• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Millett vs. Hawke

whitefarms4840

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 22, 2011
SW Kansas
Lookin at Millet 4-16x50 or 6-25x56 tactical, and Hawke 4.5-14x42, 6.5-20x42 sidewinder tacticals. Heard nothing but good about Millett, but have heard very little on Hawke. I like the Hawke 20x Illum Mil-Dot Reticle the best out of these. Any pros/cons on either? Thanks in advance.

Re: Millett vs. Hawke

Optically the Hawke is superior to the Millett. I liken the glass in the Hawke to a touch better than that used in the Nikon Monarch line (better resolution & clarity to my eyes).

Mechanically, the Hawke is sound with accurate tracking & hold of zero. The adjustments are solid (not mushy) and the overall ergonomics are excellent.

I've owned the Millett 56mm objective model & wasn't at all impressed. The optical quality left a lot to be desired & the scope itself was a BEAST. I currently run two Hawke Sidewinder Tac 30 scopes (one is the 10x on a custom .260 & the other is the 4.5-14x version atop a Savage 6.5x284) and both have been absolutely reliable & up to the task for my applications.

note: In the interest of transparency, I am a Hawke dealer & sell them along with the Millett line. I probably sell 20 Hawke scopes for every 1 Millett so there could be some bias on my part...

My buddy has the Millet (I think 4-16?) and it broke the first round on his new .308 After the first shot there were some black specs on the reticle, which we believe was some sort of seal. Shot a few more rounds and the 'pieces' moved, but a larger piece appeared. Millet customer service was good, they accepted the scope back and sent him a new one. With that said, there is now another small black spec floating to the bottom right of the reticle..probably the same problem.

That scope looked like a snowy day compared to my Bushnell 4200 6-24. The bushnell was brighter at 24x than the Millet was at 16. Btw, this was towards the end of the day, right before dusk. Mid day, both were relatively equal, with the Bushnell pushing out the Millet in all regards (optically).

Needless to say, that's enough for me not to consider one.

I have used both and prefer the Hawke. As a matter of fact I am going to pick up another Hawke here shortly. I have been really impressed with this scope. IMHO it is the best for the money.

I have also purchased from Ceylon before and I can tell you his customer service is second to none.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: toolfanatic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are these brands FFP or SFP?.. Thanks for the help fellas. </div></div>

Both are SFP.

I have 2 Hawke Sidewinder Tactical 30's, the 4-14x42, and the 6.5-20x42. Great optic and features for the price point, track reliably and are loaded with features you will get on higher end glass. Don't expect NF quality. Be realistic in comparison, and you will probably find that the features, customer service, and reliability will rival scopes in double the price range.

Good luck.

Lets not forget about the ballistic software that is matched to your load and reticle. +1 for Hawke