• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Military shooting qualification question

Prairie Dog Dundee

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 20, 2002
Utah
Just curious. With all the Aimpoints, ACOGs and other optics being used in the various branches of the military has it changed the way one qualifies for Marksman, Sharpshooter or expert?
Do troops use optics in qualification?

Re: Military shooting qualification question

Thanks for the link KillShot. Some good information once you get by the obnoxious stuff.

For those who qualify with optics in AIT do they have the same 40 round and same distance requirements?

When I went through Infantry OSUT in 04, we qualified on iron sights with the standard 40 rounds. We didn't "Earn" our M68 (Aimpoint) until after qualification.

Just went with my unit to qualify back in November and it was still iron sights. We actually took all our optics off to do it. So much for my zero. On a side note I have Multiple tours in both AO's and I have never been more fearful for my life than on a range with pilots.
grin.gif

we qualified with both... the standard irons qual was what went in the file, but everyone in my unit qualified with a CCO and an ACOG too

my unit alternates quals- one will be w optics, next will be w irons. Same standards. Standards only change when shooting paper, and even then it's still the same with or without optics.