• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Military surplus 40x--What's it worth?

Downzero

-
Minuteman
  • Oct 15, 2006
    NM
    I came across a used 40x today at the store. It had a stock that was rather flat on the bottom kinda like my McMillan A5. It was marked US Property and I would call it a heavy barrel, but I'm not familiar with them. It had target sights like a highpower match rifle would have.

What are these things worth? I suspect that it's worth more than they're asking. It was a nice rifle that I wouldn't mind having for myself, but I don't want to pay too much for it.

What do the gurus think?

Re: Military surplus 40x--What's it worth?

They have been runnign about 950 in the classifieds . I think the fellas name is Don in SC or something like that and he always has a few of these for sale it seems like .

Downzero there's two styles of Gov' 40X rifles with a few variations in the markings. A standard barrel rifle will have a a 28" tapered barrel that looks like a 700 Sendero profile. It's basicly a long varmit taper. This is a true "40X" and will not have any letters in the serial number. The other style is called a heavy barrel 40X and is really the "40XB" action. This rifle has a slight taper that ends at 28" inches with a muzzle of .875. The rifle will say 40X and the serial number will include a letter "B". The standard rifle with sights should be 850 to 1050 based on condition. A heavy barrel will cost more as there are less of them. A heavy gun will run 950 t0 1150 with sights, again based on condition. The stock should be a reddest color walnut and oil finish. It may well be so dry as to have no finish but a good quality Tung oil will fix it up. If it's been sanded and refinished deduct 100 bucks. The metal should be blue period. If it's been parked then it has been through a rebuild and deduct 100 to 200 if the park job is a good one. All 40x rifles had scope blocks for a Unertl as well as the sight blocks for the Redfield aperature sights. The orignal aperature sights are Olympic front and rear. Later International and Palma's are replacements but are better quality so that offsets the cost to collectors. If the scope blocks are missing then deduct 70 bucks. Check the bore for a shadow. I've seen many of the CMP rifles that have had a squip shot and then another live round shot behind it and the bore would be ringed on the inside. It shows up as a shadow on the inside as the barrel is so thick there is no indication on the out side. The military issued cheap ammo and there's really no recoil with these rifles so if your not counting hits it's not hard to do. Also if there's a dark ring just about 1/2 to one inch forward of the chamber in the rifling this could just be a carbon ring and will clean out with some elbow grease and a brush or a long soak with Kroil. Any price below the above prices would be excellent buy. Oh, if the trigger or bolt are gummed up with old oil/grease have them clean it and make sure it shoots. Also check the S/N on the bottom of the bolt and the side of the receiver. Many of these have had the bolts swapped out with other guns but you need to know if the rifle will head space if the numbers do not match.

Donald

LoneWolfUSMC all 40X 22's are short actions. I think all center fires are also for that matter. I cant remember Remington making a long action but the custom shop may have.

It appears that what I found was a Remington model 513T. If anyone has a source that can identify the value I may go pick it up.

It was marked US Property for sure. I may go back and have another look at it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It appears that what I found was a Remington model 513T. If anyone has a source that can identify the value I may go pick it up.

It was marked US Property for sure. I may go back and have another look at it. </div></div>

I bought a used Rem513T for $150 recently, but it is blued (not parkerized) and does not have "US Property" markings, for which I would have paid a little more...

Yep, just checked again and it's a Remington 513T Targetmaster. Asking price was $560, which has to be at least twice what it was worth.

Nothing to see here folks, move along...

Although the Redfield rear sight was pretty cool.

I'm sure it's a cool gun, just not a $600 cool gun.

For about 6 bills you can get a Kimber Governtment model from CMP that's new!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The us marked 513's are known to be in the 600 range because of the military collectable thing. Most are parkerized metal, but ther have been blue us marked also.

The CMP Kimber is worth 600 and currently available.

The range for a non us property marked 513 is as low as 150 for a scruff and 600 for a as new. A pristine 513T will not shoot as well as the Kimber no matter what you do to the 513. The 513 triggers can be worked but they are still substandard and the bolts on heavy used ones are known to hang up and are a little cheesy regardless of condition. You can get parts for the 513's, but why bother unless you got more time than money. If you can get the 513 in the 300 range and its in good condition go for it.

I have had many 513's over the years. I still own one now that my son shoots. They will group well, but are not at the standard of the kimber and miles away from the 40x's in accuracy and quality.

Good luck with what ever you buy!

The CMP Kimbers are worth every dime. When I was a starting out in Army Procurement I bought these guns. I have both a CMP and a Civilian. Again, these are amazingt.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Darkstar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The us marked 513's are known to be in the 600 range because of the military collectable thing. Most are parkerized metal, but ther have been blue us marked also.

The range for a non us property marked 513 is as low as 150 for a scruff and 600 for a as new. A pristine 513T will not shoot as well as the Kimber no matter what you do to the 513. The 513 triggers can be worked but they are still substandard and the bolts on heavy used ones are known to hang up and are a little cheesy regardless of condition. You can get parts for the 513's, but why bother unless you got more time than money. If you can get the 513 in the 300 range and its in good condition go for it.

I have had many 513's over the years. I still own one now that my son shoots. They will group well, but are not at the standard of the kimber and miles away from the 40x's in accuracy and quality.</div></div>

Good info

The cmp currently has Kimber rifles is .22 cal new in the box but marked as rusty due to old grease and preservative problems, they have a accessories and are currently priced at 400.00

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Don in SC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">LoneWolfUSMC all 40X 22's are short actions. I think all center fires are also for that matter. I cant remember Remington making a long action but the custom shop may have. </div></div>

Don, when I replied I failed to see that it was in the "Rimfire" section.

As for what a .22LR 40X or 40XB is worth....that's easy. It's worth what the seller is asking and the buyer is willing to pay.

I paid $400 for my US 40XB but I wouldn't take $800 for it now even after my strip/refinish job. As the years go by I am sure their price will continue to climb unless Remington starts cranking them out in volume. Even then I have a feeling the original US marked 40XB's will hold some value since they are a piece of history.

That is the one thing that has prevented me from having the barrel cut on mine or making any irreversible changes. They stock was pretty ugly when I got it though. Looked like a beaver had been chewing on it so refinishing it did not diminish the value.