• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Mil Zero but Range in Yards

TEzNJ

Private
Minuteman
Jan 27, 2022
Hawaii
Has anyone zerodd a mil reticle to 100 meters at a 100-yard range. The ranges I have access to are in yards and don't live in a place where I can set my own target out since I live in an urban area. Any idea what the rough mil holdover is x mils low or x mils high when zeroing for a 100 meter zero at 100 yards? Hopefully this makes sense, thanks.

-Z

Has anyone zerodd a mil reticle to 100 meters at a 100-yard range. The ranges I have access to are in yards and don't live in a place where I can set my own target out since I live in an urban area. Any idea what the rough mil holdover is x mils low or x mils high when zeroing for a 100 meter zero at 100 yards? Hopefully this makes sense, thanks.

-Z
109.36 yards = 100 meters.
1 MIL at 100 meters = 10 centimetres = 3.94"
So, if you were to draw a line exactly 10 cm in length on a target, when that line is the same length as the distance between any 2 MIL points on the reticle, that will be near enough to 100 meters.
So to answer your Q, about 0.9 Mils will be close enough to 100 Yrds if you want to estimate the distance.
As far as zero goes, a Mil is a Mil at whatever distance just the same as 1 MOA is 1MOA at any distance. They are both angular measurements which remain constant but transpose varying lengths depending on the distance against which you view them.

Last edited:
If you set up your rifle in a ballistic calculator with a zero distance of 100 yards, you can punch in the target distance (110 yards) and it will tell you what your hold will be.

To answer your other question. A .1 mil hold at 100 yards is about 1/3 of an inch. Its .36 inches on target at 100 yards if your trying to zero your scope.

Shouldn't matter. I've zeroed at 100 yards, 102 yards, 89 yards, etc. As long as it's noted in my calculator and DOPE is verified you're good. You don't need to zero in meters.

1 MIL = Distance /1,000 FYI. Doesn't matter what linear measurement you use. Meters, yards, inches, centimeters, etc.

Why zero in meters? If you use yards then zero in yards. Nothing about mils means you have to use metric. I have used mils for decades and never thought about meters.

Reactions: TheOtherAndrew
Linear means dick all. Scope adjusts in angular. Doesn’t matter what one click is in linear.

If you really like centimeters as a measuring unit yea its another base 10 thing.

I buy mRad scopes only because of the base 10 part specifically and it keeps turret a lot less cluttered IMO.

But I still measure distance in yards, my groups/target size in either inches or MOA, because its so easy to correlate with distance to target. (and thats why yards works easier for me)

If youre proficient in the metric system as a whole, none of this matters. Its all about shortcuts to the exact same result since as Rob said [its all angular].

And honestly my backyard makes 106yd the range I have to zero at, I can add 106 to ballistic solver but the answers are so close in supersonic range that its insignificant - what would matter more is your gun systems precision capability, your capability, and exactly what your POA/POI offsets are at your zero distance.

And here we go!!!
06A59FF7-12B9-4F7E-AB03-B7F91F2F5F7A.gif

Reactions: Rob01
Thanks, everybody. It all makes sense now lol. I'm zeroing in yards lol, not doing anything fancy with the zero to convert to a 100-meter zero.:)

I live in Finland, so it is a bit different here, the meters vs yards, than it is in US.
I use inch only on making size differenze on suppressors.

ptv.donut writed quite well.
Shouldn't matter. I've zeroed at 100 yards, 102 yards, 89 yards, etc. As long as it's noted in my calculator and DOPE is verified you're good. You don't need to zero in meters.
But for me, as a using meters and millimeters as all day every day, i use to set my scopes zero at 100-meters, i would say 95% rifle scope owners do that in Finland, only the big game hunters do it for 75-meters, and for sure AR-15 guys are the gategory of it own, but normally it is 100-meters.
Also because mainly all the shooting ranges has this 100-meter range, but also has this so called moose track, and that is 75-meters.

Last edited: