• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Millett TRS1 The test Concludes

hrfunk

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 18, 2010
Ohio
For those of you who have been following this evaluation from the beginning, thanks for taking the trip with me. I've decided to post my conclusion in a new thread so that anyone wanting to skip right to the end can do so easily by going directly to this post. For those of you who are doing just that, you may want to read my previous thread to see everything that went into this project. It can be found here:

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3211092&page=1

Today, I went back to the range with my AR and the TRS1. This time, I was exploring the outer limits of my effective range with this system (maximum effective range was set at 300 yards from the outset). My plan was to work my way back from 200 yards to three hundred in 25 yard increments. Thus, I set up on the 200 yard line, and added 1.5 MOA of elevation to the scope. Settling in behind the rifle, I fired a single round that impacted at 10 o'clock on a three inch target spotter in the center chest of my target. I was fortunate to fire the shot during a lull in the wind which was gusting from 10 to 15 mph and "fishtailing from 3:00 to 7:00. Most consistently, it was coming from about 5:00 (i.e. a half value wind). Still, it proved to be a challenge during my entire shooting session.

Since my first 200 yard shot confirmed the results of my last session, I didn't spend any more time or ammunition at that distance. Moving back to 225 yards, I discovered that the rise at the 200 yard firing point prevented me from seeing/engaging the target from there (I tried, unsuccessfully to use my pack to gain the necessary elevation). I encountered a similar, but less distinct problem at 250 yards. At that point, I simply gave up and moved back to the 300 yard line. There I added another 12.25 MOA to my 200 yard setting, and 1MOA of right windage. I fired two shots from 300 yards. The fist impacted the 3" spotter at 6:00. The second impacted at 12:00. Not too shabby considering the wind I was shooting in.

Since I was pressed for time, I moved up to the 100 yard line and reset my elevation knob for that distance. I also took off the 1MOA of right windage since the wind would not have as much time to influence the bullet from that distance. I then fired a three shot group. My first two shots were slightly high. I think this was my fault from moving and not quite settling into position before I started to fire. Even so, the resulting three shot group measured .7". For a look at the my target, follow the link below:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/818/img0145q.jpg/

After this, I decided to indulge myself with a few more 100 yard groups (something I've done very little of during this evaluation). Aiming at the head of the target, I fired a shot which impacted slightly high and left. Again, I think this was my fault, but a wind gust might have gotten me too. My next three rounds went into just slightly larger than a 1/2 MOA group (.559"). See image here:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/685/img0146ypq.jpg/

Next, I put a thumbtack in the abdomen of the target and used that for an aiming point. I fired three shots at the tack (but never did hit the damn thing!). That group came in at just slightly less than 1/2 MOA (.495"). The little hole just above the group is from the thumb tack. See that image here:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/189/img0147hi.jpg/

Finally, I targeted a two inch aiming spot at the bottom of the target. Since there was no specific aiming point, I just tried to quadrasect the spot. Again, my first shot was a bit high and left. The next two were touching in the target dot. Group size for these was .6". See here:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/705/img0148xf.jpg/

Well, there you have my final shooting test of this evaluation. The rifle system with the TRS1 is capable of precision fire to the 300 yard limit that I set as a max range at the beginning of this evaluation. Also, the average of my four final 100 yard groups (not counting the single flier in the head of the target) came in at .5885". My conclusion is to follow.

HRF

Re: Millett TRS1 The test Concludes

To this point, I have put the TRS1 through every reasonable test to determine its suitability for use as a precision optic for Law Enforcement Snipers except one. I have not exposed it to water. This is not on purpose, I just haven't had the combination of a rainy day and time to shoot. Before I deploy the TRS1 in rainy weather, I will be certain to test it under those conditions in training (if it fails, I'll report that here).

I want to say this at the outset. If you can afford a better scope than the TRS1 BUY IT! It is not, nor will it ever be, the equal of a Nightforce, USO, S&B or high-end Leupold. That being said, if you cannot afford one of the more expensive scopes, or if you work for an agency that absolutely will not release the funds for a top shelf optic, the TRS1 will likely serve your purposes. Even if it is only an interim scope to use until a better one can be acquired, it will perform the vast majority of things you will need it to do quite well. YOU WILL NEED TO WORK WITH THIS SCOPE AND LEARN ITS IDIOSYNCRASIES. A few of them are listed below.

PRO:
Usable, but not outstanding glass
Illuminated reticle
Good tracking
Positive return to zero
Large field of view
Parallax marking that match the indicators on the knob
Focusing ocular lens
warranty service

Cons:
Size and weight
occasional mushy clicks
Less than stunning glass
tedious reset process for target knobs
Outdated instruction book

Interestingly, while I was at the range today, a friend of mine was there with his rifle. His was wearing a Vortex Viper. With the scopes side by side, there was very little difference in their respective optical quality. If anything, the TRS1 was slightly brighter (it does have the advantage of a 50mm objective as opposed to the 40mm on the Viper).

In closing, I'll say thanks again to all who have followed this eval. I will try to answer any questions if you have them, and I'll update you if anything changes regarding the performance of the TRS1.

HRF

Thanks HRF for the extensive and time consuming review. I think I made a good decision in buying this scope as well and am glad that you have found it acceptable for your use.
JH

+1 HRF for the excellent info presented. I am taking a hard look at one of them for my .308 bolt gun.

Thank you HRF for a fun and informative read.

There is certainly a place for economy equipment and your thread demonstrates that a person does not necessarily have to suffer buyers remorse if he doesn't spent the milk money to put a scope on his rifle. I appreciate the emphasis on "reliable and repeatable" for a working rig.

Hey, I drive a pick up, not a Ferrari.

Thanks guys. Like I said once before, I was just trying to write the kind of review I'd like to read.

HRF

my first one was doa, didnt come close to advertised elevation. this was nib and they wanted me to pay shipping. i finally got thru to them, spoke with a guy in CS and he agreed to grab a new mil/mil, mine was mil/moa, and take it to the lab and have it gone over before sending it. and he sent a shipping label. i just bought a TRS-2 fixed 10x and have a DMS 1-4x i bought used. it had a zoom ring you would need a pipe wrench to turn. sent that in, paid freight this time, lol, and got a nib scope back in a week. ive been very happy and until i can step up to better and higher $$, the TRS has all the features in a low cost but decent, if you get a good one, scope.

This seems to be the trend. If you get a good one, it works. If you get a bad one, get ahold of them and they'll send you a good one.

HRF

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AXEMAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">my first one was doa, didnt come close to advertised elevation. this was nib and they wanted me to pay shipping. i finally got thru to them, spoke with a guy in CS and he agreed to grab a new mil/mil, mine was mil/moa, and take it to the lab and have it gone over before sending it. and he sent a shipping label. i just bought a TRS-2 fixed 10x and have a DMS 1-4x i bought used. it had a zoom ring you would need a pipe wrench to turn. sent that in, paid freight this time, lol, and got a nib scope back in a week. ive been very happy and until i can step up to better and higher $$, the TRS has all the features in a low cost but decent, if you get a good one, scope. </div></div>thanks for sharing these .
g.gif

I bought one, mounted it to my savage 110fp 300 win mag and within 20 shots the power ring had locked up. But it did hold its zero, I did not encounter any milkiness at higher powers, and it was repeatable (at least at 250yds) . I am not discounting this product as it is my stepping stone to another pst or razor, but now I have to wait until may for my replacement. It will get re-mounted and rezeroed upon its arrival if the funds aren't available for my permanant choice, but I am aggrevated it only lasted 20 rounds. Now customer service stated it was beyond repair and a new scope would take its place. I was impressed with the scope for twenty rounds;). Also, I bought this scope used so how mad can I really be. its my fault.

I've been following the write up as it goes along and my experiences pretty much fall in line with hrfunk's. I also went with the TRS for a rifle and really enjoyed the performance of the scope for the price I paid. However, I made the mistake of buying some higher quality glass and now I'm afraid my wallet will never know the end of it!

Thanks again hrfunk for the excellent test and write up.

I have been looking for a nice scope for my ar for some time now and just cant see spending 2k for a scope when I could have 2 more guns for that $$$ I have the LRS-1 on my 308 and it tracks like a dream and holds a zero. I just HATE how damn big they are.

Size and weight of the TRS1 are a couple of the "cons" I noted in this review. That being said, it's hard to quantify just how much this detracts from the scope's usefulness. Like some other aspects of the TRS1's design (such as optical quality), the value assigned to size and weight are entirely dependent upon the specific use a given shooter intends for it. If a particular rifle is only going to be carried from the parking lot at the range to the first available firing point, and then never moved again until it's time to pack up and go home, size and weight don't mean much. If its a hunting rig, however, and the shooter plans to tote it all over creation, they become a more important consideration.

