• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes mil reticle monocular/binocular recommendations?

Sylvan-Forge

Private
Minuteman
Mar 15, 2009
US
Hi!

I'm looking for something that is portable and doesn't take batteries to range with. I've found a couple military binoculars by Leupold and Steiner, and hear-tell of a monocular by IOR Valdada.

If you have any input on any of these or some other, I'd be greatful to hear about it.

Best,
Michael

Re: mil reticle monocular/binocular recommendations?

Generally the military binos with ranging reticles are setup for directing artillery, not sizing a car tire for range +/- 30yds. Even if you find one with a proper mil-dot, you're going to need some sort of tripod or other support to hold the bino's steady enough to get an accurate reading, and you'll probably want 10x or more bino's because ranging at 8x kinda sucks.

All in all it boils down to a mil-dot in binos is not as handy as it might sound at first grift.

Just got an Optolyth 10x28 w/ MP-8 reticle from Liberty Optics. Damn good glass! Only down side is beig 10x and very light weight it can be hard to hold steady. Takes some practice. Good for quick identification but if you're looking to scan for longer periods you might check into bin's.
(Not sure if Optolyth is replacing IOR or how that all works maybe Scott could clarify for you)

Thank you Ratbert and Yippeekiay.

After considering your posts, I think I'll give the Leopold Military binos a whirl. They are available with Mil-Dot and Tactical Milling reticles.

Optolyth is being imported by Valdada. It's a supplement to the IOR scopes.

We have the tactical Lupy mildot binos in stock for $525 shipped, but are out of stock on the TMR.

Scott

Sylvan, rule of thumb... if Scott stocks it you're best off buying it from him.

Let me know how they work for you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ratbert</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sylvan, rule of thumb... if Scott stocks it you're best off buying it from him.</div></div>

+1

Thanks, Scott. When do you expect the TMR to be back in stock?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Let me know how they work for you.</div></div>
If I end up with them, I'll do that.