• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Photos Mild Steel Target and Reticle

Recko555

Private
Minuteman
Sep 20, 2009
Iowa
I made a couple steel targets out of mild steel thinking that my 20 Practical AR wouldn't do too much damage. I was wrong.
Also a through scope picture of the target.

Re: Mild Steel Target and Reticle

yea my AR will do a number on some steel. We found some plates that they anchor railroad tracks to. We figured they'd make great targets since they prolly 3/8-1/2 thick. Well they would've except the bullets rip right through em like paper.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oneswithfunes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thats not hanging on a soccer goal is it? </div></div>

looks like a saw horse, or a version of...

Velocity kills steel, even AR500. The light little 20 cal bullets arrive fast enough to leave little gouges in the AR400 plate @ 100y from my 204 Ruger, yet my 30-06 going 1000 fps slower and 5x's the bullet mass doesn't do a bit of damage.

No it isn't a soccer goal, but it is a saw horse type design. Cheap and simple.

better steel and thicker is the way to go, I have good results with 3/4 plate carbon hardened steel. might cost a bit more then standard grades but it will stand up to more punishment

Just buy some AR500 steel targets from one of the hide vendors. 3/8" is just fine for just about any cartridge. Shooting mild steel can be dangerous at close ranges. It tends to ricochet if it doesn't penetrate the steel.

Yeah, my AR500 from Osuarchitect works fine with .223. The only thing I've had a small dent in it is from a .25-06 100 gr at 200 yards; it sent my wooden stand flying back in the grass.

Recko...Send me a PM and I'll make you a deal on a 6" or 25% IPSC out of our waterjetcut AR500.

Shooting mild steel is dangerous with rifles, and in most cases pistols as well. I've heard too many stories and seen to many scars from rifles/pistols and mild steel. It is too soft and does not allow the bullet to fully fragment. When the steel forms pockets and the bullet does not fragment the left over pieces can come right back at you.

25% IPSC ordered from osuarchitect.