Since my review was geared toward Law Enforcement Snipers, size and weight can make the system a pain (quite literally) to manage during a stalk. They can also make things difficult (or even impossible) inside a cramped hide (which is all of them, by the way!) Even so, pretty much every Sniper's system is characteristically somewhat heavy and bulky. There's no free lunch, and one of the things we work on in training is moving into a good position while lugging all our gear (or, at least, all we expect to need for the mission at hand). All else being equal, I think Snipers will agree that smaller and lighter is always preferable. Unfortunately, all things are rarely, if ever, equal in the Sniper's world. Hence, we lug a lot of stuff!

HRF

You may be a lot better at measuring with a reticle than I am. I'm not sure I could hold everything steady enough to distinguish a .1 mil deviation between the dot and the bar. Fortunately for me, the distances at which I'll be employing this system are short enough that I don't expect any major problems. In using the reticle for holds out to 300 yards, I've not had any real difficulty either, but again, I recognize that is a fairly short distance. Thanks for the comment.

HRF

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jacob J</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a TRS-1 also. My only complaint is the breakdown of the reticle. It slows down the ranging process. Check out this thread for details.
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...529#Post2106529

Jacob </div></div>

one call to bushnell and you will get a replacement

I've had one for over three years now on my Savage, "piggy, piggy" rifle. I tested the living crap out of this scope the first year that I had it, and was pretty impressed. This rifle alway's goes with our new sniper members when they go to sniper LEO school. It is used as a back up rifle in case a primary goes down in school. I have them zero the gun, and bring it with them. Many a sniper on our team has had to use the gun, especially when we still fielded our HS systems. One of our guy's had his gun go down on the final day, final qualification head shot. He simply pulled the Savage out with the TRS, and made the shot. This scope has sat in the field and on the range in pouring rain, and has never let me down. It is my go-to rifle when the weather is really shitty. I own numerous weapon systems with numerous scopes from U.S. Optics, down to my TRS. I can 100% say that this rifle and scope have a dedicated purpose in my line up. I appreciate the fact that you took the time to write an objective review of this. Gets really tiring hearing everyone shit on a product that doesn't deserve to be shit on.

I find it interesting that, combined, this thread and the original one I posted on TRS1 have nearly 4000 views; but, there have only been a handful of negative experiences noted. Of the posters who DID have problems with the TRS1 (myself included) Millett/Bushnell was quite responsive in rectifying the matter once it was reported. So I guess I'm a bit puzzled as to where the negative attitude regarding these scopes comes from. Perhaps there have been catastrophic failures that haven't been mentioned, but I think that's unlikely. Oh, well, chalk it up to another of life's mysteries.

HRF

it doesnt have a $3000 price tag so it must be crap. mine held up just fine on a 300 RUM

i had a 4-16x56 buck gold millett scope and the turret broke so i sent it in to bushnell and two weeks later they sent me a brand new 5-25x56 35mm tube lrs-1 mildot and it didnt cost me a penny other than 10 bucks for shipping. i know the millett scopes are not in the higher end of the spectrum but for the price they work well heve decent glass and track as they should, im not sure where all the negativity comes from as well.

That sounds like pretty good customer service, particularly in light of the difficulties being discussed in some other threads.

Semper Fi

HRF

Great job on the test conclusion.. thanks.
I feel the same way you do about the scope.

i used to own a TRS1, the only problem i found was a tiny spring located at the 12:00 position just forward and partially under the magnification ring that worked its way out. not sure what its purpose was. the scope operated fine without it.

I just checked my scope. I can't even see where a spring in that location would be. Did you send it back for a warranty repair?

HRF

I take that back. There's a small screw on the magnification ring (it's in the 4:00 position on mine, which is why I didn't see it at first). I suspect the spring you mentioned is secured beneath the screw. Most likely the screw worked its way out and released the spring. May I ask what you had it mounted on, and did you have it repaired under warranty?

