• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Milling Slide for Large Lathe?

kombayotch

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 20, 2007
I've recently had to downsize my shop and ended up getting rid of my knee mill. Was only really using it to drill the occasional gas port on an AR barrel and figured I could do that with a milling attachment on the lathe. I thought there were more options available for this, but it appears that that's only the case for the tiny lathes like the Sherline and the Taig. Wondering if anyone has rigged something up on a lager lathe like a PM1236 or similar? What milling slide did you use and how did you attach it to the slide? Thinking that attaching the angle bracket to a plate on the cross slide is probably the easiest thing...

1622822318382.png

I am interested in this response. I use a Bridgeport and LaBlonde lathe. My stupid - Didn't know you could "mill" on a lathe.

Couldn't you put the barrel in something like a boring bar holder held in the steady rest ? Drill chuck in the three jaw feed with the Z axis ? Up and down would be the tough adjustment but it could be done .

Another option ....
PostMiller.jpg

The Palmgren milling attachments show up often on ebay. Should have got one years ago just because but have never really needed.

Reactions: kombayotch
I understand you can use them if you go slow, small and close. Every machinist I have talked to thinks they are a joke. You are adding stresses that mills are designed to handle but lathes are not. Good luck all the same. I would be curious to read any success stories on them.

I believe the OP wants to drill gas ports in barrels that wouldnt stress a lathe too much if at all . Any other milling I would just pick up a mini mill and save the wear on the lathe .

Reactions: iceng
I found this 1964 Palmgren angle vise on ebay a few years ago. Cleaned it up and it has been a favorite bench top small vise. I use it with
fabricated thin lead vise jaw inserts that are quite handy to secure small gun parts. Apologies in advance for accompanying hemorrhoid solution advertisement.
IMG_8199 copy.JPG
Palmgren Angle Vise Ad Popular Mechanics Magazine 1964 copy.png
IMG_8196 copy.JPG
IMG_4459 copy.JPG
IMG_8208 copy.JPG

Actually sold one like that with the mill. I need the Z axis travel though, so it needs to have a leadscrew like the ones above.

If it's just a one off, is there a small hacker space you can hire ?? Surely you are not gonna be drilling a zillion holes, so just spend a few bucks to hire a shop for an hour ?

Haven't owned or used a milling attachment on a lathe, but I don't see it as being well suited for drilling precision holes.
Maybe add an X/Y table to your drill press? I'm thinking it would be much easier to indicate the workpiece with that setup.
Essentially the same as using a mill; you're drilling (and not milling)- no side load on the spindle.