• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Milling Machines (photos Added)

Re: Milling Machines

I don't know of any right off hand but now is a good time to buy a used one. Market is flooded with them and you can get one for pennies on the dollar.

Spend a little time on practicalmachinist.com there is quite a lot of info there on these mills.

I have bought several off of craigslist, I prefer that to egay, I can go local and look at the mills in person. Some, not all of the more "pretty" mills, may look nice but need more rework before being half the mill a more "used" model is. Plus, if you have a trailer or buddy with a wrecker, you can take it home and save the shipping expense.

Other thing I like about craigslist, is I can usually get a lot of accesories with the equipment, for next to nothing. If you show up with folding money in hand, you can get lots of stuff most of the time, if you are a good negotiator.

How far are you willing to drive? My friend has a Bridgeport CNC that is collecting dust at his airport hangar. It's an old style cnc but it's still a Bridgeport. PM me and I can get you some contact info if you're intersted.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mikee Booshay</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Spend a little time on practicalmachinist.com there is quite a lot of info there on these mills.

I have bought several off of craigslist, I prefer that to egay, I can go local and look at the mills in person. Some, not all of the more "pretty" mills, may look nice but need more rework before being half the mill a more "used" model is. Plus, if you have a trailer or buddy with a wrecker, you can take it home and save the shipping expense.

Other thing I like about craigslist, is I can usually get a lot of accesories with the equipment, for next to nothing. If you show up with folding money in hand, you can get lots of stuff most of the time, if you are a good negotiator. </div></div>

Craigslist is great, but keep your eyes on ebay too. It AMAZES me how cheap machine tools go for on ebay.

As you said, buy a solid machine with lots and lots if iron.

It also AMAZES me how many folks choose a flimsy little shit machine with no extras, when for the same money can get them a fully tooled older model that is RIGID.

+1 on the craigslist suggestion. You probably don't want to ship a heavy and fragile machine, so buying local makes a ton of sense.

Deals are out there, but not at the prices of 2-3 years ago.

The pic I sent you shows a 9x42 older jet that had perfect ways and next to no use....one shot and a bunch of tooling, most still in the plastic. I picked it up 150 miles away on c list for $1500 when a fellow passed away and his family sold his place. I looked for a long time to find a good one for a good price. I picked up my hardinge chucker for $500 and it was used on plastic only in a small shop......keep cash in the wallet and keep looking.....they pop up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hero's machine</div><div class="ubbcode-body">....keep cash in the wallet and keep looking.....they pop up. </div></div>

This is the secret to buying things off c-list cheap. Have cash in your pocket, not the bank, not the credit card. Cash.

Invariably, when you find that great deal on a mill, rifle, scope, whatever. If you can pay the man, on the spot, not "I'll be back later with the money", you can make great deals.

And show up in a truck, be able to haul it away right then too. I bought two BP's for the shop a couple years ago, they were going to scrap later that week, they needed the space. Made the deal, had our truck there in an hour and made off with two almost new machines, power X and Y, power drawbar plus DRO's.

mike, had I showed up with a trailer instead of my truck only, I would have brought home 20k lbs of other iron for pennies on the dollar too. The guy offered me a 100 ton hydraulic press and a huge anvil, but I could not haul it!

Ok tell me what you all think???? This is a Precision Mathews 9x36 with power feed digital readout coolant pump system and a VR for 3phase to 220 on mill...$5000. Oh with a 2 year warranty and FREE shipping

DSC01526.jpg

DSC01531.jpg

DSC01532.jpg

DSC01534.jpg

The casting on that looks a bit wimpy, i would scour the used market and buy quality used as opposed to cheap new.

I like the light, wish mine had something other than a BBQ grill light clamped on it.

Looks good as long as the tooling available fits it which I am sure it does. We all used to chant buy american iron.......well, the Taiwanese stuff is not bad and buying old american iron is good but shipping kills you. Dont look back, make some chips and we look forward to updates on a regular basis from you.

Making the call of new vs. used really comes down to what kind of value you place upon your time. My used Taiwanese 10x54 (including an old Mitutoyo DRO and a bunch of tooling) was half the cost of that new 9x36 PM, but it took several hours of disassembly, cleaning, reassembly, and setup. You also need to decide how much machine you need, how much you can afford, and how much you can fit into your shop.

Good luck!

My older JET which is a "fun" sized mill. It fits height wise in the basement and is heavy and accurate. It came from a toolroom shop for a local news paper that went under. Used little and still nice and tight. Add a working DRO and you are ready to roll......
The mill was $700 and money well spent.

PICT0006.jpg

Re: Milling Machines (photos Added)

I scored a PM949V with a DRO from Matt pre-owned but never hooked up for not much more. I'm pretty happy with it. Mine seems identical to the Bridgeport variables in the same size range as far as where all the levers are and how it works. I have a 3 axis DRO on mine and it really speeds things up and takes the backlash errors out as it reads actual movement rather than dial position. I could live without it but I like it on there and it does things you could never do unless you were some sort of math genuis as far as drilling bolt pattern circles and memorizing points.

I have the Lathe PM1440BV on order through Matt and he told me about these machines. He has them in stock and i beleive this to be all i need. I do not want a Bench Mill So this moves it up to this level machine. Machine weight is still 1800lbs so the static stiffness of the machine will be alot better than a bench mill. I had not planned on a mill yet so i have to redecorate my shop for it.LOL

Randy you missed a good day in the shop today, you shoulda rode down instead of hunting crap to buy all day on Sniper's Hide.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cal50</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My older JET which is a "fun" sized mill. It fits height wise in the basement and is heavy and accurate. It came from a toolroom shop for a local news paper that went under. Used little and still nice and tight. Add a working DRO and you are ready to roll......
The mill was $700 and money well spent.

