• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes Mil vs moa on atacr

Scorcoran

Private
Minuteman
Feb 4, 2014
I'm new to this sport I am going to purchase a nf atacr I have never used any scope before and I will be taking a class on shooting long range my question is to get mil or moa and why

Most are going to tell you to go MIL, I like MOA cause its what I learned on and has always worked for me. If you don't know anything about either one just pick and learn. The important thing is to get matching reticle and turret no matter what you choose, makes life a whole lot easier.

New to the sport, also so take this with a grain of salt.

It's hard to tell what are permanent changes and what's cyclical but the trend is definitely going towards mil/mil for the foreseeable future. That means that it will just make life easier to find more scopes in mil/mil in the future and streamline training if your buddies or trainers are shooting mil also.

Where mil is not as popular is more bench rest style comps where they want finer adjustments than .36" for .1 mil at 100 yards.

Last edited:
Check with people you may be shooting with and see what they run. You should go with that so everybody is speaking apples to apples. There are about 6-8 of us in a group that shoot together often and we just happen to all use MOA.

Your going to like the ATACR. I've got the MOA model on my new 6.5 x 47 build and it's impressed me.
I went MOA as I have always used moa and I shoot 95% of the time at known distances, as well as use a range finder.

NO denying mil is the preferred system for the guys who shoot tactical matches with unknown distances.

the ATACR with the MilR reticle is amazing and there is no better between mil and moa its just whatever you want to learn. I started with MOA and all my buddies were shooting MIL and after awhile I got tired of converting everything so I switched over . Good Luck

JW

To each their own, personally I like the MOA Turrets and ret i always found the math easier to do. But as long as your charts match the knobs and ret, there is no real difference. It's when you scope is mil ret and your charts are MOA , then it's a pain in the ass for no reason.

I shoot both and I am fine with either. If you have friends that shoot, it wont hurt to match them. Neither will make you hit or miss or misrange at all. As long as your reticle is the same as your turrets you will be fine.

I started out with Mil/MOA and still shoot some like that.
Then I went full tilt and was always MOA. Did fine.
Little over a year ago I bought a few mil/mil scopes and love them too.

I will go out on a limb though and tell you that if your gonna shoot all by yourself and it would just be a coin toss, I say mil. But sometimes I let the reticle decide.

NF has a MOA reticle in their new 2.5-10 that I like better than the MIL version. So, if reticles are equal to you, pick what your friends have, if still alone go mil. You will be fine either way. Good luck

Can someone clear this up for me. I thought the ATCAR was moa and the beast was mil version as in matching turret and reticule

ATACR is SFP and the Beast is FFP- but the beast has a few more features. The ATACR is more or less just like the NXS but with 34mm tube and improved glass