Thanks,
HRF

Just a quick update. I was back at the range last Friday and I decided to attempt once more to reset my windage knob to zero. As I loosened the locking screw, I noticed that the point where it appeared to stop was not the true stopping point for the screw. In fact, once it reached that point, I was able to loosen it another three quarters of a turn or so before it actually stopped turning. It took a bit more torque on the screw to turn it that added amount, and I went slow to avoid damaging it. Once I did so, however, I was able to reset the turret without difficulty. More importanly, I was able to reset it without altering the setting. I still had to unlock the turret locking ring in order facilitate the reset (which is a feature I'd like to see Millett/Bushnell change), but otherwise, everything went smoothly. Those of you who have experienced similar "turret reset" difficulties to the those I noted in this review, may want to try turning the screw a little more to see if that alleviates the problem.

HRF

Thanks for doing these tests... I am seriously debating getting one for my .223 bolt action.

Thanks for the extensive write up and the elaborate testing paces you put the scope through. Much Appreciated. I have seen some Millett scopes at venders booths but never had the opportunity to shoot using their glass. I was dead set on getting a fixed power SS or a Elite 3200 but upon reading this I believe the Millett is in contention. Would you say that variable power is a necessity for a LE sniper? thanks again

Anyone know the differences between the LRS and the TRS line of scopes?

I would say variable power is not only a necessity for an LE Sniper, but an absolute requirement. On actual operations, I have set up in a hide as close as 35 yards from a bad guy's location. At that distance, 10X or higher is nearly useless due to the extremely small field of view. Truthfully, 4X is a bit on the high side at that distance.

Conversely, I've set up as far away as 280 yards. At that range, the higher power magnifications are a benefit. In a military setting, where engagements typically take place a greater distances, one can make due with a fixed power optic. So can those shooters who know their shots will always be between X and Y yards. In law enforcement work, however, we have to maintain as much flexibility as possible, and using a variable power optic is one of the ways we do that. For what it's worth, I'm usually happiest with a scope that offers around 4X on the low end, and 16X on the high end. That being said, a strong argument could be made for something like a 1-6X or 1-8X for Police Snipers (especially on an AR platform). I just personally prefer a little more magnification when the distances stretch out beyond 100 yards.

As to the differences between the TRS and the LRS; the basic differences between the two lines are as follows:

TRS - 30mm tube, 50mm objective, 4-16X magnification, 80 MOA of internal adjustment.

LRS - 35mm tube, 56mm objective, 6-25X magnification, 140 MOA of internal adjustment.

There are multiple models in both the TRS and LRS lines, each with specific features, but the major characteristics will be those noted above. The TRS was intended for tactical use, and the LRS is geared more for the long range shooter. Hope this answers your questions.

HRF

My TRS-1, 4-16X50 lasted 5 months before the T&E mech went BLEWY!
I guess a 308 ACC-SD had too much recoil.
Now Bushnell is saying I need the original sales reciept for service.
This despite the Vaunted Lifetime Guarentee
Anyone want a slightly used Millett?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SS-8541-dono</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i had a 4-16x56 buck gold millett scope and the turret broke so i sent it in to bushnell and two weeks later they sent me a brand new 5-25x56 35mm tube lrs-1 mildot and it didnt cost me a penny other than 10 bucks for shipping. i know the millett scopes are not in the higher end of the spectrum but for the price they work well heve decent glass and track as they should, im not sure where all the negativity comes from as well. </div></div>

customer service must have changed in the last couple weeks?

I've returned several Bushnells in the past and they did not ask for a reciept

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SS-8541-dono</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i had a 4-16x56 buck gold millett scope and the turret broke so i sent it in to bushnell and two weeks later they sent me a brand new 5-25x56 35mm tube lrs-1 mildot and it didnt cost me a penny other than 10 bucks for shipping. i know the millett scopes are not in the higher end of the spectrum but for the price they work well heve decent glass and track as they should, im not sure where all the negativity comes from as well. </div></div>

Anyone have a busted buck gold for sale? Can't complain about that. I have a LRS-1 with some stuff, a few pieces of something that my father had to really look for in it when i bought it (used). COnsidering sending it back to see what they think.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained. If it bothers you, call them up. I strongly suspect they'll take care of you. Although, it may cost you the dreaded $10.

Good Luck,
HRF

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Snutty</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My TRS-1, 4-16X50 lasted 5 months before the T&E mech went BLEWY!
I guess a 308 ACC-SD had too much recoil.
Now Bushnell is saying I need the original sales reciept for service.
This despite the Vaunted Lifetime Guarentee
Anyone want a slightly used Millett? </div></div>

This is exactly the reason why I would not use a scope of this quality (budget scope?) for law enforcement use.

