• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

MILES system for civvies?

BigBrother

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 27, 2007
New England
Hey all- this is a question born out of an interesting roadtrip my friend and I took for a shooting event this past weekend.

I know very little about the simulation world (I hear the occasional rants about airsofters, but that's about it). I was talking with my friend and we got to wondering whether a full MILES-style setup, with full recoil, real mag capacities, etc., exists in the civilian world. Not real weapons, but close simulations. Do you know if anyone sells or plays a form of MILES that actually simulates the real deal?

Thanks,
BB

Re: MILES system for civvies?

BB,

Just a side note, I train LE, Mil and Civis. I used MILES gear in my military days and was never impressed with it. It served a purpose for training/evaluating large groups. From my experience I would suggest you go the airsoft route. There are several LE agencies/academies and Mil units using airsoft. Just understand the limitations and don't treat them like toys.

Your training benefits from setting realistic goals and practicing specific tactics. Airsoft is a good tool if used properly.

Interesting. Thanks guys. At a practical level, unfortunately, this poster on AR summed it up pretty well:

"I tried airsoft and while the rifles felt good (dBoys imparticular was nearly identical to my real AR-15 (m4 style) in weight and details), but the crowd I had to play with ruined it. A bunch of teen mall ninjas and young adults pretending to be tough guys, playing on renegade fields, trespassing, smoking pot between games, drinking and what not. Not exactly the situation you want to find yourself in when the police show up due to call about guys in camo with guns.

Also, I found it very unrealistic due to the close range, quiet rifles, and the fact that each magazine held 150 - 500 rounds and these kids were carrying 16 of them. Naturally one team all had radios, and the rest were stuck with the mall ninja kids and no radios... games did not last long but it sure stroked their egos.

Sold the airsoft crap and decided I would take a carbine course or pistol course instead... "

He pretty much hits it on the head for me. Considering I'd be doing this as much for enjoyment as for any real world value, this would be a serious impediment.

Yes, I agree. But given how over committed I am to other endeavors, I was hoping I could find *something* already in existence I could join. With about 5 hobbies running in parallel right now, spearheading a new one from scratch ain't high on my list of priorities. Now, if true recoil, mags, and flat trajectories could be had (MILES-esque), the leader would likely emerge
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigBrother</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sold the airsoft crap and decided I would take a carbine course or pistol course instead...</div></div>
Sounds like you're on track then.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigBrother</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Now, if true recoil, mags, and flat trajectories could be had (MILES-esque), the leader would likely emerge
wink.gif
</div></div>
Simunitions.