• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes millett Trs-1--made my decision!!!

devildogandboy

Minuteman
Nov 8, 2012
Arizona
i'm thinking of getting this scope for target and varmint shooting. it's in my price range that i can afford.
was wondering if anybody had any experience with one or just general thoughts about it.
thanks in advance for any input.

i have decided to go with the TRS-1, hopefully it will work out!!

Re: millett Trs-1--opinions?

I have only had the chance to play with one without shooting, and I was not impressed at all. I also have a good friend who bought one a few years ago when they came out, and he dislikes his. He put it on a rifle, and never changes the adjustments because it doesn't track well. That's just my experience with them.

I had a mil/mil one that was mounted on a .308, shot with it out to 400yds and never had a problem with it. Tracked great, subtended/ranged at full power. I never had to get close to max adjustment ranges, it has about 20+ mils of elevation travel. Clicks are not as crisp as NF, but reasonable. Illumination was decent, if you crank it up past 6 or so you can see a bit of light bleed, but whenever I used illum I only used the lower settings. I take pretty good care of my shit so I couldn't speak to durability if you were to drop test it, but it's not dainty. For a chi-com piece of kit I am not displeased considering what I paid for it.

My 9 year old shoots with it now and the boy is almost MOA out to 200 so far

I had one and it was ok glass wise and tracked well for about six months then I started having problems with the side focus knob when I would turn it for different yardage the crosshais would shift up and down. If you could save up a little longer I would look into a Vortex PST 4x16 SFP. great value for your hard earned money. I have the 4x16x50 FFP and love it.

had a trs-1 before i knew better. Eyebox was super small at high x, almost to the point of being unusable. Optical quality wasn't very satisfactory either. There are a lot of better options out there-and for the extra features you are sacrificing on some important qualities.

I eventually replaced my TRS with a NF F1 and never looked back.

hr-that's a pretty darn good review. Your experience mirrors mine, except the reticle is subtending at 16 (despite that click on the power wheel) and it's 1/2 mil to the first bar. I may have a later model? The eye box is tight at 16x, but that has been a good thing for teaching my son consistency with his cheek weld.

As far as the suggestions posted for alternatives, shay is the only one even close to the same price range. As far as the "so-and-so had one and such-and-such broke", I have had much more expensive optics in for repair, and Bushnell's lifetime warrantee was a good selling point for me. It would not surprise me that the lower price may translate into looser QC, allowing a few bad apples to get out there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hrfunk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The link goes to a review of the TRS-1.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3211092&page=1

HRF

</div></div>

hrf, i read the whole article and found it very impressive that one would take such time and dedication to review one item in their spare time like that.
i have been contemplating on getting this TRS-1 and was quite torn between the yea's and nay's.
after your article i have decided that i am going with the TRS-1 and i am sure i will be happy with it.
i plan on using it for target and varmint hunting and it will be on my Savage bolt action that i change from 243AI to 308 at the time, looking forward to getting the 6.5creedmore for extended target shooting as well.
would like to thank you for the excellent article and helping me come to an decision.
i like the warranty factor and cs sounds good also.
thanks.
Bruce

Bruce,

I'm glad you found the review helpful, and I hope the scope serves you well. I will, however, leave you with two pieces of advice. First, don't ask the TRS to be something it's not. There are reasons the NF's, USO's, etc. cost so much more. The other thing I'll tell you is not to hesitate to contact Millett/Bushnell if you have any problems. Again, best of luck!

HRF

hrf, it's in my price range and i have always wondered about the quality of the TRS-1 and i think it will be what i expect.
i know that Bushnell has been around along time and the customer service should be good to deal with.
Bruce

I have one....its OK, I have he to have any problems with it, but I am waiting for the day when the clicks stop being consistent, the focus stops working, etc, its a good budget scope, but if I had it to do over I would have saved my money for a better scope.

Ii had one and had to send it back for repairs 2 times. Then I sent it back the third time and up graded to a Bushnell 4 -12 x 44

Much happier

Just curious; what problems did you have, and were they ultimately resolved?

Thanks,
HRF

first time the nobs were all wonky. Second time the glass had crap ( flakes inside the tube) third time I had no elevation adjustments.

I did have a friend that said he was thrilled with his. I don't see how that could be.

From what I can gather, quality control seems to be an issue. If you get a good one, it will perform well. The typical response by Millett CS when a bad one crops up is to send the customer a new scope. That's why I always advise people to call them if they have a problem. Glad you like your new Bushy, by the way.

HRF

I got one because I wanted a mil/mil scope to put on my .17 HMR small game rifle.

The turrets are mushy as all get out but so far it's been able to dial from 25-300 yards very consistently and the rabbits don't seem to notice that they're not crystal clear in the optic before they get hit.

I don't dial windage which is good because the windage knob isn't perpendicular to the scope body. You can see it wobble like a tire with a bent rim when you rotate it and it jams up after 3/4 of a turn. It zeroed OK so I lucked out on that.

The turret locks don't work for squat, I don't even bother with them anymore.

I've replaced the rear cap with a buttler creek one as the original that came with it was impossible to open; the cap would flip off the optic before it would open. Front cap is fine.

Illumination works well enough but I don't actually use it in the field so I can't comment on that.

It's "good enough" but honestly I wish I had ponied up for something better. I'll run it until it breaks and then dump it and get another Viper PST.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: devildogandboy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">hrf, it's in my price range and i have always wondered about the quality of the TRS-1 and i think it will be what i expect.
i know that Bushnell has been around along time and the customer service should be good to deal with.
Bruce </div></div>

hr, ordered mine tonight and we'll see how it turns out. i don't think i can be too disappointed as it is in my price range and has the features i wanted. i will keep you posted!
Bruce

Good luck. Be sure to report your thoughts and observations.

HRF

From my own personal experience save yourself the trouble and avoid this scope. 9 shots mounted on my custom mosin and the reticle canted and an o ring fell out inside the tube. Went with SWFA 10x42 to replace it. Buy once cry once is my rule of thumb when purchasing anything now. Mounted the SS 12x42 on my .308 and love it.

Also when sending it in for warranty work you pay to ship it and have to include a $15 dollar money order. Then all they send you back is a new hunk o junk and you repeat the process. They lure you in with the illumination and flashy features but it lacks what a LR precision scope should be. Good luck with your $300 paper weight I can't even sell it to recoop some of the $ I lost in buying it.