YMMV, and if you choose to use one for that purpose I wish you the best of luck with it.

Just my .02 cents.

I was planning to let this thread drift off into the cyber sunset without further comment until I received a PM from a gentleman thanking me for my work during this review (hard to think of this as work). When I finished my response to him, I thought it would make a fitting conclusion to this project. Since I don't identify him in the response, I hope he will not mind my posting it here.

You are most certainly welcome. I really did not start out with the intent of becoming the Millett spokesman on the hide, nor did I want to carry the torch for the "budget scope vs. the high-end crowd." I just wanted to establish a set of criteria for the Millett TRS1 and determine how well it met (or didn't meet) them. I also wanted to write an in depth report of my findings based on first hand experience rather than hear-say. This latter effort was, in part, to encourage others to do the same, instead of parroting cliche's (buy once, cry once; and so forth), and making their purchasing decisions based on the opinions of others who likewise had no experience with a product they either championed or chastised.

It's been an odd ride. I think for everyone who scoffs at my findings, there is another who appreciates them. The two threads combined now have over five thousand views, so it would seem, like them or hate them, somebody is interested in the information they contain. One thing I have noted, not with surprise but with a measure of dismay, is a segment of the group that seems to be waiting and hoping the TRS1 fails miserably, or that I turn out to be some sort of lying lunitic whose opinions can be dismissed as the mere rantings of a deranged mind. Indeed, there seems to be an element of desperation on the part of a few to discredit my report. I guess that attitude is driven by a need to feel secure in the knowledge that the high price they paid for a particular scope was an absolute necessity and not some fanciful indulgence. This even though I've never levied such a charge; and I've tried to point out that the TRS1 is not the equivalent of the high end scopes. On at least one occasion I even stated unequivocally: "if you can afford a better scope, buy it."

In any case, I was back on the range as recently as yesterday, and the TRS1 continues to acquit itself admirably. Within the parameters I established during my evaluation, I have no problems deploying it operationally.

Take Care,
HRF

i had a trs-1 and i was not happy at all with the clarity of the mildots. Sold it the next day

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Porter24</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i had a trs-1 and i was not happy at all with the clarity of the mildots. Sold it the next day </div></div>

You do know there is an ocular adjustment ring to bring the reticle into focus right? Furthermore, most retailers will take a return within the amount of time you've claimed to have owned the scope.

K9-

i found that hiding under my butler caps and i got it from a guy off the hide. Idk i might try another one again sometime

Hrfunk I want to thank you for such an in depth and honest review. To often we see reviews that just say awesome or it sucks. You obviously spent some time on this and I just wanted to let you know that it appreciated everything you put into it. And on a side note thank you putting your life on the line every day in protection of this country and its people. Have a great Memorial Day.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hrfunk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
It's been an odd ride. I think for everyone who scoffs at my findings, there is another who appreciates them. The two threads combined now have over five thousand views, so it would seem, like them or hate them, somebody is interested in the information they contain. One thing I have noted, not with surprise but with a measure of dismay, is a segment of the group that seems to be waiting and hoping the TRS1 fails miserably, or that I turn out to be some sort of lying lunitic whose opinions can be dismissed as the mere rantings of a deranged mind. Indeed, there seems to be an element of desperation on the part of a few to discredit my report. I guess that attitude is driven by a need to feel secure in the knowledge that the high price they paid for a particular scope was an absolute necessity and not some fanciful indulgence. This even though I've never levied such a charge; and I've tried to point out that the TRS1 is not the equivalent of the high end scopes. On at least one occasion I even stated unequivocally: "if you can afford a better scope, buy it."

Take Care,
HRF
</div></div>

Sir,

I suspect that your post is directed at least in part at my previous comments, so for the record let me clarify my position.

First, as I stated earlier, I do have one of these scopes and while I believe it is a fine piece of kit for fun, plinking, hunting or target shooting, I stand by my position that I do not believe it is something I would employ in a law enforcement situation. For a one-way range this scope is more than adequate, as long as you do not depend on the measurements of the reticle to be precise and are willing to take the time to verify all ranges that you will be shooting at. However, for a two-way range, I believe it is a mistake to use a scope of this quality. Would you use a pistol that works perfectly 95% of the time? 98%? Yes, we all train to be able to handle malfunctions, but do you want to depend on it for your life or the life of another? If it doesn’t go bang each and every time you pull the trigger than it’s not reliable. Does that statement not relate to other equipment as well?

