• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Military traditions/heritage

LuckyDuck

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Nov 4, 2020
    Pennsylvania
    I thought this might be an interesting conversation. The US military (USA/USAF/USN/USMC) all have very rich traditions and depending on their job might have some special allowances not afforded to other branches in the same service.

To start the discussion off- I was a Cavalry Scout in another life. We had some traditions with our 'Stetsons' which for everyone else is the "cowboy hat" you might recall. Whelp- there's some variance on in the Cavalry branch on who is 'authorized' to wear a Stetson (it's not an official US Army headgear) but there is a nuance to the 'cord' around that hat. Typical enlisted will have a Cavalry Stetson with a gold colored "hat band" ending with 'acorns' on either end of the cord. One of the 'honors' is the way that cord is 'looped' in the front in what is called a 'combat knot' in the Cavalry (a distinction which is supposed to be 'earned'). Officers will have a similar band but their's are a 'black & gold color' with the 'combat knots' following the same rules.

Should there be an Infantry component attached to a CAV troop- they'd be identified by a blue cord and again- 'combat knots' being something needing to be 'earned'.

It may come across as silly here in 2024 but one of the most revered Cavalry traditions that bucks Army uniform regulations is the addition of 'spurs'. As I understand it- this tradition goes back 200 years or so because it comes to horsemanship and for a young Cavalry trooper- the addition of spurs to their boots would only exacerbate their mastery of riding their horse. Additionally, the metal required to produce spurs was rather expensive about 200 years ago and to prioritize which cavalrymen would be provided spurs was dependent on them demonstrating their abilities in that profession.

Fast forward to modern day. The spur tradition still carries on in the US Cavalry but is broken down into two categories. First off- there's 'gold' spurs (which are typically made of brass). To 'earn' those spurs, there's some variance, but typically it mirrors the same requirements of performing Cavalry duties and engaging the 'enemey' the same way that the infantry earns their 'CIB'.

The other type/color of spurs is silver, and those are earned by completing what's called a 'spur ride'. This also has some semblance to what the infantry has for their 'EIB' requirements. In my case, we had a mortar platoon (11C) that went through a partially shared effort during my Spur Ride. I completed/satisfied the requirements for both but was only authorized to wear silver spurs as the EIB was only allowed to be worn by the 11 series MOS's regardless if we met or exceeded the requirements.

So I've got the Stetson w/ 'combat knots', earned my gold spurs during deployment and afterwards was one of the select few to complete the spur ride earning the silver spurs and also meeting the EIB requirements too.

Anyone else have similar stories?

-LD

I always looked forward to the annual “you drink too much, stop beating your wives, don’t commit suicide, piss in this cup, btw we are have two drills next month briefings”. That was a December tradition for 20 years.

Reactions: Ranchhand
    Blue cord and "true blue" EIB. True blue really wasn't a thing when I got my EIB as you didn't get to retest officially but some ring knockers out of my class got to.

Handed the first EM to salute me after I was pinned as a 2LT a silver dollar .

I hated dining ins but one time we had a guest speaker named Jefferson Le Blanc. I didn't know anything about him before that night. It was a privilege to speak with him.

Reactions: 232593
    I thought this might be an interesting conversation. The US military (USA/USAF/USN/USMC) all have very rich traditions and depending on their job might have some special allowances not afforded to other branches in the same service.

To start the discussion off- I was a Cavalry Scout in another life. We had some traditions with our 'Stetsons' which for everyone else is the "cowboy hat" you might recall. Whelp- there's some variance on in the Cavalry branch on who is 'authorized' to wear a Stetson (it's not an official US Army headgear) but there is a nuance to the 'cord' around that hat. Typical enlisted will have a Cavalry Stetson with a gold colored "hat band" ending with 'acorns' on either end of the cord. One of the 'honors' is the way that cord is 'looped' in the front in what is called a 'combat knot' in the Cavalry (a distinction which is supposed to be 'earned'). Officers will have a similar band but their's are a 'black & gold color' with the 'combat knots' following the same rules.

Should there be an Infantry component attached to a CAV troop- they'd be identified by a blue cord and again- 'combat knots' being something needing to be 'earned'.

It may come across as silly here in 2024 but one of the most revered Cavalry traditions that bucks Army uniform regulations is the addition of 'spurs'. As I understand it- this tradition goes back 200 years or so because it comes to horsemanship and for a young Cavalry trooper- the addition of spurs to their boots would only exacerbate their mastery of riding their horse. Additionally, the metal required to produce spurs was rather expensive about 200 years ago and to prioritize which cavalrymen would be provided spurs was dependent on them demonstrating their abilities in that profession.

Fast forward to modern day. The spur tradition still carries on in the US Cavalry but is broken down into two categories. First off- there's 'gold' spurs (which are typically made of brass). To 'earn' those spurs, there's some variance, but typically it mirrors the same requirements of performing Cavalry duties and engaging the 'enemey' the same way that the infantry earns their 'CIB'.

The other type/color of spurs is silver, and those are earned by completing what's called a 'spur ride'. This also has some semblance to what the infantry has for their 'EIB' requirements. In my case, we had a mortar platoon (11C) that went through a partially shared effort during my Spur Ride. I completed/satisfied the requirements for both but was only authorized to wear silver spurs as the EIB was only allowed to be worn by the 11 series MOS's regardless if we met or exceeded the requirements.

So I've got the Stetson w/ 'combat knots', earned my gold spurs during deployment and afterwards was one of the select few to complete the spur ride earning the silver spurs and also meeting the EIB requirements too.

Anyone else have similar stories?

-LD

When did you go to basic troop?

Mustache March is a tribute to Col. Robin Olds of the USAF. One of the finest fighter pilots the Air Force has ever had.

Mustaches are grown out past the AFREG limits of the corners of the the mouth, to almost a Fu-man-Chu length. Major commands do not condone this, and Squadron Commanders will call you on it, especially if they are not fighter pilots. But the mustaches still grow.

March 31st they all come off.

What unit/s were you with?
    That's getting a bit more specific than I'd like to publicly disclose. I'll share one story though for you- we were sneaking down a canal to do God's work one evening and a CLP went through and absolutely lit us up with 240's and M2's. All we could do was hump the canal wall until the rain of lead ended.

-LD

We had a tradition in Special Forces of not giving a damn and doing whatever we wanted. DOL!

hands.jpg

me redacted.png

• Haha
    Reactions: LuckyDuck
    I would wear these foreign jump wings on my dress blues.
    1715890898466.png

Before SF, I commanded an Engineer Company at Ft Campbell. I scheduled a special Rappel Master class with the Air Assault School for myself and all of my Platoon Leaders. I later made this badge and wore it on my Dress Blues.
    air assault rappel master.jpg

I'm pretty sure that no one in the Air Force knows the second verse of the Air Force song. Very few know the USAF birthday. In 27 years active and guard we had cake on the AF birthday in Iraq, hard, dry, previously frozen until crumbling dry cake. It was the one single time it was acknowledged in any official way during my entire career.

I served with the Army, Marines and Coast Guard at different times and all had various traditions and ways of pushing their history and esprit de corps. The USAF is a different animal. It's corporate and indifferent at best. The entire deployment mentality is like a pick up sports game.

At the height of the surge(2007) I had to sit in a presentation by a worthless one-star general who was intensely pround of refusing all ground support, not dropping a single bomb in six weeks and he wanted to pullout of Baghdad, stop flying in the Army and sit at Balad until it was over. They were giving flying assholes Air Medals for flying racetracks over Balad waiting for the Maadi Army to send up its Migs.

I will say the USAF is extremely good at shipping random people from all over the world to a specific location, forming a "composite wing" and making it work. Unlike other services, the Air Force has no particular concern for sending a complete unit to a war as a unit.

And it's extremely anti-gun. When my commander recieved a commendation letter from the Chief of the National Guard Bureau congratulating me for winning a national event, he shredded it in front of me. He considered it a threat to his safety. His words. Then he threatened to non retain me if it happened again or I tried to miss work for competitive shooting. My best bud deployed a year before me, his unit commander disarmed everyone and said he'd rather Iraqis killed them than anyone had an accident with a gun.

The one AF tradition I like best is the 1st day of the month. My retirement check deposits. 😃

In a completely unrelated accomplishment I have earned an Expert shooting rate in the Army, USMC, Air Force, Navy, Coast Guard and Norwegian military. That's pretty damned cool to me.

Last edited:
    I'm pretty sure that no one in the Air Force knows the second verse of the Air Force song. Very few know the USAF birthday. In 27 years active and guard we had cake on the AF birthday in Iraq, hard, dry, previously frozen until crumbling dry cake. It was the one single time it was acknowledged in any official way during my entire career.

I served with the Army, Marines and Coast Guard at different times and all had various traditions and ways of pushing their history and esprit de corps. The USAF is a different animal. It's corporate and indifferent at best. The entire deployment mentality is like a pick up sports game.

At the height of the surge(2007) I had to sit in a presentation by a worthless one-star general who was intensely pround of refusing all ground support, not dropping a single bomb in six weeks and he wanted to pullout of Baghdad, stop flying in the Army and sit at Balad until it was over. They were giving flying assholes Air Medals for flying racetracks over Balad waiting for the Maadi Army to send up its Migs.

I will say the USAF is extremely good at shipping random people from all over the world to a specific location, forming a "composite wing" and making it work. Unlike other services, the Air Force has no particular concern for sending a complete unit to a war as a unit.

And it's extremely anti-gun. When my commander recieved a commendation letter from the Chief of the National Guard Bureau congratulating me for winning a national event, he shredded it in front of me. He considered it a threat to his safety. His words. Then he threatened to non retain me if it happened again or I tried to miss work for competitive shooting. My best bud deployed a year before me, his unit commander disarmed everyone and said he'd rather Iraqis killed them than anyone had an accident with a gun.

The one AF tradition I like best is the 1st day of the month. My retirement check deposits. 😃

In a completely unrelated accomplishment I have earned an Expert shooting rate in the Army, USMC, Air Force, Navy, Coast Guard and Norwegian military. That's pretty damned cool to me.
    Gotta agree with the AF assessment. I recall addressing the troops when we first deployed to Diego Garcia (November 2001) they were all hooping and hollering... I had to remind them why we were there, the seriousness of what their role was and we weren't going to be on the news or anyone writing a book about us so forget about "glory". We did have over 5000 consecutive on time take offs by the time I left though.

Buying a 10 year old car at 25% interest, and/or marrying a stripper after knowing them for 2 weeks are greatest of military traditions.
    I remember the barracks hoes well. Girls so desperate they'd screw an E2 in hopes he'd marry them. Eventually they would find that guy... then the other guys in the barracks: "yeah, I had her too..."

That's getting a bit more specific than I'd like to publicly disclose. I'll share one story though for you- we were sneaking down a canal to do God's work one evening and a CLP went through and absolutely lit us up with 240's and M2's. All we could do was hump the canal wall until the rain of lead ended.

-LD
    PX cowboy.

The answer to all financial issues as a PVT-LCpl is to get married.
    It worked for my son in law. (Was LCpl with 1 Div at the time) Daughter was not a barracks roach though. She was finishing senior year at UNR.

Last edited:
    • Love
    Reactions: uncle_smokey

-LD
    They lit y’all up with crew served and no one was hit?

Interesting blue on blue incident.

During our EOD graduation ceremony, this 04 was giving us his “Go and make us proud” speech. He paused in the middle of the speech and said, “It fucking reeks in here, how much did you people drink last night?”. Then he continued on with his speech like nothing ever happened.

• Haha
    Reactions: oneshot86
    They lit y’all up with crew served and no one was hit?

Interesting blue on blue incident.
    It's the internet so I'm not sure if you're genuinely interested or calling me out as a liar.

But yes- that happened. To give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that you're actually interested- this was a time when ECP's were staffed by tankers and MI's. The CLP's at the time had cooks (and other such MOS's) thrown in as gunners. So when one got spooked, they fired off their crew serve and most of the other folks followed suit and disregarded their assigned lanes of fire being eager to "join in".

In all fairness, I don't have a good story to share about what "we" did afterwards, just that once we saw the CLP coming through while we were walking along a canal and the trasers started flying our way, our squad jumped into said canal quickly to get out of the line of fire. Shamelessly I humped that ground like it was my new wife while the guy with the radio ringed our HQ to get in touch with whatever command was operating the CLP in the area that moment to relay that they were shooting at friendlies.

Call me a liar if you want- but that's how it went down. I didn't do anything of note during such time other than hump some earth while waiting on the "radioman" to get them to stop shooting at us. CLP's btw- didn't stop as part of the strategy employed at the time. They just kept rolling and blasted at what they determined needing blasted at.

-LD