PICT0006.jpg

</div></div>

This kind of deal never happens for me. Great buy!!!! I have a 2001 Bridgeport, and can say that I'm very happy with it. Take your time, there are a lot of good deals out there with so many shops closing down. Best of luck to you.

NO your so right...All those deals just pass me by. Either i dont have money or i already bought one....

There is a jet/rong fu round column in rathdrum id for $800. I have not looked at it, but spoke to the owner who builds gun mounts for helos. He tells me it is what they built the prototype on and are now full cnc. Could be a good buy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GLOWWORM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Whats that white stuff all over the Yard????? </div></div>

That's funny. I think the kids call it fun, and the adults call it work. Just glad I don't have to deal with that stuff. Sorry guys, I know most of you have to deal with it. This is our favorite time of year to go out and shoot.

You have not lived till you smash an smk into a coyote a long ways off in a pure white field.....ahh, happiness.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: STR</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GLOWWORM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Whats that white stuff all over the Yard????? </div></div>

That's funny. I think the kids call it fun, and the adults call it work. Just glad I don't have to deal with that stuff. Sorry guys, I know most of you have to deal with it. This is our favorite time of year to go out and shoot. </div></div>

funny thing, is this is when the crops are down, so its our favorite time to go shoot as well. only differance is you wear a jacket, i wear 700 dollars worth of cold weather gear so i can stay outside for 8 hours on the range.

and for you southerly folks, that white stuff on the ground is refered to as "snow"

Ok just got the Word....My Mill was placed on the freight truck today. Should be here end of week....3 axis DRO with VFD installed. Now if only my Lathe will get here?????

Well this has been a long awaited weekend////My Mill showed up friday and DAM it was heavy. I thought getting it in the shop was tuff. But removing all the cosmoline stuff has been a night mare. Matt from Quality Machine Tool sure packed this one up well.... Will post some photos once the Lathe gets in the shop...My Man Cave is getting very close ! ! ! !

WD40 works well also. Just make sure to recover it with a rust preventative. I like LPS 2 and LPS 3 for the table and Vactra 2 on the ways.

kerosene worked great for me when it was time to remove packaging grease off of my machines.

WD40, Kerosene & a cold beverage will do the trick. Nothing fast about it. When you get done your trash can will look like a high school teenagers.

Kc

Anything Citrus based will take it off quick! I used #266 Citrol Citrus Cleaner & Industrial Degreaser made by Schaeffer's, there's also a 3m citrus cleaner. Be careful though! if there is no clear coat it will make it gummy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GLOWWORM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anybody got any good connections for milling machines???? </div></div>

My dad has one for sale right now...

He's down in Elephant Butte picking it up right now, I posted it here for sale a while back - let me see if I can dig that up.

OK I don't have the pic handy but this is from the email he sent me, previous - when he gets back I'll post it back for sale:

<span style="font-weight: bold">
$3500 with extra tooling. A grizzly 6inch vise, a 4 inch vise, dividing head, and an indexer.

the drill press costs$525 and i'll let that go for $300</span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ArcticLight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OK I don't have the pic handy but this is from the email he sent me, previous - when he gets back I'll post it back for sale:

<span style="font-weight: bold">
$3500 with extra tooling. A grizzly 6inch vise, a 4 inch vise, dividing head, and an indexer.

the drill press costs$525 and i'll let that go for $300</span>
</div></div>

Here are the pics he sent me back when it was listed, nice looking machine, I just couldn't generate the funds..

mill1.jpg

mill2.jpg

mill3.jpg

Right on, well I think that it's still for sale, he's going down to EB tonight to get it but it's going in storage...

I have an old Eagle CNC that I've debated on selling.

It's a knee mill with a CAT 40 spindle drive. (robust)

Old sucker, made in the late 80's. There's a few quirks to be worked out of it. I've been troubleshooting this odd issue with a drive card. Haven't sorted it out yet, but getting closer.

Once its working it'll be a monster of a machine for most gun work.

Still debating on selling as the HAAS and my vert/horozontal manual take care of everything we do.

GW, sorry I flaked on getting you that measurement. I scored a nasty cold after the last day of elk season and spaced it while licking my wounds....I will grab it for ya.

I doubt there are many knee mills that would not be good enough for gunsmithing that I do.

I have a Rockwell 21-100 mill for gunsmithing.
My brother has a Clausing 8520 mill for gunsmithing.

Those mills weigh ~ 1000 pounds and take up about as much floor space as a drill press.

Those are 40 year old US made mills, but the same sort of thing is available from China.

41MgSx22bGL.jpg

$2700 from Grizzly

http://www.benchtest.com/w-grizzly_mill_revisited.html

I'm glad i saw this posting, i've been looking around for a mill here at the house. I'm looking to use mine in 2 different ways, fist I am looking for the traditional mill, second I am looking to convert it to CNC yet still have manual controls for small stuff.

I've found stepper motor kits out there, and everything else needed to do this for really reasonable prices. I have scoured CL here locally and have found some old machines out there, but when we went to look at them they had some problems that were expensive to repair (i have an old machinist friend who has gone along with me and noticed them, the sellers claimed they didn't know the problems either).

I think I am likely going to settle on a Grizzly G0705 machine. It's 2HP, $1500 or so delivered and a pretty good deal all in all. Sure it's not a bridgeport, but I have seen a few of these grizzly's out there in action (the 1hp jobbers) and they work pretty good, but 2 HP in 220 volt is FAR better.