Yes, there are problems reported with all scopes, but the only ones I am aware of with higher end scopes are minor issues that do not prohibit their use as compared to the more prominent failures reported with this level of scopes.

I have enjoyed your write up and applaud your efforts to present and elaborate on your findings. Contrary to your statement I have never waited for or hoped to see the failures of this scope and I do not believe that you are a lunatic. I just don’t agree with employing this level of equipment in a situation of this magnitude.

I understand that some departments simply do not have the budget for certain equipment, but what I don’t understand is why said departments do not pursue grants to pay for these things, especially when there is so much money currently available. Not to start a discussion about the stimulus packages, but a significant amount of those monies went to DHS and Justice who have been handing it out to law enforcement agencies. How do I know that? My current agency (not the one I retired from) has received, and continues to receive significant amounts of money from several sources. We realized that our grant writing process was lacking, so we hired a person from a state university to research and write them for us. The first grant we received more than paid for this service, so essentially it costs us nothing. You might be surprised to learn just how much money we have received in grants. Sorry for the brief departure from the discussion, but I wanted to make a point that even if your department doesn’t have the financial resources to purchase quality equipment, there are many other avenues available to obtain it.

As I have previously stated, I applaud your efforts to test and present your findings on this scope. I think the Millet is a good scope, especially given its price point, and it is certainly worthy of use for more than one task. My opinion (and it is just that - my opinion) is simply that I do not believe a scope of this level belongs on a two-way range. I do not believe that statement makes me a high end scope snob, simply a realist.

That’s just my opinion, and I could be wrong, but in this case I don’t think so. I do not claim to be the duty expert, but my position is based at least in part on a career that spans some thirty years in law enforcement. Please take my opinion for what it is and realize that it is not an attack on you or your efforts, simply a dissenting position on a piece of equipment and its use.

And like I have stated before, if you do choose to employ it I wish you only good things with it.

Best of luck to you and I hope that clears some things up.

Thank you for the clarification. Electronic text does not always convey the nuances of other forms of communication, and it becomes difficult sometimes to determine the underlying sentiment. I sincerely apologize if I misjudged you in this regard.

Without going into a long and boring explanation, I'll simply say that grants have not been a tremendous resource for our department. Even if we did receive one, I suspect it would be utilized for things other than an optic for one or two officers. In any case, the things I've noted regarding the subject of this thread have been accurate, and I don't feel it is hindering my capabilities within the limitations of the overall system. Which is to say: close range, multiple engagements, open air or very lightly constructed structures. Given the performance I've seen to date, I see no problem with operational deployment in that environment. That being said, I doubt this will be the last optic to ever be mounted to my rifle. I've had great service from the Leupold LR/T mounted on my 700P, and I could foresee one of them riding on the AR at some point in the future. I also know, sure as I sit here, that I'll be making that purchase out of my own pocket. That's just reality, no reason to shed any tears over it.

For the present, however, the TRS1 is doing what I need it to do. Part of the reason I've continued to work with it so diligently even after this evaluation was completed is to monitor its performance and insure that I don't note any degradation. In that respect, I suppose it's fair to say the " evaluation" of the TRS1 will never truly end.

Take care, and my best to you and yours.

HRF

No sweat and thanks for the post.

I'm glad the scope is working for you and I hope it continues to do so for as long as you need it to.

If I can, I would ask you not to resign yourself to purchasing all your own equipment. If it ultimately comes down to that, oh well, do the best you can. In the interim I would suggest that you do your own research on grant programs. There is a plethora of grants currently available and while some are very specific with regards to what they can be used for, a significant number of them are not.

The money is there and if your supervisors/powers that be are not willing to put in the work to get them then you can always do the research yourself. It’s really not hard and there is lots of assistance available for you to draw from. Yes it can be a little work, but the potential pay off can be more than worth the time and effort.

I don’t mean to preach, and if I am doing that just tell me to shut up, but I hate to see departments and more importantly individual officers work without the absolute best equipment, especially today when there is so much money available.

Again, I wish you the best of luck, and stay safe.