• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Mild AR .223 loads

tuckybill

Private
Minuteman
Oct 16, 2007
Kentucky
I have 4 new neighbors across the highway and would like to know what is a good load for my 18" rifle gas .223 AR that would take a bit off the report but still function. Can't find very much at all about mild AR friendly loads. Everyone is pushing them to the max. Would a 20" barrel give me more dwell time for the lower pressured gases to work the bolt? I actually have some H4895. Looking for a load that is 221 fireball power but functions in a AR. I can use a lightweight bolt/buffer if that would help.

No matter how light you make the buffer and spring, you will not reduce the report by any noticeable amount with a load that will cycle. You could use subsonics. You could get a suppressor. A reduced load will do nothing for you.

Reactions: mtrmn
I have 4 new neighbors across the highway and would like to know what is a good load for my 18" rifle gas .223 AR that would take a bit off the report but still function. Can't find very much at all about mild AR friendly loads. Everyone is pushing them to the max. Would a 20" barrel give me more dwell time for the lower pressured gases to work the bolt? I actually have some H4895. Looking for a load that is 221 fireball power but functions in a AR. I can use a lightweight bolt/buffer if that would help.
A 20 inch barrel should give you more velocity, but to reduce report go down to a lighter bullet , that also means going to a fast burning powder. My recommendation is to start with a 50 Gr with some H322