• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Mildot Master vs. Aguilar System?

Gnab2

Private
Minuteman
Oct 10, 2007
Central Texas
I am looking at the two tools and I would like your input on the two systems. What are the Pros and Cons to each the Mildot Master system and the Aguilar System? I have zero idea omn this one. I am new to these things..

Thanks
Gnab2

Re: Mildot Master vs. Aguilar System?

Just go with the Mildot Master, it's more user friendly, fast and easy to use with a little practice, and multi-functional, since you can also use the MDM to figure out your slope dope. I don't think I've ever seen, or heard of, anyone using the Sniper Flashcards though, to me it seems like a less accurate means of determining range.

Everybody should have a MilDot Master, it will work with any of the 3 systems(Mils, MOA, IPHY) and is very cost effective.

From the Aguilar System web page:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Aguilar System for Medium Range Sniping only works for targets of 44”, 72”, 76”, 80” and 84”.</div></div>

If you only shoot at UKD targets with those dimensions, at medium distances, then perhaps the Aguilar System is useful.

Otherwise, as the others said, get a Mildot Master.

Some other points to consider with the purchase of a Mil-Dot Master:

• No batteries required
• Extremely versatile
• Does not require too much math in public
• Man portable
• Pretty damn durable, will not break when you drop it on the concrete
• Makes for a handy straight edge when drawing field sketches or range cards
• Can even be used to pop your partner on the back of the head when they screw up
• Provides a hard surface backing in your notebook when recording data
• Can be used to scrape ice off a windshield
• Can be used as small and not real efficient man powered fan on those hot days
• Will shade your eyes when looking for that far off target
• Can be employed to scratch your back if need be
• Works for determining angle to target without having to be permanently affixed to your rifle, spotting scope.
• Metric or good ole standard measurements
• Multiple solutions for same size targets can be recorded simultaneously as in building a range card with like items within your field of view
• Eliminates several pages of data sheets in the data book
• It subscribes to the KISS rule, and one of my other criteria for field use gear - "if it has glass, tits, or batteries it will fail you when you need it most"
• and comes in a tacticool tan color

Some of the above is for comic relief but I can attest to having used it for all the above.
I have run a Mil-Dot Master for over 10 years now and my only regret is not coming up with this great piece of kit on my own. I have tried several different systems based on the same slide rule concept to include ones that are a two part wheel, to fold out data cards, and this is by far the most effective means to get accurate dope on my scope. Take the time to read the instruction book that comes with it and practice using it and I would be willing to bet you don't leave home without it.

Money well spent.

Hope all this helps and if I can be of any assistance feel free to drop me a line.

Danel

The only thing I would add to Danel's excellent exposition is that it can be used with reticles based on MOA, Inches Per Hundred Yards, Milliradians, and any other graduation system a scope maker can think of.

I need some clarification. You said it can be used with MOA scopes. Can you explain further?

In the right-hand window of the Mildot Master, the left scale is marked in MOA. The right scale is marked in milliradians. The slide is marked in inches. Just line the target size in inches on the slide up with the image size in MOA.

Read the distance to the target in the left-hand window opposite the "Target Range" arrow.

Mildot master is as vital as good ammo for your rifle. Everyone should have one in there kit.

We have them in stock in our tools section if you need one.

+1 for the MilDot Master being an esential piece of equipment. Pair that up with the FDAC(provided there is a card for your bullet) and you will be very well set up for shooting.

In the end they are both somewhat outdated. These were fundimental basic skills used by long range shooters.

This was essential when laser range finders wer expensive and rare. No with LRF being abundant and fairly cheap these basic shooting skills have went to the wayside.

With matches testing your range estimation skills and that it is a essential skill still taught to military and law enforcement snipers. The Mildot Master helps support this training. It is quick easy and a cheap tool that works.

In addition I hold wind in MILS and not MOA so with the cards givig me MOA wind holds i am wasting time converting as well.

You can knit pick both tools if you really want to.

