• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Mil-spec ATACRs no illum

Midnight_90

Private
Minuteman
Jul 17, 2023
Houston,TX
Good afternoon all,

I was doing some reading on the SOCOM mil-spec ATACRs and noticed that they opted out of having illuminated reticles for their mid range variable optics. Is there any reason for this? I'd think that SOCOM is primarily doing a lot of low light work and would utilize an illuminated reticle for that. Sure they have clip on thermals and NV but why add the weight when you can take a shot with illum at low light before it's completely dark. Would love to hear your guy's opinions. Thanks!

I swear I read somewhere that the 4-20 and the 7-25 were not illuminated. I'm trying to find the article.
And nope, don't have any clip ons lol, but a guy can dream.

That is correct. Most military sniper scopes are not illuminated. We have the 7-35 mil SOCOM scope that comes with the Mk22 and it has no illumination. I am told there are two reasons: 1) a battery is another failure point, and the military seeks to have failure points. 2) night shots normally include night vision.

That is correct. Most military sniper scopes are not illuminated. We have the 7-35 mil SOCOM scope that comes with the Mk22 and it has no illumination. I am told there are two reasons: 1) a battery is another failure point, and the military seeks to have failure points. 2) night shots normally include night vision.
Gotcha, I was contemplating if illumination was necessary, seems like the military doesn't have it just to reduce issue, plus they already have clip ons. But for us who have to front our own equipment, illumination seems needed.

Reactions: Sagewind