• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Military 147gr and 152gr bullets???

WileyG

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 24, 2009
Alabama
I have some 147gr and 152gr Lake City surplus rounds in 7.62. Was wondering if anybody on here loads these bullets(either pulled or from loose surplus stock) and if so what load and how accurate are they? Kicking around the idea of putting some thru my 700 5R....If so I'd likely pull the bullet and load it in new Lapus brass over Varget.....What say y'all?

Re: Military 147gr and 152gr bullets???

You'll want to clean the asphaltic resin off the bullets. In my rifles they do about a 1 3/4th inch at a hundred yards.

Why bother pulling down surplus ammo and loading the inaccurate bullets over varget in match cases?

I agree with glock63.
Good bullets for a FAL or other .308 auto-loader but really not worth all the effort in a precision rifle.
They're cheap and usually have marginal accuracy IMO.

These are machine gun bullets. Don't worry about loading them for accuracy. Have fun and shoot them up though.

I know they're machinegun bullets.....they are still linked for an M60. I've shot some as they are thru my AR10 and the 147gr were surprisingly accurate @ 200yds. The 152gr AP wasn't as accurate. Occasionally a wierd combination can produce surprising results and that's why I wondered about loading a few in high end brass over real good powder. Thanks for the input....that is all.

It's a waste of brass and Varget, just get a jug of surplus WC844 or WC846 and load up some plinker ammo. The powder is surprisingly consistent, but a bit on the temp sensitive side. FWIW, if you're just using it as plinking ammo, it will still shoot a good solid distance and you can always use the first couple rounds over a chrono to get an idea of what the temp is doing to your MV that day.

Makes for much cheaper trips to the range.

I've got a bunch of pulled 147s. I load them for my Garand and M1A for plinking. Works great, minute of pie plate.

It's like taking a Porsche out for a spin in the school parking lot. I'm just saying....