• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Mil-Scale MPR question

bth87

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 9, 2009
Tucson, AZ
So im goint to be ordering a USO in the not to distant future and was wondering if anyone had the Mil-Scale MPR in theirs, if so could you posibly post pictures down the scope and comment as to how you like the reticle? Im just trying to decide between the Mil-Scale MPR and the Mil scale reticl.

Re: Mil-Scale MPR question

The Mil Scale MPR is much superior to the standard mil scale on many levels. Holdovers and wind holds are especially easier as you are never more than .3 mil in-between any hash mark. The versatility of the MPR is what makes it great.

I don't have a pic but I have great experience with this reticle. Any question you have I can answer.

Thanks for the insight I use holds rather than dialing for all my windage, and I really like the idea of having the ability to hold more accurately My only concern was that the reticle would could potentially be too busy.

I have it in my USO spotter. I really like it for calling shots.
DSC00789.jpg

Sorry for the fuzzy image I was taking the photo thru my window across the road. I dont think its too busy at all. I like it just as much as the MIL Scale GAP reticle in my scope.
Plus I think Mike only likes it because its got his initials in it!
wink.gif

Not at all, I have the MPR in my USO also. Easier for me on hold overs, and wind holds, and specially easy and precise on ranging since the hash lines allows you to have exact measurement of 0.1~1.0 mil readings when you combine them in different ways.

Do a search, there are at least 3~4 through the scope pictures on Hide with this reticle. PM me if you really can't find it, I will email you some.

The MPR reticle offers you the maximum amount of aiming points w/o doing it by 0.1 mils at a time.

From the center
and so on

By positioning the reticle about you can accurately subtend all measurements in 1/10th mil EXCEPT 0.1 and 0.9. These are easily overcome by fitting between any of the 0.2 spaced hashes.

If I can help you with your purchase feel free to give me a shout.

Cheers,

Doc

For 0.1, I use the line width, and 0.9 I place it right between 0.8 and 1.0
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ewoaf</div><div class="ubbcode-body">it is the shit hands down.......
</div></div>

I concur. For the reasons pointed out my many, I think its the best balance of all the info one would need without too much info.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ewoaf</div><div class="ubbcode-body">isn't line thickness .1 doc? if it is then the only one left out is .9 </div></div>

Nah, if it was 0.1 MIL it would be frikking HUGE!!! You are close though, it's 0.1 MOA
laugh.gif
I'll let you do the math
grin.gif

Cheers,

Doc

Thanks a ton for all the info this reticle seems to be the way to go.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: doc76251</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ewoaf</div><div class="ubbcode-body">isn't line thickness .1 doc? if it is then the only one left out is .9 </div></div>

Nah, if it was 0.1 MIL it would be frikking HUGE!!! You are close though, it's 0.1 MOA
laugh.gif
I'll let you do the math
grin.gif

Cheers,

Doc </div></div>

0.02something something mils.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: doc76251</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The MPR reticle offers you the maximum amount of aiming points w/o doing it by 0.1 mils at a time.

From the center
and so on

By positioning the reticle about you can accurately subtend all measurements in 1/10th mil EXCEPT 0.1 and 0.9. These are easily overcome by fitting between any of the 0.2 spaced hashes.

If I can help you with your purchase feel free to give me a shout.

Cheers,

Doc </div></div>

Doc,

I hear guys criticizing the MPR because they claim it alternates between 0.2 and 0.3 mil graduations. It that really true, or is it simply a matter of not realizing that the sub-tensions are actually 1/4 mil values;

From the center
<span style="color: #FF0000">0.75</span>
<span style="color: #FF0000">1.25</span>
<span style="color: #FF0000">1.75</span>
and so on

In other words, did USO simply "round up" when they spec'ed the graduations, or did they really design it to alternate between 0.2 and 0.3 mils.

I think my brain would like this reticle better if I knew it was simply a GAP reticle that was sub-divided one more time.

Its designed as Doc posted so that you have a solid .2 and .3 measurements available.

Its easy to see and understand when you use it. Its not a GAP and not trying to be.

f740ac47.jpg

A picture is worth a 1000 words and Sober has provided it.

Glock24, I have the actual tech drawing which is essentially the one posted above with a WHOLE LOT more info on it. I can assure you there is NO rounding on the MPR reticle and those hash marks are not .25 mil anything.

Cheers,

Doc

OK - I'm going to revive this old topic here - I recenty took delivery on a new SN-3 TPAL 3-17 with a MPR and it appears substantially thicker than the one pictured above. The one above looks just like the MRP on the 2007 moddel ERGO that I sold to finance it. I'll post up picture later but I am very dissappointed.

In my experience USO reticle thickness has a good deal of variability in it. This is not surprising given the chemical etching process that produces an etched reticle. A little more time and the reticle is thick, a little less and its thin (a lot more time and it is thick and uneven but I have only seen this on March scopes not USO). Someone once told me that if your looking for a particularly thin or thick reticle that you can request it when the scope is being built and they will look through the bin and pick you out what you want. Not particularly helpful information now. Sorry to hear that it's not to your liking.

does this reticle get unusable at 3.2x? The through the scope pictures show the reticle being extremely faint at the lowest power. I am looking at getting the SN3 3.2-17x44 and it will be on a custom R700 for ranges from 50 to 1000m.

Thanks

does this reticle get unusable at 3.2x? The through the scope pictures show the reticle being extremely faint at the lowest power. I am looking at getting the SN3 3.2-17x44 and it will be on a custom R700 for ranges from 50 to 1000m.

Thanks

Is it unusable? As a crosshair, no. If you're going to try and mil with it, probably.

Thanks Mike. I guess that if i was going to mil something I would zoom in a little anyway to get as precise as possible. I was just wondering how defined and usable the 1mil marks were at the low mags for fast hold overs. I am trying to decide between the Mil-Scale MPR and the Mil-Scale GAP.