• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes MIL vs MOA scope

Capt Academy

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 27, 2010
ABQ, New Mexico
I am sure this may have been covered in the past, but my search did not produce any relevant info on the subject, so I apologize in advance if this has been covered in detail. Also, if it has, maybe someone could post the link.

My question is as follows: I've noticed that the majority of PRS Shooters prefer using the Mil system in their scopes as opposed to MOA. I am currently an MOA shooter and plan on purchasing another scope. Currently, all my scopes, Leupold Mk 4's and NF, NSX's are MOA, but I plan on shooting the PRS Series this year and was wondering if I should jump over to the Mil system, is it more accurate than using MOA? What are the advantages of Mil over MOA?

Thank you in advance for any advice and suggestions.

Not more accurate. Just a different measurement of angles. Mil is smaller numbers, easier math in the head for knuckle draggers like me. Around 90% of practical shooters use Mil-radian as it is easy to call corrections for your buddies. That would be my only reason to change over, But a good one.

I proficient shooter can use either without issue.

+1 It doesn't matter if you use a scope that has adjustments in milliradians or minutes of angle. What DOES matter is that your reticle subtensions measure in the same units as your windage and elevation adjustments.

Do NOT get a scope with a mil dot reticle and with MOA W/E adjustments.

There are several manufacturers with scopes that have MOA reticles. Get one of those if you want to stay with the MOA system.

+1 It doesn't matter if you use a scope that has adjustments in milliradians or minutes of angle. What DOES matter is that your reticle subtensions measure in the same units as your windage and elevation adjustments.

Do NOT get a scope with a mil dot reticle and with MOA W/E adjustments.

There are several manufacturers with scopes that have MOA reticles. Get one of those if you want to stay with the MOA system.

There have been a lot of matches won and bad guys shot with MOA W/E adjustments and a mil dot reticle. Its all in what you are used to shooting. I do however agree that there are advantages to a mil / mil system. I wouldn't insist that this kind of a setup is a mistake.

I think the trend currently seems to be moving to Mil but that could easily change at some point too. I learned on shooting mil and others learned on shooting MOA. I think most people just prefer what they learned using or at least that has been my experience. I've never understood why some manufacturers use mil reticles and moa turrets, just makes no sense to me.

Great info, I am going to get the new Vortex Gen 2 scope and was wondering if I should switch to mils and if so , would it be a difficult transition, or would I be better off staying with MOA.

No difference in accuracy but you do need to know which system you have with MOA. There is true MOA scopes (Nightforce)...1.047 inches at 100 yards...and IPHY scopes (Leupold)...1 inch per 100 yards. This can make a difference, albeit very small, at longer ranges. Also 1/4 MOA is a smaller unit of measurement than .1 mil (the standard adjustments for most scopes), however most rifle systems/shooters can't shoot good enough to justify that as a reason to use MOA.

If you're going to be shooting in a tactical competition it would be hard to argue against the mil system. This is what most are using so calling misses or getting DOPE from other shooters will make things easier.

As has been mentioned, matching turret and reticle make things much easier. If you can spot your miss you can make a quick measurement/adjustment using your reticle and send another (no math required).

Last edited: