• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Milled ops inc collar?

Mandango39

Private
Minuteman
Dec 27, 2023
Kentucky
I found a photo of a bolt gun on Reddit and I absolutely must do something similar. It was a 16” bolt gun, threaded and milled to accept the otter creek ocm5. My issue is (actually several)…

1) source for 22 arc barrel
2) diameter barrel would have to be to mill the collar on it?
3) what issues am I not seeing?

Thanks for any help you guys can add. I’d post the photo, but didn’t know how you guys would feel about posting other peoples photos on here.

More than that. You need the step on the collar to be a certain distance from the muzzle.

The best answer is a custom-made barrel from Compass Lake. You can choose Bartlein, Douglas or Criterion blanks. They contour our Mk12 barrels, so they will know what an SPR profile is. The second choice is White Oak barrels. We have purchased and used their SPR contours, so I can vouch for their work. They use a lesser-quality blank, but it is still very good. It used to be Shillen, but I think they moved to Rock Creek (?).

The differences in barrel blank quality when you are shopping with a custom barrel shop is very small, especially with a gas gun, where, you will not likely get 1/2 MOA consistently anyways. So, either shop that can source the 22 ARC, and just ask for SPR profile. From memory, the step on the barrel is 2-1/2" back from the muzzle, and this is where most barrel shops get it wrong, including most of the name-brand barrels that you would be familiar with. We do a custom cut, to pull back the shelf by less than 1/2" to get the contour correct to accept the collar.

More than that. You need the step on the collar to be a certain distance from the muzzle.

The best answer is a custom-made barrel from Compass Lake. You can choose Bartlein, Douglas or Criterion blanks. They contour our Mk12 barrels, so they will know what an SPR profile is. The second choice is White Oak barrels. We have purchased and used their SPR contours, so I can vouch for their work. They use a lesser-quality blank, but it is still very good. It used to be Shillen, but I think they moved to Rock Creek (?).

The differences in barrel blank quality when you are shopping with a custom barrel shop is very small, especially with a gas gun, where, you will not likely get 1/2 MOA consistently anyways. So, either shop that can source the 22 ARC, and just ask for SPR profile. From memory, the step on the barrel is 2-1/2" back from the muzzle, and this is where most barrel shops get it wrong, including most of the name-brand barrels that you would be familiar with. We do a custom cut, to pull back the shelf by less than 1/2" to get the contour correct to accept the collar.
I’m doing this for a bolt gun.

And I’m not wanting to make the barrel accept the collar, I’m wanting to have the collar milled into the barrel.

And I’m not wanting to make the barrel accept the collar, I’m wanting to have the collar milled into the barrel.
It’s a shame Ron turned over everything to the new Allen Engineering folks, they don’t have the prints up. What you ACKSHUALLY want is your barrel turned to AE30 specs, with the taper machined into the barrel. No collar at all so the can threads onto the AEMB and abuts the taper to locate itself. I did this with my 6mm ARC.

IMG_5950.jpeg

Reactions: Xcount
20231223_142409.jpg

It's mine. Get ahold of Ryan and he'll do an awesome job.

Last edited:
Reactions: Charger442
There’s prints out there in the ether, this is a gap#7 profile barrel, it had plenty of meat beyond the taper. My cans are original ops inc though, may verify the newer cans are same specs as the old ops inc cans, I have no clue
IMG_9952.jpeg

Reactions: TheOE800
View attachment 8307065

It's mine. Get ahold of Ryan and he'll do an awesome job.
You’re the guy that’s about to cost me a lot of money!!! I seen this on Reddit and was aroused.

You’re the guy that’s about to cost me a lot of money!!! I seen this on Reddit and was aroused.
As far as your questions go.
1: I have no idea on the 22 arc barrels if you are looking for pre-fit. Ryan does chamber barrels but IDK if he has a 22 arc reamer.
2: According to most prints I've seen .920" is the minimum diameter you need where the taper starts.
3: No issues for me yet

As far as your questions go.
1: I have no idea on the 22 arc barrels if you are looking for pre-fit. Ryan does chamber barrels but IDK if he has a 22 arc reamer.
2: According to most prints I've seen .920" is the minimum diameter you need where the taper starts.
3: No issues for me yet
920 is perfect. I can make that work!

What’s your rifle weigh if you don’t mind me asking?