• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Millet DMS-1

DMack

1SG
Minuteman
Nov 15, 2006
FL
Greetings:

I would like to share some first hand information on the Millet DMS-1 optic. This is a 24mm tube style, 1-4 power optic, with a "Donut Dot" type reticle.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/186660/...t-reticle-matte

It is designed to be used with a 50 yard zero, and I got my hands on one about six weeks ago to test. I wanted to get some time behind it, before I started a thread to share my experience.

First off, Millet is now owned by Bushnell. When that happened, I don't know. I just know that I got this from my Bushnell contact, because I was looking for a very dependable, LOW COST optic, that I could demo for patrol officers / deputies that had to come out of pocket for glass.

What it is:

Well, it's a fairly fast, intuitive reticle, designed for arms length distance, out to engagement ranges that Law Enforcement will face, and then some. It does have a illuminated reticle... but, this is not something I would write home about. The battery life is not all that great, and I tend to have to use it on the brightest setting (11) to pick up the reticle in low light... it's useless in daylight.

However, the reticle is etched very well, and shows up even in twighlight with zero issues. The eye relief is narrow, so you have to be mounted on the rifle to pick up the eye relief, but once you have your index points (nose to charging handle for me) you can find the reticle with zero issues.

The glass is SUPRISINGLY CLEAR. I mean, SUPRISINGLY. Is it comparable to the SWFA SS 1-4? No. But, you can buy four of these for one of the SWFA 1-4's.

So, moving on. I zeroed it at 50 yards about six weeks ago... Battle Axe was with me that day. I then, put it in my drag bag, drug it around, threw it in his truck, bounced it around that afternoon, and before leaving the range, I confirmed zero. It held. It held WELL.

I then decided that I would throw it in my Jeep, every single day. I put my rifle in my Eberlestock X3 bag, and put it in my Jeep every morning, and took it out every night. I took the upper off the rifle that it is mounted on, and used it on other rifles. I would move the upper back and forth many times over the last six weeks.

During a carbine class last week, I was able to shoot it again. It held zero. It held zero WELL.

I gave the rifle to one of my staff members that does not shoot a carbine often. Once he picked up the eye relief index, he was using the carbine during "up" drills, at 25 yards and in, stacking rounds with it. He shot from baricade, defilade, and unorthodox shooting positions. He was hitting targets very well, and with comparible speed to the other students using EOTech / Aimpoint sights.

Today, I took the rifle out to our long range, and ran it. I verified zero at 50 yards, and it was spot on. I then made five consecutive hits on steel at 400 yards, five back to back hits on steel at 500 yards, and then first round / five rounds back to back on pop up targets at 600 yards.

The holds I used were SWAG, but intuitive. I had zero issues engaging targets from point blank out to 600 yards with this optic.

I used it in an Observation Class last week, and we did some parking lot surveillance at distances of up to 300 yards, with the subject illuminated by street light. I was able to make out ID features with this optic, using the ambient street light.

So, to say I am impressed with it, is an understatement.

It has a nice intuitive reticle, holds it zero well, and has good clarity for it's price.

I would not hesitate to recommend it to brothers and sisters of the badge. I would, however, recommend that they spend the money and mount it with a quality mount. I have mine in a 30mm American Defense "Recon" mount... and it is rock solid.

Now, as I said, this is a LOW PRICE POINT optic, that just plain works. Is it a precision optic? No. Is it designed to be? No. Are there better optics (glass wise)? Yes. But, dollar for dollar, the GEN 2 Millet DMS-1 gets two thumbs up from me.

Pics to follow...

Cheers!

DMack

Re: Millet DMS-1

To add... the center "dot" is supposed to be 1 MOA on 4 power at 100 yards. I verified that it is in fact 1 MOA on 4 power at 100 yards.

Great going Millet / Bushnell on this affordable optic!

Cheers,

DMack

Welcome to 2007. http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_18/326527_Millet_DMS_1.html

In all seriousness, it's not a bad hobby or light-duty gaming optic. I had one and I liked the reticle a lot. But it had a 5 MOA zero shift going from 1x to 4x. I sent it back and got a replacement, which had a 3 MOA zero shift. That was enough for me. I'm fairly surprised you would recommend it for duty use. I certainly wouldn't use it for home defense.

This is not 2007. I've had this for six weeks and its working well. I can only report on my own experiences. Mine holds zero and holds well. Your mileage may vary. I am not gentle with it, and my opinion may change with time. However, it is working for me way better than I expected.

