• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Mild steel targets

Hagen

Private
Minuteman
Mar 7, 2017
Indiana
Was wondering how far out was safe using targets made of 3/8 mild steel plate. I have a few ar 500 targets but the local steel place doesn't want to order any of it. I was planning to use them past 800. The biggest gun that might be shot at it would be a 308, but mainly just a 6.5 creedmoor.

Thanks
Hagen

Our range is mild steel 1/2" plates from 400-1300 . Guys have been beating on them with big magnums for some time now . They are 1 MOA diameter, I'm not sure they have the mass to fully absorb the power of the bullets, maybe that's why they've lasted as long as they have .

That is what I am wanting to make, some 1 moa targets for the different yardages. How are they suspended? Are they just hanging on chains? Thanks for the response.

You can ask for wear plate in 1/4 or 3/8 thickness and they may be willing to get that for you. It's hardened plate like Ar500, but probably 400 brinnell rated instead of 500.. I pick up scraps of Weller 400 at work, and they are plenty tough, no divots or holes with a .260 as close as 400 yards with the 1/4" stuff I have.

With the AR 500 Plate, the sound rings out real nice with an impact, especially if you hang with chain as opposed to a more solid mount. Mild steel is more of just a thud, will crater, and is heavier. 1/4" AR 500 works fine, even with 338LM.

If you hand your targets on chains, you are sure to shoot the chain. I used to use chain, now I use really heavy rubber about 4" wide, like old tire retreads. Or just buy some really thick rubber. The big draw back is cutting the stuff. I used a table saw, likely ruined the blade. Certainly smelled the place up.

Thanks for the responses. A buddy of mine has access to some mild steel scrap plates. They are 12 inch diameter and an inch thick. Will probably weld some bolts to the backs of them to hang them off of. Kinda like the tire hanger idea, can get plenty of rubber. Local farmer punches the side walls out to hold down tarps over his silage. Just throws the tread section away.

1 inch mild steel will last forever at those ranges with those calibers. Just don't expect any ring when hit at all.

If you hand your targets on chains, you are sure to shoot the chain. I used to use chain, now I use really heavy rubber about 4" wide, like old tire retreads. Or just buy some really thick rubber. The big draw back is cutting the stuff. I used a table saw, likely ruined the blade. Certainly smelled the place up.

I like the JC Steel slotted hook hanger since my shots find chain too. A band saw is good for cutting rubber.