• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Mil/MOA Distance Formulas for Many Combinations

runner

Private
Minuteman
Jul 18, 2006
CT
I uploaded the equations that pretty much have all the different mil/moa/s-moa (s moa = shooters moa i.e. 1 inch at 100 yards) Range Equations that you might need for many different combinations of Reticles, Height of Target Units and Distance to Target Units.

For example, you have an "moa" reticle, and you measure the height in "inches", but because you're in the military, you need the range in meters. What Formula would you use?

You should be able to find a Formula that works for your scope and the units you want. runner

<span style="text-decoration: underline">Height of Target (yards)</span> x 1000 = Distance (yards)
mils

<span style="text-decoration: underline">Height of Target (inches)</span> x 27.78 = Distance (yards)
mils

<span style="text-decoration: underline">Height of Target (inches)</span> x 25.4 = Distance (meters)
mils

<span style="text-decoration: underline">Height of Target (meters)</span> x 1000 = Distance (meters)
mils

<span style="text-decoration: underline">Height of Target (cm)</span> x 10 = Distance (meters)
mils

<span style="text-decoration: underline">Height of Target (inches)</span> x 95.5 = Distance (yards)
moa

<span style="text-decoration: underline">Height of Target (inches)</span> x 87.32 = Distance (meters)
moa

<span style="text-decoration: underline">Height of Target (meters)</span> x 3437.75 = Distance (meters)
moa

<span style="text-decoration: underline">Height of Target (cm)</span> x 34.37 = Distance (meters)
moa

<span style="text-decoration: underline">Height of Target (inches)</span> x 100 = Distance (yards)
s- moa

<span style="text-decoration: underline">Height of Target (inches)</span> x 91.44 = Distance (meters)
s- moa

<span style="text-decoration: underline">Height of Target (meters)</span> x 3600 = Distance (meters)
s- moa

<span style="text-decoration: underline">Height of Target (cm)</span> x 36 = Distance (meters)
s- moa

Link PDF

Or, go to this website (thanks Lindy). runner

Link

Re: Distance Formulas for Many Combinations

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ritzblitz1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Awesome post. </div></div>

Awesome pic........

How estimate the size of the target in inches just by viewing through the scope???

You can't estimate the size of the target by looking through the scope, unless you already know the distance to the target.

Using a graduated reticle as a reference, you can calculate the distance to the target if you know the size, <span style="font-weight: bold">OR</span> you can calculate the size of the target if you know the distance.

You must know either the size or the distance to find the other.

oh ok i was just wondering because it had all the formulas above and its saying to times the height of target in inches to 27.78 to get the distance but what does the mils have to do below it? One thing im having trouble with is figuring out how much moa my scope adjust past 100 yard I get 1/4 moa at a hundred yards but how do I determine how much its going to move my point of impact for every click i adjust past 100... at like 200,300,400 etc. I have a leupold mark 4 LR/T with m1 knobs... and how do I convert the yardage into how many moa of adjustment i need to reach it?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">oh ok i was just wondering because it had all the formulas above and its saying to times the height of target in inches to 27.78 to get the distance but what does the mils have to do below it?</div></div>

To get the distance to the target, measure the height or width of the target using a scope graduated in mils. Then plug the value of mils into the formula to get the distance.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">One thing im having trouble with is figuring out how much moa my scope adjust past 100 yard I get 1/4 moa at a hundred yards but how do I determine how much its going to move my point of impact for every click i adjust past 100... at like 200,300,400 etc.</div></div>

If each click is 1/4 MOA at 100 yards, each click at that distance will move the point of impact 1.047. For 200 yards, multiply the click value at 100 yards by 2, by 3 for 300 yards, and so forth.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a leupold mark 4 LR/T with m1 knobs... and how do I convert the yardage into how many moa of adjustment i need to reach it?</div></div>

Each load is a little different, so you have to either go shoot the rifle at each distance - the best way - or use a ballistics program, which you can do if you know the muzzle velocity.

You might wish to go read this series of articles:

http://demigodllc.com/articles/practical-long-range-rifle-shooting-optics/

And this one:

http://www.excaliburenterprises.com/scopes/mil-dot.html

OOPS Lindy--

"If each click is <span style="color: #FF0000">1/4 </span> MOA at 100 yards, each click at that distance will move the point of impact <span style="color: #FF0000">1.047" </span> For 200 yards, multiply the click value at 100 yards by 2, by 3 for 300 yards, and so forth."

Actually, .251" per click @ 100yds.

Your welcome. Runner

Tag...Always handy to have around, thanks runner and Lindy.

-Pat

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chriso</div><div class="ubbcode-body">oh ok i was just wondering because it had all the formulas above and its saying to times the height of target in inches to 27.78 to get the distance but what does the mils have to do below it? One thing im having trouble with is figuring out how much moa my scope adjust past 100 yard I get 1/4 moa at a hundred yards but how do I determine how much its going to move my point of impact for every click i adjust past 100... at like 200,300,400 etc. I have a leupold mark 4 LR/T with m1 knobs... and how do I convert the yardage into how many moa of adjustment i need to reach it? </div></div>

Chriso,

Try this, it might help;

1 quarter of an inch at 100 yards
2 quarters of an inch at 200 yards
3 quarters of an inch at 300 yards
4 quarters of an inch at 400 yards
etc...

so at 600 yards, each click on your turret will move the bullet impact 6 quarters, or 1.5 inches.

All you have to know is the bullet drop at distance, and presto! you can dial in the correction.

try the Bryan Litz tall target test (p133 Applied Ballistics for Long Range Shooting) just to check that your scope is tracking as it should:

1 At a measured distance of 100 yds, set up a 4ft tall target, with the aim point at the bottom.
2 using a plumb bob or level, draw a vertical line from the aim point to the top of the target
3 fire a 5 shot group @ the aim point with your 100yd zero
4 Adjust the scope up 10 MOA and shoot another 5 round group
5 repeat step 4
6 repeat step 4. At this point you should be hitting 30 MOA above your aim point
7 measure the distance between the group centres and see if they are truly 10 MOA appart (10.47" @ 100yd). If not, you need to establish a correction factor for your scope.

To find out how to do that, buy Bryans' book!

I hope that this is of some use to you.

Neil

I hope this doesnt sound like a really dumb question but I have taken interest in learing the ranging formuals. When know your target is for example 12" tall and you look through your mil dot scope, what magnification or power setting should it be at? For expample a 12" tall target will give you a different height in mils at 10X as compared to 4X.

For second focal plane scopes (reticle size does not change as you zoom)

Most scopes have a mark on the adjustment ring that indicates the zoom setting that the reticle is calibrated for.

Verify that setting by up a sheet of paper at 100 yads with makings that are one mil or one moa tall (depending on what reticle you have) and adjust the zoom until it brackets the target. Note the where the zoom is set and mark it if need.

First Focal Plane(reticle size changes with the zoom. This is a non issue!