I mounted this optic on my PWS MK114 last night, and will be shooting again today. I will do a few groups at 50 and 100 to see if I can replicate a POI shift. Like all equipment, you must train with it to build confidence and competence. If it shits the bed, I will say so.

I can't speak for any of the older models. When this one was sent to me, I was IMMEDIATELY skeptical. I had one criteria and one only. It HAD to hold zero with routine NORMAL use. I will not drop it repeatedly, I will not throw it, I will not dunk it in my pool for an hour (it's not watertight)... but, I will use it like I do my Patrol Rig.

I will shoot it. I will shoot it a lot. I will also report my findings accurately and unbiased. As of now, I am very impressed with it for what they cost.

This one is a GEN 2 (Dial for Illumination is on the left side), and I know this one was made in 2011. When, I don't know.

More to follow... I brought my camera today.

Cheers!

DMack

Subscribing to see how it continues to hold up for you. I've always been somewhat of a fan of Millett's tactical scopes. I know they are by no means top tier optics but I've had several TRS-1's and a couple DMS scopes. I've never had any problems with any of them. I still have one TRS that's on my deer rifle and it takes some abuse during deer season and has never let me down. The DMS that I still have is on my 16" Armalite AR-10 and has seen a few hundred rounds with no problems. I have been contemplating putting on my M4 duty rifle because I want a variable power optic that can work for CQB but I am also one of 2 snipers on the team so if I happen to have the M4 in my hand if/when a precision shot is needed I want to be able to dial up some magnification. I have been hesitant to put it on there cause there is a big difference in trusting a scope to shoot a deer and trusting a scope to save/take a life so I am very interested in your results.

Tagged for future reference. How are the adjustments, dialing up/down magnification, etc?

I've never really dialed up and down with mine after zeroing it at 100 yds so I can't comment on how it tracks. The clicks are audible one mine but they're not very tactile. That doesn't concern me much on this scope because if I put on my M4 for duty use I would zero it at 50 yards and leave it as I don't foresee myself engaging past 100 yards with that rifle and in reality 99% of engagements with it would be much less than 50 yards. To my eyes the glass is pretty good but I will admit that I am not that great at being able to tell the difference in one piece of glass from another, unless of course one of them is pure shit.

Ok, here's an update. I shot today with this optic... I shot it A LOT. In fact, I have put over 600 rounds behind this optic in the past two days.

Today, I took it out of my bag, and zeroed it on the PWS MK114. The movement (tracking) of the turrets had the rounds in and zeroed as indicated. They are 1/2 MOA @ 100 yards, so I estimated 4 clicks for one inch at 50 yards... and it was exactly what I needed to get the group zeroed.

I shot from all sorts of angles and positions, and the optic worked. I put the rifle in my bag, and tossed it in the Ranger Side by Side and bounced it around to service targets. Then, later, verified that the zero was still good.

I even did a test to see if I could replicate zero shift, as indicated by the above poster. I shot a group at 4 power, then moved to another target, shot a group at 1 power. Zero shift in elevation or windage... but, the group did open up a bit, to be expected.

This is NOT a precision optic, but the 1 MOA dot does allow precise shot placement out to 100 yards, and beyond. I had no issues making head shots at 150 yards, and could get on steel out to 400 yards with intuitive holds.

I have yet to see a problem with this optic, over what I have already discussed.

This is not designed to "dial" data changes, for the reticle is not calibrated, and the optic is not designed to do so. Zero at 50 yards, expect to be about one and a half inches high at 100 yards, and back on track at about 200 yards. Steel at 400 was a bit tricky, because I was holding at the bottom of the circle... but, once I sent a few and got splash, I was hitting consistently.

Shooting Military POP UP targets today proved easy at 550 yards, and 650 yards, once I got my holds correct.

All in all, I like this optic. NO... it's not perfect. But, I would not hesitate to use it in a situation on the street. I will continue to test it, and shoot it, and like I said... if it shits the bed, I will let you all know.

There is no way on earth I would ever say something is good to go, if I would not use it myself. It's a LOW COST alternative for those that can't afford better.

Here is the GEN 2 Millet DMS-1 on my PWS MK114 rifle. It is mounted in an American Defense "Recon" mount...

IMAG1167.jpg

A few pics of me shooting from the X3 bag. I was testing holds and POI shift in unorthodox shooting positions.

IMAG1168.jpg

IMAG1169.jpg

Cheers!

