• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Military Packs for Hunting?

Pbailey

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 27, 2011
Oregon
Was looking really hard at Badlands and other assorted packs for the upcoming deer season, and then I got to thinking (dangerous, I know) how would a military surplus pack hold up for packing in and staying for a night or two, and hopefully packing meat out?

Seems like it should be fine but I have searched multiple forums and couldn't find too much info on it. The packs I am looking at are the new Molle systems and the 2nd Generation marpat ILBE. Both can be bought used on ebay for about $100

Here are a couple links.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/USMC-MARPAT-ILBE...=item35bfe6f5eb

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Digital-ACU-US-A...=item337bd51d5f

What do you think?

Re: Military Packs for Hunting?

Buy the USMC pack. It will carry much better than the Badlands packs and the build quality will be significantly better.

If your looking at Badlands, check out Eberlestock packs before you make your decision. I was also looking at new packs before last hunting season. Was thinking about a military pack as well. After doing my homework I ended up buying a Eberlestock pack. I really like it. Its worth a look.

Kifaru, makes excellent packs as well. I have the long hunter with the gun bearer system.

The only bummer with those packs, is that I believe they are a little out of my price range. I would really like to keep it under $200, but I will admit I have not done any looking for a used pack, so I guess it could be possible.

If you will consider a pack that can do it all, take a look @ eberlestock, specifically the G4 operator... carries almost everything I need for every season.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Patrick Bailey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The only bummer with those packs, is that I believe they are a little out of my price range. I would really like to keep it under $200, but I will admit I have not done any looking for a used pack, so I guess it could be possible. </div></div>

Sometimes Camofire.com has the badlands 2200 at a good price. You may want a bigger pack but if not you could call them and ask if they had any. They will hook you up if they do.

Of those two, the USMC would be my choice. It does have lots of straps and such that add weight, snag on tree limbs and such for a field use pack. Good price!!! Problem is, does it fit you or your body type. Like boots, packs are not a one brand/name fit all and that is what gets thrown at those ask. You may also need a good or qualified pack fitter to adj the pack to fit your body. The deal is, to get a pack that fits you out of the plastic so it requires min adjustment.

I would say you can buy it, use it, learn what you actually need, sell it and still get about what you paid for it and buy something better. Or, it may turn out to be the ideal pack. Or, ask questions, look around, and buy a pack.

What terrain? flat or off trail, steep, slick, trees, brush
What weather?
How many miles do you plan to pack in?
How many days? one or two maybe not a huge issue
How much weight do you plan to carry? game meat and no game meat, do really need a full frame, game frame, giant tent, sleeping bag, fleece and military wool or high speed lgt synthetics and down

Good luck

I use a Blackhawk S.T.R.I.K.E. Cyclone Hydration Pack I picked up at cheaperthandirt.com holds every thing I need for a few days out on a hunt