• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Suppressors Military and the 1911

CST

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 31, 2002
Md
I understand what a great gun the 1911 and the .45acp is...but why would specific branches in the military have a meusoc1911 type?? I guess I would rather have a .40cal or something else so I can have the capacity...8+1 vs. 15++..

it seems every major gun manufacturer has put out some type of "govt.contract submission model" and all are just a little dressed in color .45s...The only high cap .45 I've seen so far is the FNP45 military for example.

Re: Military and the 1911

The military is restricted to FMJ ammo only, so there is a general desire to use the heaviest and largest diameter bullet possible. This is unlike us, who can choose expanding bullets and so other factors can drive our decisions.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I understand what a great gun the 1911 and the .45acp is...but why would specific branches in the military have a meusoc1911 type??</div></div>

Prior experience?

Anytime folks ask "why" the 1911 I like to show'em this:

*BAKER, THOMAS A.

Rank and organization: Sergeant, U.S. Army, Company A, 105th Infantry, 27th Infantry Division. Place and date: Saipan, Mariana Islands, 19 June to 7 July 1944. Entered service at: Troy, N.Y. Birth: Troy, N.Y. G.O. No.: 35, 9 May 1945. Citation: For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty at Saipan, Mariana Islands, 19 June to 7 July 1944. When his entire company was held up by fire from automatic weapons and small-arms fire from strongly fortified enemy positions that commanded the view of the company, Sgt. (then Pvt.) Baker voluntarily took a bazooka and dashed alone to within 100 yards of the enemy. Through heavy rifle and machinegun fire that was directed at him by the enemy, he knocked out the strong point, enabling his company to assault the ridge. Some days later while his company advanced across the open field flanked with obstructions and places of concealment for the enemy, Sgt. Baker again voluntarily took up a position in the rear to protect the company against surprise attack and came upon 2 heavily fortified enemy pockets manned by 2 officers and 10 enlisted men which had been bypassed. Without regard for such superior numbers, he unhesitatingly attacked and killed all of them. Five hundred yards farther, he discovered 6 men of the enemy who had concealed themselves behind our lines and destroyed all of them. On 7 July 1944, the perimeter of which Sgt. Baker was a part was attacked from 3 sides by from 3,000 to 5,000 Japanese. During the early stages of this attack, Sgt. Baker was seriously wounded but he insisted on remaining in the line and fired at the enemy at ranges sometimes as close as 5 yards until his ammunition ran out. Without ammunition and with his own weapon battered to uselessness from hand-to-hand combat, he was carried about 50 yards to the rear by a comrade, who was then himself wounded. At this point Sgt. Baker refused to be moved any farther stating that he preferred to be left to die rather than risk the lives of any more of his friends. A short time later, at his request, he was placed in a sitting position against a small tree . Another comrade, withdrawing, offered assistance. Sgt. Baker refused, insisting that he be left alone and be given a soldier's pistol with its remaining 8 rounds of ammunition. When last seen alive, Sgt. Baker was propped against a tree, pistol in hand, calmly facing the foe. Later Sgt. Baker's body was found in the same position, gun empty, with 8 Japanese lying dead before him. His deeds were in keeping with the highest traditions of the U.S. Army."

I wonder what the body count might have been had he had more than the one magazine in the 1911? I wonder if he'd been alive when his buddies got back to him?

This is from http://www.history.army.mil/html/moh/wwII-a-f.html

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CST</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...the only high cap .45 I've seen so far is the FNP45 military for example. </div></div>

Para Ordnance is one of the companies offering M1911 .45ACP capacity above 7+1.

Glock and some others offer similarly larger capacities for .45ACP but not in M1911 configuration.

CST needs to understand that the .40S&W is a very recent development.

Military organizations are by nature very conservative and slow to embrace innovation.

Go back and review US experience BEFORE WWII in the Philippines that led to the development of the .45ACP in the first place.

Limited to ball ammo, nothing compares to the .45.

Additionally, in Military use, the sidearm is secondary, unlike police use, where a long arm is secondary.

Remember, a pistol is for when you don't expect trouble.If you expect trouble and didn't bring a long arm, you're a fool.

As was told to the man with no name,"when a man with a pistol meets a man with a Winchester, the man with the pistol is a dead man".