Like I said find the tool that works for you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NOMAD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This was essential when laser range finders wer expensive and rare. No with LRF being abundant and fairly cheap these basic shooting skills have went to the wayside.</div></div>

Sorry if this is a stupid question, and a bit off topic, but can a lrf be picked up by an ir camera?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Keyser Söze</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NOMAD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This was essential when laser range finders wer expensive and rare. No with LRF being abundant and fairly cheap these basic shooting skills have went to the wayside.</div></div>

Sorry if this is a stupid question, and a bit off topic, but can a lrf be picked up by an ir camera? </div></div>

Yup, especially the ones on the black helicopters with no markings that always seem to be just out of sight......

So are you paranoid or a poacher?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Keyser Söze</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NOMAD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This was essential when laser range finders wer expensive and rare. No with LRF being abundant and fairly cheap these basic shooting skills have went to the wayside.</div></div>

Sorry if this is a stupid question, and a bit off topic, but can a lrf be picked up by an ir camera? </div></div>

Yup, especially the ones on the black helicopters with no markings that always seem to be just out of sight......

So are you paranoid or a poacher? </div></div>

Haha!

No, just curious, because Nomad said both the mildot and flash card systems were outdated because of lrf these days. So I was just wondering. Seems if you use a lrf, and are hit with a rocket two seconds later because you were seen on ir cameras, (which I assume most sides in combat these days have) then they can't be that outdated. Kind of the "whats old is new again" thing...

Oh, and how did you know about those black helicopters following me around? You must be part of their conspiracy!

*looks over shoulder and out window*

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Keyser Söze</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

*looks over shoulder and out window*

</div></div>

You haven't been paranoid 'til you've used a straw to peep through the blinds.

I'd imagine if you were in a position to be rocketed if your LRF gave sign you'd be pretty clear on the fieldcraft involved.
I think NOMAD's referring more to all us guys that go shooting on weekends.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EventHorizon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wouldn't the Field Density Altitude Compensator be a better option that both the MM and Aguiler System?

</div></div>

That is for calculating drop and drift based on atmospheric conditions effect on your baseline load. It does not replace the MM's range calculation functions but rather augments it to a complete analog fire solution computer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: platypus</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Some other points to consider with the purchase of a Mil-Dot Master:

• No batteries required
• Extremely versatile
• Does not require too much math in public
• Man portable
• Pretty damn durable, will not break when you drop it on the concrete
• Makes for a handy straight edge when drawing field sketches or range cards
• Can even be used to pop your partner on the back of the head when they screw up
• Provides a hard surface backing in your notebook when recording data
• Can be used to scrape ice off a windshield
• Can be used as small and not real efficient man powered fan on those hot days
• Will shade your eyes when looking for that far off target
• Can be employed to scratch your back if need be
• Works for determining angle to target without having to be permanently affixed to your rifle, spotting scope.
• Metric or good ole standard measurements
• Multiple solutions for same size targets can be recorded simultaneously as in building a range card with like items within your field of view
• Eliminates several pages of data sheets in the data book
• It subscribes to the KISS rule, and one of my other criteria for field use gear - "if it has glass, tits, or batteries it will fail you when you need it most"
• and comes in a tacticool tan color

Some of the above is for comic relief but I can attest to having used it for all the above.
I have run a Mil-Dot Master for over 10 years now and my only regret is not coming up with this great piece of kit on my own. I have tried several different systems based on the same slide rule concept to include ones that are a two part wheel, to fold out data cards, and this is by far the most effective means to get accurate dope on my scope. Take the time to read the instruction book that comes with it and practice using it and I would be willing to bet you don't leave home without it.

Money well spent.

Hope all this helps and if I can be of any assistance feel free to drop me a line.

Danel
</div></div>

I know this thread is old but since it was resurrected I have to say this is one of the funniest posts I've read here in a while. Actually spit Gatorade all over my keyboard. All of those situations being legitimately feasible with a MDM only adds to the comedic value. Well done.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ratbert</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EventHorizon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wouldn't the Field Density Altitude Compensator be a better option that both the MM and Aguiler System?
</div></div>

That is for calculating drop and drift based on atmospheric conditions effect on your baseline load. It does not replace the MM's range calculation functions but rather augments it to a complete analog fire solution computer.
</div></div>

Thank you!