DMack

Thanks for the update Mack! I think I'll put the dms on my M4, it's already setting in a Recon mount, and start putting it through the paces during our training sessions. If it takes a crap I can always put the TA31 Acog back on until I come up with something else.

KSP,

I was running a TA31F on my MK114 until I switched it out with this DMS-1. I do like the ACOG, but... for patrol work, I think the DMS-1 is a bit better suited.

I can tell you this, I can shoot a MUCH tighter group with it at 50 yards, and evern 100 yards than I can with my ACOG. The 1 MOA dot in the middle of the circle is nice for point work.

Once you know the trajectory of the round, you can make hits at distance with it with little effort.

Here is a link to the DMS-1 reticle, users manual, and how it subtends at 4 power...

http://www.millettsights.com/downloads/DMS_Manual_1LIM_WEB.pdf

Hey, thanks for the link. I bought one used and have enjoyed it so far. Since I scored higher on the entrance exam than you, I don't have to rely on it for duty use*.

*(it's a cop / fireman thing, he'll understand)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sespe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey, thanks for the link. I bought one used and have enjoyed it so far. Since I scored higher on the entrance exam than you, I don't have to rely on it for duty use*.

*(it's a cop / fireman thing, he'll understand) </div></div>

Yeah, that's why God made cops........so firemen could have heros! Lol

I've always respected Hosers... they work MAYBE three hours per shift, get to work out all the time, cook great food, watch T.V. whenever they want, and all the ladies LOVE them...

All kidding aside, run your DMS-1 hard, and please input your experience in this thread.

When I tackle a piece of gear, it's my intent to use it realistically, but use it hard. I also like to put out the information accurately, and unbiased. Any other input is welcomed. If you have issues with the kit, let me know. I will see if I can replicate it.

So far, this set up is working well...

v/r

DMack

I have one on my AR. For the price, I find it hard to beat. Daylight illumination is not a big deal as the reticle is thick enough for visibility anyway. Glass is very good, esp. for the price.

I took my PWS MK114 out today, to verify zero. I have not shot it in about a week, but it has been bouncing around in my Jeep since then. I was shooting it out at various distances, the last time out... checking different holds and such.

When I fired my first group today at 50 yards, I used 55 grain American Eagle ammo. My group was precisely 1.5" low... this surprised me. I added in the elevation adjustments... I turned six clicks up (@ .5 MOA per click at 100 yards) and the group was spot on. Windage was not off, just elevation.

Now, I then ran a group of 69 grain Federal TRU and saw that it printed approximately .25" higher than the American Eagle printed, so I called it zeroed.

Did it shift zero? No. I had changed my zero to 100 to be able to shoot some groups to see if the 1 MOA dot was really 1 MOA.

So, having said that... the knobs move the erector precisely, I was able to re-zero at 50 yards, and now I am spot on.

I will shoot a match tomorrow with Battle Axe, and get a feel for this optic under a wee bit of induced stress.

More to follow...

Cheers!

DMack

The DMS is a big heavy scope for what it does. It's been out for many years. I got one to T&E from Millet back in '06 or '07.

There are a few companies selling a similar scope under different names. GSRC (or something like) that has this scope with a reticle of their own design. Primaryarms.com has one that is identical except for the reticle for around $120. Even has the spare battery in the windage cap. I've owned the DMS and the PA scopes, and they were serviceable glass for kicking around after woodchucks.

Ok, I ran the match today with the Millet DMS-1 on my PWS MK114... let's just say, that in the various stages, there were times I liked it, there were times I wanted to take it off and throw it.

In all fairness, I was bouncing my rifle around very hard, and it shook my confidence in this optic.

We wound up still placing in the top three teams, but... I missed a few shots that I know I would have normally made. The dot in the middle of the reticle did not show up well against some of the targets we had to shoot at. The illumination is not up to par to be seen even on a cloudy day.

The glass on 4x does give up a lot of light gathering, when on 1x it is clear. So, given the overcast day today, my performance was less than stellar.

I have to put blame where blame is due. The optic just could not perform in the environment I was running it in today...

In the end, it's a sub $200 optic, that does hold it's zero... but, the glass / reticle is not anything more than a $200 optic.

I will be taking this off of my MK114 now, and replacing it with a US Optics 1-4x Dual Reticle. Yes, I know you can buy 9 of the DMS-1's for what the USO costs... but, that's a small price to pay in my book.

My only requirement for this optic when I started with it, was that it hold it's zero. It does that. But, when you REALLY push it, you can find it's weaknesses.

I would love to see how it holds up against other optics in it's price point. That would be interesting...