shot is a half a mil low, its just 5 clicks up.
I equate the debate on which is better to a Ford/Chevy kind of thing, its whatever you are used to or comfortable using. I am sure more knowledgable people here will have an opinion on this as well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AlabamaShooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I equate the debate on which is better to a Ford/Chevy kind of thing, its whatever you are used to or comfortable using. </div></div>

I would equate MOA/MOA vs Mil/Mil as a Ford/Chevy thing. Using MOA turrets with a Mil reticle is more like installing a 318 Small Block in a Camero. Sure, you can do it, but it ain't going about things the easy way.

Try searching for ballistics software progams. Many of these programs (some free) provide windage and elevation values in both MOA and Mils. This should help you correlate the two.

Also, search this site for "Formulas". There is a string in the "Range Report & Exterior Ballistics" section that will help.

I'm also a convert from Mil/MOA to Mil/Mil.

Converting is easy. If your DOPE is in true MOA, just divide by 3.438 to get your DOPE in Mils. If your DOPE is in IPHY or Shooters MOA, divide by 3.6 to get your DOPE in Mils.

I agree with you Ratbert, I was making an observation on how some people are used to MOA and wont try MIL's and same applies to the reverse. Trust me I wont be going back to MOA anytime soon.

I just made the same change and have 3 mil scopes and 1 moa , the MOA is going to be out of here
you have to forget the moa reasoning the mils are a lot simpler 1 click 1/10 of a mil there are rought ly 3 mils in 1 moa
Bill

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ratbert</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
AlabamaShooter said:
Using MOA turrets with a Mil reticle is more like installing a 318 Small Block in a Camero. Sure, you can do it, but it ain't going about things the easy way.

</div></div>

I like the analogy....good one...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ratbert</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Converting is easy. If your DOPE is in true MOA, just divide by 3.438 to get your DOPE in Mils. If your DOPE is in IPHY or Shooters MOA, divide by 3.6 to get your DOPE in Mils.</div></div>

+1