• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

mil. spec. brass

hombre

Team S.W.A.G
Minuteman
Oct 22, 2008
ga, jackson lake
just wondering how you deprime brass that has the crimp. I know its a newb question but I wasn't paying attention and busted the pin in my die. thought to myself huh, replaced it and did it again. Then I gave myself the dumbass award and then I decided to check out the case because they were gave to me. Its the first time I have had any mil. spec. anyway.

Thanks for your help in advance
Brandon

Re: mil. spec. brass

Check to make sure they are not berdan primed,meaning that there is two small holes instead of one hole leading to the primer, which is boxer primer.

Next getting the Lee universal decapper.
It is the best way to deprime crimped brass, I found anyways.

Well, I just checked and the ones that are crimped have the two holes. So I take it that you just trash those.

You could save them for annealing practice or make them into dummy rounds for dry firing practice.

Thanks for the info. thats what I need to hear. Now might be the time to learn how to anneal som brass,I am a pipefitter and have all of the little map gas torches I want. I'll have to check out some post on it.

Thanks
Brandon

I thought I remember my gunsmith telling me about somebody making a setup to prime berdan primers??

Also even if they are boxer primed, military, you will still need a Dillon swagger, I think.

A buddy at work said his father used some sort of deprimer that scooped out the primer from the outside.

Also he would drill out the case to provide a straight hole to the inside ( ala boxer ) not sure if it's really worth the trouble when boxer brass is still mostly available.

Dillon doesn't do Berdan. Ice pick type remover (RCBS) makes one, or hydraulic, with a punch and water. Both slow as Christmas. Hombre...don't use MAPP. Way too hot too quickly. You'll over anneal or burn the brass. Use propane and in a dark room. When you see the dull red glow, water quench it...drop it in a pail. JMHO

I bought a Redding Decapping die from Sinclair and bang, the first case I attempted to decap bent the center pin. $14.00 and some change for a new pin plus postage and bang the next case bent the center pin. there is no center spring or way to center the decaping pin. I went back to the old 30.06 heavy duty Punchpin and hammer. No problems now.

Formal Navy Person, I have a map gas head that is double headed and is in the shape of a "c" and I aneal copper just about every day. I have about 20 pcs to practice on. My question is do you put the brass back into you tumbler to clean up after you just made it softer. Another question is do you aneal after every load because when you fire it it goes back to being hard again correct.

Thanks for all the help
Brandon

I tumble before and after annealing.
The rate at which the necks work harden will vary with the size of the chamber, the bigger the chamber the more the necks will expand and need to be resized.
I anneal every 4-5 firings, but some shooters like benchrest ,anneal every time for consistantcy.
The necks don't necessarily fully harden after the first firing, it's a cumulative thing.

Thanks Wirehand, I will get everything together and take some before and after pics. I'll start a new thread as it might take me a few days to get everything going

Once again thanks for all the great help
Brandon

Your main issue sounds like you are barking up the wrong tree for reloadable brass.
As far as depringing crimped brass, I am in the process of doing 1000 pcs of .223. I am using set of Lee reloading dies. They do a great job, and if you come across a tough one it just pushes the primer removal pin up in the collet, no permanent damage. I also tested them for run out, and they were within 1 thousanth.
I am also using the RCBS Sweging die to get rid of the crimp. With it properly set up I have had nothing but good luck.
I hope this helps.
SScott